oldwomanc6

Superbowl Food

OK, folks, we all know the game isn't really about the sport. It's about the commercials and Knoshes.

We can't control the commercials, but we do have some input into what we eat and drink during the game......

So, what are you planning on serving (or eating) and drinking for the BIG EVENT?

My favorite is Pickle Pinwheels.

They are the weirdest combination of pickle wrapped in cream cheese and ham that ever delighted a mouth.

1 ham slice, dried with paper towel
1 pickle, dried with paper towel
room temperature cream cheese

Smear the ham slice with a thin layer of cream cheese, roll the pickle up in this. Refrigerate for several hours until firm. Slice into 1/4" discs and arrange on a platter with toothpicks.

Repeat with as many pickles and ham slices as you can get your hands on. I've never had leftovers. :)

This is mine. What's yours? Do tell. :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

OK, folks, we all know the game isn't really about the sport. It's about the commercials and Knoshes.

We can't control the commercials, but we do have some input into what we eat and drink during the game......

So, what are you planning on serving (or eating) and drinking for the BIG EVENT?

My favorite is Pickle Pinwheels.

They are the weirdest combination of pickle wrapped in cream cheese and ham that ever delighted a mouth.

1 ham slice, dried with paper towel
1 pickle, dried with paper towel
room temperature cream cheese

Smear the ham slice with a thin layer of cream cheese, roll the pickle up in this. Refrigerate for several hours until firm. Slice into 1/4" discs and arrange on a platter with toothpicks.

Repeat with as many pickles and ham slices as you can get your hands on. I've never had leftovers. :)

This is mine. What's yours? Do tell. :)

Chili, chips and beer.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My wife is already busy cooking for the big day.

The ham meat balls, shrimp pate atop bruschetta with cocktail sauce, and beef roast samples (apparently destined for some sort of meat salad) were very good.

I can't wait for the pulled pork sliders which will follow tomorrow.

There are also a couple pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream (Cherry Garcia and Late Night snack) and la petit ecolier dark chocolate topped butter cookies.

Beer will be our standard refrigerator staples of Stone IPA (crisp and tasty) and Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA (a nice live IPA like Bridgeport would make if they weren't so afraid of hops, but not as yummy as Russian River Blind Pig).

pulled pork, steak fries, pizza, of course the veggie tray, cheese and sausage tray, chips, salsa, guacamole (love it) buffalo wings, we're also going to deep fry a turkey and whatever anyone else brings!! lol
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Elvisio and Priscilla Rodriguez were up at 0630 this morning to fire up the smoker. It is currently living up to its name, smoking away gently in the back yard, incubating two racks of beef ribs and a pork rib roast.

This is actually the first time I've used the Weber Smoker. So far, things have gone reasonably well. Hopefully things will turn out edible. My guess is two or three more tries and I'll have it down to a science and the awesomesauce will really start flowing.

EDIT TO ADD: The rib roast came out at 1100, absolutely AWESOME. The ribs won't be done until around noon, but if they taste half as good as they look, they may not make it to the Super Bowl party. B|

Elvisio "is there a more American activity than stuffing your face while athletes show us how fit they are" Rodriguez

I need to hit the grocery store today; planning to wait till about 4:30 - I figure the first quarter should be about over by then, so all the last-minute shoppers will be gone and the "run out at halftime" folks won't be there yet.

So that's my Super Bowl food plan ... go grocery shopping during the game. :P;)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I need to hit the grocery store today; planning to wait till about 4:30 - I figure the first quarter should be about over by then, so all the last-minute shoppers will be gone and the "run out at halftime" folks won't be there yet.

I love that strategy! B|

I might just do that next year.:ph34r:
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I ran out during the first quarter and there was no traffic on the road on my way to get some Widmers Hef and a VERY sweet set of brand new .45 ACP Carbide dies for $40 in Mill Creek.. SOOOO stoked. Time to play!!!

I love that strategy! B|

It didn't work out quite as well as I'd hoped, perhaps because the grocery store I needed to go to today was my local Whole Foods, aka the Hipster Whole Foods. Apparently hipsters don't do the Super Bowl, or if they do so, they do it ironically, which means of course you're late to a party. It was somewhat less crowded than a typical weekend afternoon, but still pretty busy. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I love that strategy! B|

It didn't work out quite as well as I'd hoped, perhaps because the grocery store I needed to go to today was my local Whole Foods, aka the Hipster Whole Foods. Apparently hipsters don't do the Super Bowl, or if they do so, they do it ironically, which means of course you're late to a party. It was somewhat less crowded than a typical weekend afternoon, but still pretty busy. :D:D

Is there an ironic :D? Maybe: :P?. No, how about: :S? It probably looks like: [:/]

Nope, probably looks vacuous. No emoticon for that. :D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9