Krosfyah

why are there no black skydivers?

Has nobody seen the movie "Dropzone"!

Wesley Snipes could swoop, land on buildings, beat up other big guys at boogies, talk in freefall, and do demo jumps onto the whitehouse lawn after an 8 way! and this was all in his first week! Heck, if this movie was longer he'd a caught up to Gary Bussey in no time!

The real reason is that people of color are discouraged from jumping by the little known AFF INSTRUCTOR"S UNION

After seeing that movie they figured, " if this is any indication of the future... we're out of a job!:)

I think you are on to something!!!
Explain yourself ChopChop!
Can't we all just get along? Everyone skydives better than me anyway what do I care what color their skin is?

I asked a black friend of mine the same thing a while ago and she thought that skydiving is just one of those "crazy white people's sports" and it's tough enough being black without also throwing yourself out of planes.

So I would go for more of a cultural rather than economic explanation. After all, there are plenty of white people eating ramen noodles and spending their last dime on skydiving - it's not 100% a yuppie sport by any means.

Joe

I've noticed the same thing in rock climbing and paragliding - there's very few black people participating. There's a significant number of Asians in both sports, though.

Toshi

Hey, psipike02, you have any input for this question?:D

Does it have anything to do with night jumps?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hahahahaha....well night jumps should be fun....not only won't you be able to see me, but my black jumpsuit will give me added guise of invisibility. Sweeeeeeeeettt...

Darkness is spreading....

And sartre, wait until tuesday :P

You better be coming out saturday and sunday
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

The real reason is that people of color are discouraged from jumping by the little known AFF INSTRUCTOR"S UNION

I think you are on to something!!!
Explain yourself ChopChop!
Can't we all just get along? Everyone skydives better than me anyway what do I care what color their skin is?

Hey!!! I only broke one.. :S

it was the language barrier.. I said "Feet and knees together" He heard "Flare".. Deuce is helping me with my ebonics so I can be a better instructor to the next one that comes along.. if ever.. they are a rare breed.. black skydivers.. ;)
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Hahahahaha....well night jumps should be fun....not only won't you be able to see me, but my black jumpsuit will give me added guise of invisibility. Sweeeeeeeeettt...

Darkness is spreading....

And sartre, wait until tuesday :P

You better be coming out saturday and sunday

I can't wait to meet you at a boogie somewhere.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

And sartre, wait until tuesday

What, when I kick your ass, black jumpsuit and all?

You know, I've already nailed my sitfly, I've just been holding back so as not to embarass everyone.:P
---------------------------------------------------------

edited because I heard there's stalkers 'round these parts!

Asian and skydiving here!

I second the talk about exposure. If you know someone who skydives, or has tried it before, chances of you trying are higher. Granted, none of my friends, Asian or otherwise, skydives, that didn't stop me.

It's not about the color of your skin. It's about enjoying each jump and doing it all over again.
Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

I have a phobia for moobs. Thanks, youknowwhoyouare.

We're too busy learning Ice Hockey...:ph34r:

Actually, I've met a lot of black skydivers in my limited travels. At Raeford there's a group of BEAUTIFUL black WOMEN that hang out and jump alot ( I wanted to get in with them, but I'm SOOOO not ready)...

And I met Ranger Jones there...*sigh*...

Then there's the Brother that jumps with the Golden Knights (I met him when he was with 82nd).

We're out there..maybe not so much in the UK..visit other dropzones or go to the icerink. You'll find us.~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

Well this thread is a bit dated but

"Here is One"
;)

I even got my coach rating last year. Can't speak for other black people but my wife and I will try almost anything once. We tried skydiving, I "LOVED" it, she "LIKED" it. I kept jumping she stopped at CAT "C".

Oh and by the way we also ski, and not just east coast stuff. We really rather prefer Europe.

Gotta REPresent

"If a thousand people agree on a dumb ideal, it's STILL a dumb ideal."

Skully Bro #1 - POPS# 10440

Well this thread is a bit dated but

"Here is One"
;)

I even got my coach rating last year. Can't speak for other black people but my wife and I will try almost anything once. We tried skydiving, I "LOVED" it, she "LIKED" it. I kept jumping she stopped at CAT "C".

Oh and by the way we also ski, and not just east coast stuff. We really rather prefer Europe.

Gotta REPresent

Since this thread is almost as old as the MOvie I am about to refer to....

because black men don't jump.:D
My photos

My Videos

because black men don't jump.

That maybe but the sisters do, this young lady was dong 100 way's in perris this summer, I think she is from Canada.

I have met a number of black men over the years, so there are some who jump most are military I have met. When I asked a guy I met once why more don't skydive, he said with a smile " cuz the brothers aren't crazy"
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

LOL I like that there is documented proof :D

I know a few black jumpers.
My Post was a goof on the moive title White men don't jump.

Although the ratio is low compared to other colors I know or know OF a bunch of black jumpers.

My photos

My Videos

The only black skydiver I have ever jumped with personally was a student that was on a solo just before I exited. He opened up and somehow caught his right arm through the risers and he just had a ball of sh*t above his head and I watched the whole thing as I was deploying...

His name was Billy. I'll never forget, because I was screaming into my face mask, "CUT THAT SH*T AWAY, BILLY!!! C'MON BILLY, CUT IT AWAY!!!" :SB|:P

He did, we all landed, he was cool as a cucumber on the bus but kept saying he was scared as hell. :P

I never saw him again. I sure hope he continued on and I just missed him at the DZ...

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

She jumps in Houston. Very nice lady, and yes, obviously a good skydiver

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Cool, I took the photo for my wife (she jumps too) and I knew she would think it was cool to know this person was there doing 100 ways-go girls! as she would say.:)
There may have been a Canadian flag on her suit or rig and that is why I thought she hailed from up there.

Cool, I took the photo for my wife (she jumps too) and I knew she would think it was cool to know this person was there doing 100 ways-go girls! as she would say.:)
There may have been a Canadian flag on her suit or rig and that is why I thought she hailed from up there.

Maybe it was her lovely accent that had you a bit bewildered.

BTW: I totally agree with what Wendy said ! ! !

I would assume so, she looked right at me with a big ass 300mm zoom lens pointed right at her. I took the shot because 1. my wife likes to see chick skydivers doing cool stuff, can't get much more cool then doing 100 ways and 2. I enjoyed the fact that not only was she a lady but because she is a black skydiver chick. I have met about 10 or 12 black skydivers over the years, but only one was a chick, I have posted photos of her before she is married to a friend of mine, you may have seen the tandem photos I have posted here with her and hubby doing RW with the Carbones.

So anyway I think it's cool she jumps and who cares what color someone is anyway, were all human.

She is originally from Canada and she does have Canadian flags on some of her gear. Right now, though, she resides in Texas and jumps at Spaceland. She is an incredibly nice girl and I consider her a good friend. However, for a Canadian, she sure can't take the cold!;) I mean how cold does it get in Houston, Texas??!!B|

Really, she's awesome! And just think, a Canadian, Black woman skydiver. Now there's a departure from the stereotypical skydiver! ;)
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

I would say that the primary reason that there are not many black jumpers is because they have limited exposure to the sport. Also economics plays a big part in it, as the sport is not cheap. The racist sentiments of certain individuals is prevalent everywhere, drop zones included. I was subjected to a little airplane bullying and I told the individual that we are all brothers bonded by the silk, and he began to count the jumpers in the plane. He said that there were thirteen of them and one of me, and that I was the minority. Although the sky is huge, there are still small minded people out there. I love skydiving and the people that have the courage to step out onto the clouds, so it had little effect on my perception of the sport. The elitist attitudes of some jumpers, coupled with the shun the new guy mindset does make for some uncomfortable moments for the minority jumper who might be the only black person there. Let your mind be free of the petty differences that separate us on the ground, get in the flow, and enjoy the awesomeness of the dive. Blue Skies!!