Nataly

Paypal cock-up...

Has anyone ever experienced a Paypal fuck-up??? Did it get resolved???

I just refunded a payment and instead of simply sending the money back, paypal took money from my bank account and thus doubled the transaction. I didn't have the funds in my bank and I am more than a little annoyed that this erroneous transaction went through... Thing is, it's not just Paypal's mistake: my bank should have rejected the transaction since it brought my balance WAY beyond my overdraft limit.

I tried to dispute the paypal transaction and paypal does not accept the transaction reference number as being valid. Hmmmm... >:(>:( I will have to call them and this will cost me time and money. Bastards.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Ugh!:S

I've used eBay since the '90's and Paypal nearly that long. The only issue I've had was learning the hard way once that eBay's "buyer protection" is a joke.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Ugh!:S

I've used eBay since the '90's and Paypal nearly that long. The only issue I've had was learning the hard way once that eBay's "buyer protection" is a joke.

Same here but only used a dispute once and got my money back so never had a problem. Thing is it is different for every . Depends on the country you are in and how it is dealt with how you paid for it via paypal.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Yes - and your exact scenario is why I refuse to use them anymore unless it's totally unavoidable. Mine was a little different but essentially they did a similar thing, and then tried to whack me with a bunch of OD fees.

They're a bureaucratic nightmare, and a rip off.
Performance Designs Factory Team

NEVER buy stuff online with a debit card. It's not just worth the potential screwing with your checking account.

For example, over Christmas, mrowc6 ordered some stuff from Orvis using the debit card attatched to our checking acct. It was $600 or so. A couple days later, he asked if I spent almost $600 from checking. I hadn't, so he called them, and they had put a hold (legally) on the same amount as the charge. It took a week for that money to be "given" back to us.

That could have given someone who lives close to their balance a "run for their money."

If you use a credit card you have a much more leeway if there is a screw-up , in order to straighten it out without it affecting your cash flow (or worse).
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I would never have a debit card, period. I prefer to argue with a bank over whether I *pay* a charge, as opposed to arguing to get my money *back*, after the charge.

As for online purchases, credit cards from both Citibank and Bank of America, have a feature that enables you to create a temporary CC with unique numbers, credit limits, and expiration dates, which are locked to a specific seller once they are used. I use the BoA card.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I would never have a debit card, period.

I used to use a CC for all online purchases, but my bank informed me that anytime you tried to use your card over the limit, it was a negative mark on your credit ranking. The problem is that if someone snags your CC card number and runs a bunch of charges up on it and maxes it out over the limit, that red mark STAYS on your credit report even if you get the fraudulent charges removed.

For online purchases we maintain a "safe debit card" that is completely separate from our other checking accounts. If this card gets jacked, the bank will still work to get us our funds back, but since it's not a credit card there will be no hit on the credit report.

We also only keep a few hundred dollars on the card at a time, so when/if it gets jacked we only have to dispute a few hundred dollars worth of junk somebody else bought instead of several thousand.

Elvisio "debit cards aren't all bad" Rodriguez

As others have mentioned, there are a lot more protections on a credit card. If they really screw up, you can dispute the transaction through your CC company. If I had to work through a checking account with them, I'd make one specifically for paypal that I don't pay anything out of. If you receive money through paypal, never let it sit there either. Get it out of paypal and out of your paypal checking account ASAP. They can still fuck you over if you're doing big transactions through them, but you want to take precautions so they can't fuck you completely over.

As far as I know they're not really regulated in any company. They're nowhere near as trustworthy as a bank. Think about that statement for a moment. That's really saying a lot.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Well, luckily I was able to cancel the direct debit from my bank but if it's found that the transaction was "legitimate" the bank can send the money back to paypal. Will be interesting to see what paypal says... :S

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

The best way to deal with Paypal and bank accounts is to keep them out of your regular accounts. How? Set up a savings account at a bank that IS NOT your primary bank. In other words, if you use B of A, set up the savings account at Wells Fargo. Link that savings account to the Paypal account. Don't keep much of a balance in the account. Paypal can't take money if there is none.

This has worked very well for me. As soon as the Paypal funds from online sales are released, they get transferred into the savings account, then withdrawn ASAP. No way will I allow Paypal anywhere near my main bank accounts.

I would never have a debit card, period.

I used to use a CC for all online purchases, but my bank informed me that anytime you tried to use your card over the limit, it was a negative mark on your credit ranking. The problem is that if someone snags your CC card number and runs a bunch of charges up on it and maxes it out over the limit, that red mark STAYS on your credit report even if you get the fraudulent charges removed.

For online purchases we maintain a "safe debit card" that is completely separate from our other checking accounts. If this card gets jacked, the bank will still work to get us our funds back, but since it's not a credit card there will be no hit on the credit report.

We also only keep a few hundred dollars on the card at a time, so when/if it gets jacked we only have to dispute a few hundred dollars worth of junk somebody else bought instead of several thousand.

Elvisio "debit cards aren't all bad" Rodriguez

Your bank has a poor understanding of the FICO scoring algorithm.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

The best way to deal with Paypal and bank accounts is to keep them out of your regular accounts. How? Set up a savings account at a bank that IS NOT your primary bank. In other words, if you use B of A, set up the savings account at Wells Fargo. Link that savings account to the Paypal account. Don't keep much of a balance in the account. Paypal can't take money if there is none.

To elaborate, it's always a good idea to have "non-personal" accounts (paypal, business accounts, debit card accts, etc.) at a separate bank from any of your personal accounts: many banks (example - TD Bank) have a policy that if you overdraw your balance on one of your accounts, they can withdraw (or put a hold on) the funds from any other account you might have with them.

Example: A client of mine had his personal acct at TD. He and a friend opened a separate account, also at TD, for a small non-profit they set up. About 4 years later, long after the client had forgotten all about the non-profit's acct, the friend overdrew that acct. Yep, TD then promptly (and without advance warning or separate notice) withdrew the money from my client's personal account to cover the overdraft on the non-profit's. Hard lesson learned.

I have "ONE" credit card with a $1200 dollar limit to use on mail orders and over the internet... The bank is right here in town so it easy to use the card and go pay the card off.... If I need to use it again before the bill comes...They can't really get that much..

Killler....

Not true, as this is EXACTLY what they did. I have contacted Paypal. They agree it is a mistake and have advised me to cancel the transaction from my bank (which I had already done). They assure me everything will get corrected at no cost to myself, but I don't trust for one second that it will all magically get properly resolved. I am keeping an eye on my paypal AND my bank accounts because I lost £98 in the process due to exchange rate variances - another cock-up on their part, which I refuse to pay for. They have also agreed this is a mistake and if they take *that* out of my bank, all hell will break loose.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

So you're saying PayPal can take money OUT of my checking account without my permission or knowledge?? Holy shit! I've got to get that disconnected.

Our son got screwed out of several hundred $$ from PayPal letting an unauthorized user change the password. Sucked. I don't know he ever got it resolved fairly. [:/]

They're much worse about just freezing funds in your paypal account, but I have heard of cases where they've put a hold on funds in checking or just taken funds out of checking without notifying the account owner. Google on "paypal sucks" and you'll find all sorts of horror stories.

I definitely wouldn't give paypal access to the account I pay my mortgage out of.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Damn, I don't owe anything on anything, but have a good amount of $$ in my bank. I'll move my paypay to a smaller account somewhere. That's like having a unlocked screen door on the back of the bank vault. :S:o

...with a great big "arrow" sign saying "Help yourself; and have a go at my wife while you're at it!"
:D:D

Here's your sign!

Hi N

I enjoy your use of the English language.

PayPal.?

There was a recent post on DZ.Com about someone buying a used rig over the net, and paid via PayPal.

Since the buyer never received the rig they contacted, PayPal. Waited and were informed the "seller" claimed the money was a gift.:o

Claim denied:(

FWIW What is the interest rate that PayPal pays on a persons cash balance.?

R.

R.

One Jump Wonder

Well, just to update on this matter... I am a good customer with my bank, so the transfer (and subsequent penalties) to paypal was revoked. However, there is still a huge balance on my paypal account at the moment... This balance is erroneous (even though it's in my favour) so I'm sure it's not the end of it... Nevertheless, I think in the end it will all have worked out.

I will definitely think twice about paypal in the future...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss