Deleted

Near Death Expreience

The post about mals made me think of this question. Is a mal a near death espereince? I wrapped the pc around my arm and couldn't clear it. I was under a reserve well over 3000'. All the whuffos tell me that it was a brush with death and I am nuts to go back. I don't think it was a brush with death. It was closer than most armchair lovers get. I want to enjoy life, that to me means taking risks. Whaddya all think?
Pete W

well according to lots of folks we are stupid just for jumping at all! So whatya expect them to say when we have problems- I told you so?-LOL To me near death means NEAR DEATH-literally, maybe if your reseve PC got wrapped around you and you got open at 500 ft- THAT would be near!-LOL
D.Chisolm C-28534
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

The only time in my life I've ever thought "I'm about to die" was on a skydive. It was a hop n pop from 3800 on student gear that was way too big for me. I tumbled on exit, leveled out, went for the ripcord...and couldn't get it out of the housing. Hard pull from hell. Tried once, tried twice (tried three times, I admit it...I couldn't BELIEVE that bitch wasn't coming out) then went for my reserve...and couldn't find it. The harness was so big on me that my handles had shifted way, way up...
Anyway, as I'm fumbling for the reserve handle, I start thinking, "If I don't find this handle NOW, I'm about to fucking die." The ground was huge. Then I found it, and yanked it, and had a canopy out just under 1000 AGL.
Interestingly, the fact that I had an AAD never occured to me. (Luckily, I think, on this jump!) This was No. 15.
But hell...I came back...worked through it. Maybe I LIKED it. :)

I personally think the nature of this sport dictates a "near death" experience. Every time we jump we put ourselves in a situation where any shortcoming or mistakes and we could potentially lose our lives...I know it's a morbid topic, but it's reality. However, the trade off is this: A person never feels more alive in their life, then when they're close to death. Think about that... Anyway, aside from all that, this sport has advanced to the point where it's relatively safe and with the right training these risks can be minimized to the point where the balance between risk and safety is such that we can have fun doing it...Aren't we the luckiest bunch 'o people in the world?!
"pull high! It's lower than you think..."

I agree with diver 123. I know I get pretty excited/scared on the ride to altitude. Not anything that is really bad or would cause me to not jump, but if you think about it skydiving is all about trust and knowledge. When you leave that airplane you put your life in your own hands and trust in your equipment to work properly. The experience of flight is worth it and we all make choices to make our dives as safe as possible. It will never truly be a safe sport, but with proper training and the right equipment we can be safe in a sport that is inherently dangerous. We are the luckiest people in the world to know what it means to truly fly.
Blue Skies,
Adam

Next time someone says that just point out that suicide is when you engage in a course of action where it is your intent to die. With one or two choice exceptions that wind up in the incident reports, I don't think any of us go out the door with the intent of dying.
Heck, if I wanted to die, why would I jump out of a plane wearing a device whose job is to save my life?
And another thing... Why is it that when there's a plane accident people are happy that they use parachutes to eject or bail out, but get all bent out of shape when we use them for fun?
Just wondering....
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

When I was a student (not so long ago)one of my instructors told me something great to tell those people. When I jump out of the plane I am a dead man, UNLESS I take some very specific and deliberate action to stay alive. I am chosing to live everytime I throw the pilot chute. All the Wuffos are just alive because nothing has killed them yet. We are all alive because we made a choice.
Blue skys and Deep Thoughts
Albatross

A near death experience is one in which you are clinically dead and remain conscious but apart from your body. Eventually, you return to your body and it comes back to life. Not quite what you have experienced.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

A near death experience is one in which you are clinically dead and remain conscious but apart from your body. Eventually, you return to your body and it comes back to life. Not quite what you have experienced.

Interesting thread, I agree about the distinction (having had an out of body experience when I crashed on the table during surgery), but I thought that it was impossible to delete one's account.

The OP's account was, somehow, deleted, yet the thread lives on. :o

If that ain't near-death, I don't know what is. :D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Makes ya wonder if the Loner Anger is at it again;)

He was "CuteKate" yesterday.

Yeah.. I miss out on all the crazies these days.
I decided I needed to go outside and be with the three dimensional people a HELL of a lot more and leave the Animal Farmers to their own two dimensional world.