normiss

Contributing to a broken jumper?

A recent (new) request to help a broken jumper got me thinking again...

In which situations would you help a broken skydiver?

No insurance? I see this as irresponsible and someone that has taken the risk upon themselves. Let them sort out their own bed they made IMO.

Someone doing something stupid after being warned REPEATEDLY? No way in hell.

Injured by another through no fault of their own? Most certainly.

For the surviving family? Depends on my knowing the person usually. But better chance overall.

Anyone else consider factors such as these when asked to lend a hand?

Or am I the asshole here?
As usual.
B|

If others want to contribute then it's their decision. It in no way should be based on your opinion.

I sure hope you're not trying dissuade others from assisting a fellow skydiver. He wasn't being a criminal, he was just being dumb. I'm pretty sure the moment just before hitting the ground, he was the first to realize it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I'm speaking in general to broken jumpers.
Not one person specifically.

I've seen plenty of others be foolishly irresponsible and unsafe and narrowly miss death.

I for one do not participate in this sport simply to flirt with death.
I celebrate life with it. I also try my best to protect it and reduce the risks intelligently.

Or am I the asshole here?

Not at all. Just because WE skydive, does not mean that WE know each other any more than some stranger on the street or another continent. If you break yourself, enjoy the cast and your new bowling career - if you can get out of bed or off the sofa. When I fuck up, I expect the same.

There are some very good people at my home DZ's who I would be happy to help. But if you're laying in a hospital somewhere because you pounded in after numerous warnings, I can't help you.

just busting your balls mate.. :)

He didn't tell you? Skymama keeps them in a small wooden box in her purse under lock and key..:P
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

No insurance? I see this as irresponsible and someone that has taken the risk upon themselves. Let them sort out their own bed they made IMO.

No. you are a tard if you jump uninsured, and Actions should and do have consequences.

Injured by another through no fault of their own? Most certainly.

If you are talking re jumping mishaps--Perhaps. With the waivers signed, it would be rather difficult to sue, much less collect from someone who hurt another through gross buffoonery.

Anyone else consider factors such as these when asked to lend a hand?

Absolutely. If someone was warned, but was a dumb shit notwithstanding said warnings--fuck them.

Safe is boring:P

...coming from a Explosives Ordnance Disposal trained Marine, that opinion doesn't really carry a lotta weight there Skippy. :P

..and is quite scary to read such a statement!

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I also try my best to protect it and reduce the risks intelligently.

I'm fortunate in that I'm in a position financially and professionally to be able to set myself up pretty well - from a financial perspective, anyway - to handle a serious injury. I have no dependents, so I don't need to worry about anyone else's financial needs but my own.

I get both long-term disability insurance and health insurance through work; I know I'm fortunate to have those as options through my work (not all my jobs have had disability as an option).

So I'm fairly confident that should the shit hit the fan, I probably wouldn't need help financially; really, all I'd need would be the non-financial support that I know this community provides all the time. B| Of course, I jump a big canopy, don't do high-performance landings, and do my best to mitigate my risk, because regardless of whether I can afford to get hurt or not, I really don't like pain. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Fuck them. they were jumping from goddamn airplanes, and probably sucked at it. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I smoked cigarettes for 25 years and got cancer. You don't see me whining on the internet about how I need help.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!