normiss

Contributing to a broken jumper?

Fuck them. they were jumping from goddamn airplanes, and probably sucked at it. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I smoked cigarettes for 25 years and got cancer. You don't see me whining on the internet about how I need help.

That is a good one!

Agreed. Stupid is as stupid does.

I'll help out, but there better be a damn good reason. If you were jumping and decided an extra couple of jumps a month were more important than health insurance, sorry, you're up shit creek.

Not all of us are able to obtain private health insurance.:( Since becoming unemployed and now being self-employed, I've been turned down for at least half a dozen polices. I spent at least two hours on each application, some of which did not include basic coverage, but only catastrophic with deductibles in excess of $4,000. I was turned down for all of them.

I was turned down for having a history of sinus infections for one. For having a pilar cyst on another. Seeing a therapist for another. Chronic back pain for another. And I don't remember the reasons for being declined on the others, but they were all very similar.

I'd be happy to pay the premium on a policy if I were to be approved for one.

If I get hurt, then I get hurt. My problem, not yours. It just means you'd get to see my corseted rack less frequently. :P

Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

OK fair enough. I may have interpreted the post wrong. The way I read it is, that the guy screwed up and why should I have to contribute. Of course no one does, but if someone wants to for some reason, then they shouldn't be deterred.

My view:

Well, since we live in the US and have to buy expensive coverage, then find a way to get it. I carry coverage but that's because my job is required to provide it.

I jumped a few years without it however, I'll be honest, it just didn't occur to me until it was brought up one day. I realized if I did actually break a leg, that 20,000 dollar bill will be 2000 bucks. (random dollar amount).

I'm pretty good at getting points across to most jumpers. Not always but it does happen. I have many stories of young indestructible jumpers.

Anyway, I don't donate too often but I would definitely buy a book or some other entertainment. I simply can't afford to so I don't. I also believe it's not up to me to pay for it.

Guess that means we actually agree ;)

BTW, I wear a helmet on my motorcycle too. It's mandatory here but I would anyway. I personally think it's stupid not to. It's the riders choice and I won't get into it with anyone about it, but it's still dumb if they don't. A half shell isn't much of a helmet either ;)

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

If I get hurt, then I get hurt.

I was a young kid once, skydiving with very poor to no insurance. That fact actually governed some of my choices. I tried to be more wary of situations that were more likely to hurt me. Luckily there was no swooping when I was in my early twenties. ;):D

Not all of us are able to obtain private health insurance.:(

Although we can all join group plans. One class at a local community college gets you into their group where insurance rates can run $200/quarter.

Corporate alumni networks and professional organizations are other non-employer group plan sources.

Given the ludicrous costs of US medical care (speaking from personal experience, a tibia/fibula fracture with complications can generate bills totalling six figures not including the $7000 (after insurance discount) for your warranty return to the ER because you're leaking too much blood following your last surgery) every skydiver with issues getting individual insurance who doesn't qualify for medicaid or their states indigent care discounts needs to find a group plan of some sort.

Rephrased....

Other's knew he was being dumb, but at that moment, he was first to realize how much trouble he was about to be in.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Safe is boring:P

...coming from a Explosives Ordnance Disposal trained Marine, that opinion doesn't really carry a lotta weight there Skippy. :P

Come on... My job is safer than at least one of my hobbies...:D
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

If I get hurt, then I get hurt. My problem, not yours. It just means you'd get to see my corseted rack less frequently. :P

I'd be more than happy to assist you with your sponge baths. It's the least I could do.:)
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Excellent point.

If only we had a large member group that we all were members of...you know, a group that supports us, gives us more than rental car discounts, weak magazines, and a crisp id card.
:P

Dammit I hate it when I read a post on DZ.com and look for a 'like' button for a few seconds before realizing-- doh, wrong place! :D But yes... me likey!
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Excellent point.

If only we had a large member group that we all were members of...you know, a group that supports us, gives us more than rental car discounts, weak magazines, and a crisp id card.

You mean like an INTERNATIONAL affiliation (NOT A YANK SITE:P) like the FAI or something:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I take GREAT issue with someone who hooks in under his new cross-braced but has no insurance. Engaging in risky behavior and hoping others will cover you if you break is not the sort of decisionmaking I will support. No, I will not pay for your healthcare when I wasn't jumping because I paid for my healthcare.

I have to live with the consequences of my decisions. So should others who have money for jumping but none for insurance. This sport is NOT cheap, and someone who will spend $300 per weekend jumping has the scratch to pay for insurance.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

This sport is NOT cheap, and someone who will spend $300 per weekend jumping has the scratch to pay for insurance.

+1
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

Thanks, it's now part of my sigline.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Same here.
All sorts of disability insurance here.
Not to mention SHE! has insisted I carry silly amounts of protection, so I do.

I've even started riding the sled with a HELMET!!!!
:o:o:o
B|

Does she let you hold your man card at least once a month?:ph34r:

J/k.....Glad you're happy!:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Excellent point.

Hang on a minute, they've got to get the demo team up and running first.:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

If you can't pay for your injuries, see yourself through those injures, be able to eat and wipe your ass on your own, don't come here asking for a handout when you do something stoopid.

I'm sure I missed a few posts in there, but that's the gist I came away with.

>In which situations would you help a broken skydiver?

Used to be almost any situation. Then a few things happened to me.

One is that I helped a few people out with loans and, in many cases, didn't see the loans come back. This was pretty minor since the money still went to good causes (at least as far as I knew.)

Then I helped AirAnn (poster here) when she said she was going to lose her house due to her bills. Then I read another thread about how she was buying a new camera helmet and was enjoying her garage tanning bed. I started thinking "hmm, well, maybe that money isn't going to such a good cause."

Over the years I helped a few broken jumpers out with money for their medical care, and in one case found out that they just weren't paying their medical bills. I asked him where the money went, and he said "medical bills, or stuff like that, you know. I still needed money for stuff. I wasn't working."

So I still do it - but for jumpers I know well. And I would not assume that if a jumper asks for money to defray medical costs, that it will actually go to medical costs. That's not a reason to not do it - they probably still need money especially if they have no other job. Just make sure you are OK with where your money was going.