hobbes4star

wedding rings.

When i am skydiving i don't wear mine. I was wondering who else takes their's off when skydiving.
oh and i don't take it off because i am trying to pick up dz chicks. on my 32 dive i had a chop with a hard landing and i slid on my ass and hands, no gloves and guess what got lost. i spent 4 hrs searching for it.
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

Been curious about this topic myself. I go back and forth with wearing mine. I want to wear it, but I have the same concerns about snagging equipment, stuff in plane etc.

Matt
A well-informed person is somebody who has the same views and opinions as yours.

I don't wear mine, except if I've got gloves on, and that's infrequent. I lost a lot of weight, and mine's falling-off-loose.

If you caught it on the plane during exit, you could strip all the tissue right off the finger. I forget the name of that kind of injury, it basically means 'mudslide'.

Firefighters use that as an excuse not to wear theirs. Buncha pancake-eating-weightlifters.

I never wear jewelry while jumping (including my wedding band when I was married). I don't want to intentionally add anything to the mix of possible problems that could occur.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Ive worn mine a few jumps, but what I have recently done is put it on the velcro strap on my alti...keeps it in place, and when i land I can put it right back on.. ( I am a newly wed though so I guess the novilty of wearing it is still thee);)
-yoshi

sometimes I do leave it in the dz safe though..

I take mine off at the DZ and put it in my purse along with a necklace and pendant my parents gave me.

My husband doesn't take his off bceause he doesn't wear one because he lost it in the ocean last month, but I think he did take it off before he lost it :D
Rhonda
PP ASEL

I always leave mine at home, safe and sound. Other jewelry I wear to the dz, but take off for jumps. I'm just paranoid about my wedding ring getting lost, or worse.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

whilst doing my first jumpat an particular new york drop zone while wearing my many rings, not only was i told the story of the bloke who caught his ring on the door during exit and tore his finger off (while wearing gloves), i was told the same story FOUR times by FOUR different people. needless to say, you will never see my rings at the dz.
spiral out...keep going...

My opinion on this was first formed when I was in a military jump unit. All the married guys took their rings off when they jumped. It was actually standard procedure to do so, for fear of snagging something.

On a jump last year, I snagged my finger on the door track of a King Air as we did a donut out the door. I left some skin and blood behind, because once the first guy tipped out, I was getting dragged out the door. I splattered his jumpsuit from that small scrape. I can't imagine would it would have been like if I caught a ring on something on the way out the door.

For me, the issue of injury is more important than the issue of loss of the ring. But when you add them together, it makes no sense to wear that kind of jewelry while jumping.

Just my $.02.

I sometimes wear mine, but wear gloves if I do because it's kinda a pointy ring that might hurt someone when they were taking docks. Merrick wears his usually though. I have to say I'd prefer him not.

Speaking of...I did happen to find the coolest gold band on Ebay that I gave him last year for Christmas. It had two people in a two way on it. So now he actually has two rings .. no excuses for not wearing one when not jump :P

Glad I did a search for this. I was wondering how people felt about this. I will definitely be taking mine off as soon as I start my AFF in a month as well as taking off my closing pin necklace that I have been wearing to stay focused on my goal of getting back in the sky.

I like my fingers and head right where they are. :D

Sincerely, Daniel (not as fat as he thinks he is) Adams
http://www.skyjump.com
http://www.vimeo.com/dandaninc
http://www.youtube.com/dandaninc

How are all of these 10 year old threads being risen? I guess I don't get out much.

This one's legit - an active user did a search for a topic rather than starting a new one.

However, the majority of the thread necromancy lately has been by a disgruntled banned user who keeps creating new identities and bringing up old threads (or starting new ones) to "punish" (???) the mods for their "misdeeds." Most of them get cleaned up pretty quickly, but if someone responds before the mod cleanup, then the old thread is staying revived.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke