Nataly

How late is late??

What is a reasonable amount of time to be late for diner without giving a heads-up that you are running late?
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

If you know ahead of time you will run late, call before the appointed time. If you're running late unexpectedly, you better have a pretty good reason not to call w/i the 1st 15 mins of lateness, or in my book it's very rude.

15 minutes.

If it a 'friend' that's late...and I'm hungry, I'll start without ya.

If it's an serious SO...I'll wait, but they better have called prior to give me a heads up.

After about 20 minutes and no call, something bad must have happened & I'll headed out to find 'em.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

:o:o:o

Nataly

What is a reasonable amount of time to be late for diner without giving a heads-up that you are running late?

Oh! That kind of late.:$
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Depends on how horney you are???
C

Seriously, depends how horney you are,...

Ok, OK,...

who what when where,

For my moms cooking, the next day was best, if my Dad is cooking, it's best not to show up, and best not to call either, so other family can reap the full benifite, if everyone warned everyone else no one would show up. Which works out fine because most times my sisteers all want money anyways. And they have a habit of putting anything into their mouthes anyways.

Friends house,...how good a friend??

Wife cooking tonight?

Now you know another reason Im devorced,...

Kids cooking, well if my kids are cooking, the food is better than at "Lake Wobegone" and I'm early with money and other gifts!

C
:)

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Nataly

It depends on if I think you're being late because you're a psychopath (just don't give a shit), been in an accident or are playing some f'ed up game of control. People who care aren't late unless there are lights and sirens involved.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

In this day and age where pretty much everyone is constantly connected, there's very little excuse for not notifying someone if you're going to be late. If I've committed to be somewhere at a specific time, I plan accordingly so I will be there at that time. Stuff does happen, but in that case, you should be letting the person you're meeting know that you're running late, and offer a pretty heartfelt apology when you do get there.

To me, being on time is about respecting the other person's time. Showing up late is an indication that I don't respect their time. It's a message I try not to send.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

In this day and age where pretty much everyone is constantly connected, there's very little excuse for not notifying someone if you're going to be late. If I've committed to be somewhere at a specific time, I plan accordingly so I will be there at that time. Stuff does happen, but in that case, you should be letting the person you're meeting know that you're running late, and offer a pretty heartfelt apology when you do get there.

To me, being on time is about respecting the other person's time. Showing up late is an indication that I don't respect their time. It's a message I try not to send.

Not everyone is connected.:o

I leave early to insure that Im on time, imo its a sign of respect and I expect it to be returned. Even in the Seattle metropolis;)

Some folks have issue's and try to use their lateness to maintain power and control. If you accept that type of treatment it will continue until you take back control.

R

Whenever possible, I schedule things with friends for noonish, tenish, etc, which largely eliminates the problem. Life's too short to worry that much about me or my friends being exactly on time.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

NWFlyer

I 100% agree about the respect issue. If someone is constantly late for appointments with me, I get the impression that they just don't care about anything but themselves and THEIR time.

I chose the first option. 0 minutes. Of course, I was in the military, and 5 minutes early is "on time" in my head.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

BikerBabe

***In this day and age where pretty much everyone is constantly connected, there's very little excuse for not notifying someone if you're going to be late. If I've committed to be somewhere at a specific time, I plan accordingly so I will be there at that time. Stuff does happen, but in that case, you should be letting the person you're meeting know that you're running late, and offer a pretty heartfelt apology when you do get there.

I 100% agree about the respect issue. If someone is constantly late for appointments with me, I get the impression that they just don't care about anything but themselves and THEIR time.

I chose the first option. 0 minutes. Of course, I was in the military, and 5 minutes early is "on time" in my head.

Yep. I am of the opinion that a) you should plan your time in order to arrive when you promised, b) you should warn the person in advance as soon as it becomes apparent you might be late (and apologise), c) if for some reason you couldn't be on time and couldn't give any warning, you'd better have a good excuse...

Unapologetically rocking up an hour and a half late and claiming you just "lost track of time" is unacceptable. By this point the meal I spent 3 hours lovingly preparing is cold. It's also stored away in the fridge. And you're not getting any.

That is all.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

NWFlyer

Perhaps not every one is "connected" as another pooseter indicates , but Krisanne uses the word "committed" that most likely the most important word in this whole thread.

Because if your seriosly answereing N question in the first place the answere really is about a level of commitment?

So frame your answere in terms of what is important to yo and then answere it,...

If your constantly looking for excuses, like I was late because of this or that, or "sorry I don't have a cell phone,"
perhaps this shows up in your life? I suspect it does and yuo also lack commitment. [:/]

Next time leave a little early, so that you get there on time!

Not too much to ask is it?

something to consider before you marry the: Guy / Girl?

Cause they arn't going to get better with time!

C

My sister, when not having a lip lock on somebodys love muscle,... :S

Has jooined the (cult)
"The Church of Christ." To find herself??? I don't know???
Theysit around and tell stories about each other then, I have been told, when you are in or at a point of crisis in yuour life they confront you with your supposed "confidential" stories and threats??

Any truth to that?

Great question by N by the way :)
If your really late, it's almost like saying FU, which begs the question: Why you going in the first place?

If your madly in love, you will be early! (or just horney)

If your into playing games with other people, you can sit around and decide how late is fashionable??

If it's your signifigant other, your on time, because its important to them and they are counting on you.
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Hi N

Some folks just have a laid back attitude, and their not going to change.

Rather than let our food go cold while we wait. We just start eating without them.

The repeat offender showed up late enough that we were finished eating, table cleared etc.

The dude shows up that late and asks whats for dinner. We set one plate in the dining room nuke his food and let him eat by himself while we resume reading our poetry in the library. :ph34r:

N this none of my business but is the person your talking about the same dude that left you in the dust while hiking, and belittled your card playing strategy, in spite of you winning.

One Jump Wonder

Nataly

Unapologetically rocking up an hour and a half late and claiming you just "lost track of time" is unacceptable. By this point the meal I spent 3 hours lovingly preparing is cold. It's also stored away in the fridge. And you're not getting any.

Are we still talking about food?:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.