Ron

Anyone know about antique watches?

I received this watch as an heirloom. From what I can tell it is from the Illinois Watch Company (says it on the face) and was made about 1884. It is in pretty bad shape and I'd like to get it fixed.

On the back it has "Columbia", A serial number (403k), and "Springfield, ILL"

The tri fold case case has what looks like "AM.WALTON CO. WALTMAN MASS."

I know it is most likely not worth much.... Don't care, it was my great-great grandfathers (1834-1918) and I want it fixed.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The Illinois watch co. went in & out of business a few times...

They made good watches for the time...in various grades. In other words they made watches that were affordable and also watches that were expensive.

IIRO...your's is probably from the 1st and original Illinois watch co. To a collector that would make it a bit more valuable.

I have a 2nd generation wrist watch, the company was bought out by whom I can't remember...but they made a lot more watches 2nd time around. . .mine is almost 100 years old and works perfectly.

Next time I go back to my place in Illinois I'll look through some of my dad's stuff...I may have some parts for you. He was a Master Horologist and fixed watches for a living in the 60's...There is an entire room full of 'new' parts for old watches. I know there's a book on Illinois watches there too...I can see if your's is listed.

I MAY KNOW A GUY...that still works on things like that, tough to find these days...he cleaned & timed the springs on my 1860's pocket watch a couple years ago...it's now as accurate as my Seiko.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Has it ever worked in your memory, in the last 20 years, in the last 10?

This is not a smart ass question.

I have many antique clocks and watches, and there is a point at which, when they stop working, that you have to replace so much of the innards, they aren't worth it to maintain a working timepiece.

Your point of "not worth it" may be different because of the sentimental attachment.

Do you want it to work, no matter what? Do you want to maintain as much of the original workings as possible (to the point of it not working is preferable to all new parts that have nothing to do with your "heirloom"?).

I'm sure you can find someone to replace all the "stuff" so that you have a watch that works, but if you do, then you need to keep that puppy wound. Timepieces, of all sorts, need to run.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

What usually 'goes bad' or causes the problem on old watches like that are either the balance wheel, the timing gear or the spring.

Running them wears out the balance wheel and the timing gear thingie..not running them is tough on the spring.

They weren't made to last forever...;)

You would be surprised what a 'good' watchmaker can do with that old stuff...usually they are pretty dirty, ick gets in the gears & wheels gumming them up...that's why for a time you saw '17 jewels' or '21 jewels' on a watch.

That described the points of contact within the watch, the pins (axles) on the wheels etc. that turned were on... a hard jewel surface that lowered friction, thus wear - they were more accurate & didn't have to be cleaned as often.

'Back in the day' A gentleman that cared and had a good watch...would take it to a jeweler or watchmaker once a year to be cleaned & timed. B|

airtwardo

He was a Master Horologist...

I'm guessing that term nearly always requires an explanation when it comes up in verbal conversation.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

To my knowledge it has not worked in 40+ years. Long story short, I thought it was lost till it was found in a box of stuff when my Dad died last year.

Passed down. My brother and I are the end of the line. He has no children, my wife and I do not plan on having any. I am in contact with other lines and will most likely pass it to one of those lines when I die.

Id prefer to not replace too much. It needs a crystal and I'd like it cleaned. If it comes down to needing all new parts, I just want it cleaned up with a new crystal.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

If you know the size Ron get it to me...I literally have at least a thousand watch crystals of various sizes & thicknesses that I'm about to give away to a local watchmaker back home...I can send ya several to try.

attached pic is my illinois watch.B|

If you know the size Ron get it to me...I literally have at least a thousand watch crystals of various sizes & thicknesses that I'm about to give away to a local watchmaker back home...I can send ya several to try.

I have no idea.... I am just smart enough to know I have no idea what I am talking about here.

But thanks... I'll see if I can figure it out...... I have no idea how I will do that either.

The case will split in half leaving the crystal attached to the front as one part...dial caliper from the inside, and you should be able to tell if the crystal's 'edge' is straight or 'flat' or if it's at an angle. 'kinda V shaped'.

If I can find the book on them, I might be able to tell from the info you posted too...;)

Ron

To my knowledge it has not worked in 40+ years. Long story short, I thought it was lost till it was found in a box of stuff when my Dad died last year.

Passed down. My brother and I are the end of the line. He has no children, my wife and I do not plan on having any. I am in contact with other lines and will most likely pass it to one of those lines when I die.

Id prefer to not replace too much. It needs a crystal and I'd like it cleaned. If it comes down to needing all new parts, I just want it cleaned up with a new crystal.

Good luck. I hope you are able to get it back to working condition.

I'm sure whomever you pass it down to in 100 years, of course, would cherish the lovely piece of your family's history. Love that kind of stuff and the stories that go along with it!!

Not to hijack but I have my wedding china with no one specific (right now) to pass it down to. Makes me sad. :(
Always be kinder than you feel.

ryoder

***He was a Master Horologist...

I'm guessing that term nearly always requires an explanation when it comes up in verbal conversation.;)

It depends on one's level of refinement I guess... :P

Some people need to have what a 'Bus Driver' does explained to them...I don't judge. :)

Some info I have gotten:

Illinois Watch Co. size 18, 11 jewel, model 1 key wound/set Columbia grade hunter case watch. It is cased in a Waltham Watch Co. case (Waltham a major watch manufacturer was unusual in that it made cases at least up to 1890. Watch manufacture and case manufacture were separate industries). When your watch was purchased the movement and the case were purchased separately and married by the watchmaker/jeweler. Your case is unusual as most American made silver cases were "coin Silver", a slightly lower grade alloy than sterling. The 5 star probably indicates a five once case.

It is currently at one shop getting an estimate.

803.00 to get fixed... I told them to go ahead.

Hopefully in a few weeks I will have a 'new' 130 year old watch

Ron

803.00 to get fixed... I told them to go ahead.

Hopefully in a few weeks I will have a 'new' 130 year old watch

WOW!! I'm so happy for you they're able to fix it. And it sounds like it may be not only valuable because it's a family heirloom but also because of the craftsmanship and materials? Double win!

Lucky boy!!
Always be kinder than you feel.