Phillbo

Windows 8

:ph34r:

Hey Jeanne! How are you living these days? :)

One Day at a time...

Pain... is finite

Pain is fleeting, Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever :):ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I am just gettng used to windows 8.

I cannot imagine it without touch screen, but I cannot imagine many new machines being sold without touch screen in about a years time either.

My I3 Ultrabook was less than $650 with this OS on it it has touch screen and 4gb ram and .5 TB.

Unlearning old habits is the hardest part, which is the problem the old farts that whine about it are having.

Has been super stable so far.

the bad thing isn't the touch screen part, it's that it needs one to function properly. and also needs users to be retrained. in a business environment, touchscreens are bad. have you ever sat with your arms raised for 8 hours? and retraining users, especially older users is going to be expensive. a lot of companies are still on xp, how easy will converting to 8 be for them? i would rather see linux step up and fill the niche for business, a lot of the free office software works with microsoft office, just missing some of the bells and whistles that are just for looks anyway. just the cost savings in license fees should cover any extra expense from converting.

sfzombie13

have you ever sat with your arms raised for 8 hours?

Yes. I was operating 2D CAD via huge vector-scanned terminals that required touching a light pen to the screen. Halfway through the day was was using one arm to help support the arm holding the pen. By the end of the day I could barely lift either arm.B|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

the bad thing isn't the touch screen part, it's that it needs one to function properly. and also needs users to be retrained. in a business environment, touchscreens are bad. have you ever sat with your arms raised for 8 hours?

My touch screen works great and it was really inexpensive, these will only get better and even less expensive.

I still use the keys and the touch pad for 95% of my actions. It is a laptop. I just use the swipe to change pages and scroll through information.

If I want to use it like usual and never touch the screen, I still can.

People simply hate change as it takes them from their comfort zone...

All interfaces will be like this very soon..

i would disagree. i love change, personally. but at work, i like a tried and true (and common) interface. i dual boot and usually change os's every month or so. i have to use windows for some work, inssider is easier to use and visual basic doesn't work in wine too well.

as for work, going from xp to 8 is a nightmare. it is understaffed and overworked now, when they have to retrain an entire workforce, it's going to be bad. at least 7 will be around for a while, but i heard not as long as xp was.

glad as hell that i am finally a consultant and company owner. i may be poised in the right position to make some serious cash if i can set up some training. and i am pretty good at that, the army taught me well.

Windows 8 is the new / old marketing scam to get americka to embrace the pay as you go time share way of thinking.

"For a monthly fee"

C

You are going to pay more and recive less with 8.
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

ChrisD

Windows 8 is the new / old marketing scam to get americka to embrace the pay as you go time share way of thinking.

"For a monthly fee"

C

You are going to pay more and recive less with 8.

You could be a bit more wrong, perhaps...
Win 8 is faster, does a lot more, easier to network. It's just kludgy in the current form.
Now, with the release of the update, people familiar with Win 7 get their Win7 look back if they want it, including the Start button.
http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-microsoft-windows-8-start-button-20130530,0,6208420.story

I've been beta-working 8.1 for a week now, and it's good enough that we're updating all our training machines to Win 8 for better interactivity between training nodes.

In a word - Sucks. Even M$FT is modifying it now.

I had to pay the M$FT tax when I bought a laptop recently. I never even activated Windows. Once I had verified that everything was operational via live testing, I deleted the OS that the laptop shipped with (Win8) and installed Suse 12.3 - never been happier. My only complaint is about the touchpad: it's the kind with the integrated buttons in a one-piece matrix, and it's horrible (I love how engineers jack things up and then call it an improvement or new feature). However, that is a flaw of the hardware, not the OS.

Did you know that Linux is running on 90% of the world's top 500 supercomputers? Link to Supercomputing Top 500 website

And while I'm at it, what's with all the Macs these days? All I see most people using them for is web browsing. That's like buying a Lamborghini to drive to the corner store for a pint of milk! Hope you newbie Mac types like being locked in the the Cult o' Jobs.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Stumpy

***Win 8 is faster, does a lot more,

Faster? If I put it on an older machine, it'll run faster than 7? (Genuinely curious)

Does a lot more - such as?

All my machines are "older" but some of our partners asked us to investigate 8, simply because they're MS partners. Audio/video applications run faster on 8, simply because some of the mem allocations are more efficient and less bloated.
8 is more cloud-oriented, so if you use a smart phone, this'll be second nature once you're in it.
Networking with other machines, or remote access from other machines to your personal machine is much easier/faster to set up with no network knowledge.
There are several free apps in 8 that you'd be paying for or using freeware that isn't MS in look/feel.
It has many things copied from Android, and a few things they obviously 'borrowed' from Apple in feel/function.
It plays very nicely with Android devices.
I dislike 8 on a laptop. The blue beta update is nice so far (only been a few days).
If you're considering upgrading, wait til the end of the month, IMO.

I dislike 8 on a laptop.

What is your reason for that? does that include touch screen laptop?

My ultrabook ( ASUS S500CA-CJ010H ) is bottom end ultra book, but has the touch screen and 8 seems all good to me and not so difficult so far. I have only had it 2 weeks though. The price has actually gone up by $70 since I bought it of the same place in the link above. still cheap compared to what yo could get a year ago.

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, which actually says something in this instance, lol.

The one thing that bugs me about 8, probably due to my ignorance, is that the only way I can get to 'computer' or what used to be 'my computer' in XP is to go through internet explorer, then click the file icon on the task bar.

Is there a simpler way that that?

ayevee8toryear

The one thing that bugs me about 8, probably due to my ignorance, is that the only way I can get to 'computer' or what used to be 'my computer' in XP is to go through internet explorer, then click the file icon on the task bar.

Is there a simpler way that that?

Windows Key + E
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

i was on an hp warranty repair the other day and had a hard drive swap. i recovered the data from the old one while the new one setup. when i was done and showing the customer around the profile, i really just showed him the password and then asked him how to shit it down. he didn't know, and all i could think of was clicking on the desktop and hitting alt f4. the only way i can get around in 8 is the run box.

DSE

******Win 8 is faster, does a lot more,

Faster? If I put it on an older machine, it'll run faster than 7? (Genuinely curious)

Does a lot more - such as?

All my machines are "older" but some of our partners asked us to investigate 8, simply because they're MS partners. Audio/video applications run faster on 8, simply because some of the mem allocations are more efficient and less bloated.
8 is more cloud-oriented, so if you use a smart phone, this'll be second nature once you're in it.
Networking with other machines, or remote access from other machines to your personal machine is much easier/faster to set up with no network knowledge.
There are several free apps in 8 that you'd be paying for or using freeware that isn't MS in look/feel.
It has many things copied from Android, and a few things they obviously 'borrowed' from Apple in feel/function.
It plays very nicely with Android devices.
I dislike 8 on a laptop. The blue beta update is nice so far (only been a few days).
If you're considering upgrading, wait til the end of the month, IMO.

Cool thanks. Really I'm just curious - I'm basically on chromebook now, with the exception of a Mac for vid/photo editing.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

then asked him how to shit it down. he didn't know, and all i could think of was clicking on the desktop and hitting alt f4. the only way i can get around in 8 is the run box.

To shut down or restart you just need to flick the right hand side of the screen inwards if you have touch, or put your cursor in either the top or bottom right hand corner of the screen...

Click the cog/settings and there you have it, shutdown/restart etc, control panel and the whole 9 yards...

i tried the cog and it didn't have the shutdown option, just hibernate, standby, and log off. didn't see the control panel either. the way i get to the control panel is hit the windows key and r, then type appwiz.cpl, and in the address bar of the add remove programs, hit control panel. i still remember a lot of the run shortcuts and they are all still there. but i've been a tech for years, average people don't know these.

if i had more time, i would get out my vmware windows 8 machine and play with it. thing is, after working so much during the day, i don't want to take any time away from the family to learn something that should be, if not intuitive, at least make sense for a computer tech. this is why i like linux more and more. like was mentioned earlier, with more applications being web-based, all you really need is a browser. i hardly boot windows except for some specific things

sfzombie13

i tried the cog and it didn't have the shutdown option, just hibernate, standby, and log off.

Ctrl+alt+delete works for me in Windows 8. If you do that you should get a little power symbol come up, which in turn allows you to shut down.

I'm gradually getting used to Win 8, but I can't say I view it with any warmth. My biggest gripe is the forced restarts to accommodate software updates - I know there are ways to work around them, but they're fairly involved and I don't think I should have to. I should be able to tell Windows that this isn't a convenient time for it to shut down my computer.