oldwomanc6

Come On, People! What is Wrong With You?

It's been awhile since I ranted about car related stuff, but since I spend a lot of time on the road (as do most of us), I have to vent about a single one-half hour on a Saturday afternoon! :S

I was not driving, so I get a little leeway with my behavior. :)

The following were weaving back and forth and otherwise driving erratically:

• A woman putting on mascara.

• A driver of a public bus specifically for disabled people, talking on the phone ( which is illegal in MD, and unsafe everywhere). She not only had people in the bus, but I yelled out the window at her to "get off the phone and drive." She looked like she would have given me the bird if she had a free hand. I wrote down the time, place, and bus #. Turning her in! I probably wouldn't if she quit talking, but no, she said ESAD with her eyes, waved the phone a little and just went on talking.

These next two are new ones, for me anyway! :o

• A guy licking the foil "lid" on a butterscotch pudding cup with both hands. I looked at him, and he stuck it to the window of his truck, all without ever touching the steering wheel. All I can say is, I want the guy that does his alignment !

• A gal flossing her teeth. I mean who does this where other people can see you? Let alone behind the wheel! EWWWWH!

Rant over, for now, anyways. :D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

One time I recorded my commute on my motorcycle with the GoPro, intending to highlight all the stupid shit I'd see in fifteen minutes, and upload it.

Ended up being too much work so I shelved it and try not to think about how many people there were following at unsafe distances, fucking around on their phones in their lap, not using turn signals, not turning on headlights after dusk, having burned out brake lights/running lights, etc etc.

Girlfriend thinks I should be a traffic cop, but I'd never pull anyone over for speeding as long as they're not being idiots about it, and I'd only grab people for stuff like the above.
cavete terrae.

I joke about how you can tell someone is a bad driver from a distance. (A: They are behind the wheel.)

In all seriousness, I think most people are good drivers most of the time, and nearly everybody is a bad driver occasionally.

Some days, the joke seems to mirror reality the closest, though.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

You think that's bad - take a look at this footage of a truck pushing a car sideways down the motorway. Apparently the driver was unaware that he'd collided with anything until people started flashing their headlights and sounding horns at him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/8574609.stm
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

I mostly just see jackholes with cell phones glued to their ears. I went down to SVCO the other day and the timing was such that I got to drove home on I25 at rush hour. I was actually surprised at the relative lack of general stupid shit that day, but at one point someone did try to change lanes into the motorcycle I was behind. Fortunately they weren't doing it quickly and the motorcycle noticed and honked before I had to be a witness. :S

Three or four years ago I saw some woman come out from a liquor store parking lot, cross four lanes of traffic and run the motorcycle in front of me off the road. She kept right on going. I put my flashers on and helped him stand his bike back up. He was pretty pissed off about it. I would be, too.

I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

people are way too hot on not talking on phones while driving, or testing and driving than on things that really matter, like drinking or following too closely. these are the things that kill people, something i can attest to having driven over a million miles as a trucker and regularly driving more than 500 miles a week now. those multi car pileups are not caused by weather or conditions, they are caused by idiots following too closely. I text and drive all the time on a flip phone without looking at it, and can have a conversation while driving because I constantly scan for anything in the road ahead and all my mirrors. we need a program like Germany where you don't get a license until you're 18 and have taken a real driving course you pay for.

sfzombie13

people are way too hot on not talking on phones while driving, or testing and driving than on things that really matter, like drinking or following too closely.

Studies suggest texting and driving is as dangerous as drinking and driving. Just because you do it regularly does not mean it's safe.

sfzombie13

people are way too hot on not talking on phones while driving, or testing and driving than on things that really matter, like drinking or following too closely. these are the things that kill people, something i can attest to having driven over a million miles as a trucker and regularly driving more than 500 miles a week now. those multi car pileups are not caused by weather or conditions, they are caused by idiots following too closely. I text and drive all the time on a flip phone without looking at it, and can have a conversation while driving because I constantly scan for anything in the road ahead and all my mirrors. we need a program like Germany where you don't get a license until you're 18 and have taken a real driving course you pay for.

Yup...I used to think that way too.

Then a couple years ago a good friend was killed because of some asshole texting while driving a truck.

I bet 'that guy' didn't think it was a distraction either...until he KILLED someone, probably didn't think it was a big deal.

I don't talk or text when driving anymore...I realized that I have NOTHING to say to anyone that's important enough to maybe have to live with the guilt of hurting some innocent person. Period.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

Then a couple years ago a good friend was killed because of some asshole texting while driving a truck.

I bet 'that guy' didn't think it was a distraction either...until he KILLED someone, probably didn't think it was a big deal.

I don't talk or text when driving anymore...I realized that I have NOTHING to say to anyone that's important enough to maybe have to live with the guilt of hurting some innocent person. Period.

Thank you for saying this. On the bike is the first time I became hyper-aware of other drivers... Part of it is that you have much better visibility; part of it is that you have to because you are so much more vulnerable... I had never previously noticed just how distracted other drivers are in relation to their surroundings... And the thing is, even at 30 MPH, it only takes a second to NOT notice something and drive right over/through/into it... [:/]:S

Even if you *think* you can devote your attention to both texting *and* driving, numerous studies prove you can't focus properly on one thing whilst doing something else. Contrary to popular belief, people are NOT good at multi-tasking (yes, that goes for women too).
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Contrary to popular belief, people are NOT good at multi-tasking (yes, that goes for women too).

They are, only in the way that Windows 3.1 was (for you old computer farts :D). It could switch from task to task effortlessly. And whatever task was in the background, was stopped until you went back to it (by and large).

Even on current computers, there are plenty of applications that slow down when you move them into the background, and speed back up again when you have that window selected as primary.

People work pretty much like that.

When you're driving, you're operating at least a ton of heavy machinery. Isn't that worth your attention?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

airtwardo

***people are way too hot on not talking on phones while driving, or testing and driving than on things that really matter, like drinking or following too closely. these are the things that kill people, something i can attest to having driven over a million miles as a trucker and regularly driving more than 500 miles a week now. those multi car pileups are not caused by weather or conditions, they are caused by idiots following too closely. I text and drive all the time on a flip phone without looking at it, and can have a conversation while driving because I constantly scan for anything in the road ahead and all my mirrors. we need a program like Germany where you don't get a license until you're 18 and have taken a real driving course you pay for.

One of the best bumper stickers I've ever seen said "HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS, TEXT IF YOU WANT TO MEET HIM!" :o
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

On the bike is the first time I became hyper-aware of other drivers... Part of it is that you have much better visibility; part of it is that you have to because you are so much more vulnerable...

Amen to that!

I quit riding for the years the kids were at home, started back up again this year...I've had several 'almosts' in the months since ~ every one, the cage driver was busy with a phone.

Last week on the way to the DZ I was nearly sideswiped by an SUV ...the lady driving held up her phone to me like it was the PHONES fault! :S>:(

I think what people don't realize is how different it is to focus on a conversation on the phone than it is to have a conversation with someone else in the car. The person in your car can see what's going on around you. They can be another set of eyes and ears for problems on the road - either pointing them out to you, or shutting up when it's apparent that conditions have changed and you need to focus more on the road and less on the conversation. Meanwhile the person on the other end of the phone is going "Hello? Are you there? Did I lose you?" :D:D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

I think what people don't realize is how different it is to focus on a conversation on the phone than it is to have a conversation with someone else in the car. The person in your car can see what's going on around you. They can be another set of eyes and ears for problems on the road - either pointing them out to you, or shutting up when it's apparent that conditions have changed and you need to focus more on the road and less on the conversation. Meanwhile the person on the other end of the phone is going "Hello? Are you there? Did I lose you?" :D:D

YES.

Actually, whilst I was in high-school, my best friend's mom forbade her to give lifts to her friends after she had just gotten her licence... She thought it was a stupid rule, but I didn't think so. Even an in-car conversation is distracting, especially to a new driver. So whenever she offered to drive me anywhere, I said no thanks - I'll just walk. She did a couple of barrel-rolls a couple of weeks later... She had been drinking and she had other people in the car... *That* certainly woke her up... Luckily she spun out of control on black ice and the only thing that suffered any injuries was her car... She then followed her mother's rules TO THE LETTER, funnily enough... :S
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

NWFlyer

I remember reading a study a few years back that found that talking on the phone even negatively affected people's ability to walk in crowds compared to having a conversation with someone walking with them.

I've taken up a similar habit... I do most of my driving on relatively sparsly-driven Interstate 10 (Southern AZ). This means fewer cars, but also a greater sense of complacency in drivers, and ergo LOTS of texting and talking while driving.

I will usually give a pass to someone who is just talking on the phone and who also seems to be driving in a reasonably safe manner. BUT, if your talking is making you weave like a douche, or if you are looking at your phone for ANY reason as I pass you (none of this "I was using Siri" shit), I just lean on my horn.

No friendly "tap-tap" on the horn and friendly smile as I make the "hang up and drive" hand signal. I just put my weight on the horn and leave it there until I'm done passing. This usually gets the point across, gets the driver's attention, and at a minimum disturbs them from their task for as long as I'm on the horn.

If you're going to risk my life by texting while driving on the same road as me, I'm damn sure going to relish interrupting your train of thought and (if I'm lucky) scaring the shit out of you in the process.

Elvisio "better than dying" Rodriguez

skydiver30960

No friendly "tap-tap" on the horn and friendly smile as I make the "hang up and drive" hand signal. I just put my weight on the horn and leave it there until I'm done passing. This usually gets the point across, gets the driver's attention, and at a minimum disturbs them from their task for as long as I'm on the horn.

If you're going to risk my life by texting while driving on the same road as me, I'm damn sure going to relish interrupting your train of thought and (if I'm lucky) scaring the shit out of you in the process.

Elvisio "better than dying" Rodriguez

I do this sometimes as well... When someone has cut me off on a roundabout (when I had the right of way) or has caused me to deviate or is just plainly being dangerous... Sometimes they get annoyed with ME for honking, when they damned near killed me... I worry sometimes about road-rage and whether this long, sustained honking is the most effective way to get across to these morons that they should pay attention, or whether they just continue to think the nuisance is merely the loud noise they are hearing... :S[:/]
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Nataly

me... I worry sometimes about road-rage...

...I agree, which is why I usually don't pull this trick in very urban areas or really dense traffic. In situations like that, there is too much room for someone I'm NOT pissed with to decide that my honk was meant for them, and have things get ugly.

On quieter roads, it's more obvious that yes, this was intended for THIS specific asshat.

Elvisio "smart phones make us dumb" rodriguez

'course, back in Monkeytown when I started my career (Before the advent of cellphones) I went by some idiot on the interstate who was driving very erratically. I glanced over while passing and he had some big-ass book propped up on his steering wheel. People don't need technology to be stupid.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

skydiver30960

***me... I worry sometimes about road-rage...

On quieter roads, it's more obvious that yes, this was intended for THIS specific asshat.

I worry about these people too... :S:S
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

oldwomanc6

• A guy licking the foil "lid" on a butterscotch pudding cup with both hands. I looked at him, and he stuck it to the window of his truck, all without ever touching the steering wheel. All I can say is, I want the guy that does his alignment !

Some people can drive with one knee leaving both hands free for other things.

DrewEckhardt

...and some of us don't use a 'knee' :P

airtwardo

...and some of us don't use a 'knee' :P

:D

We were in the truck, so I could look down at him, and it was neither appendage! :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

How can ANYBODY in this day and age who drives for a living not have a blue tooth ear piece? It boggles my mind that a guy in a semi truck with a 16 speed manual transmission tries to drive with one hand while talking on a cell. For the lack of $40 he will fuck up traffic all day long and or kill someone?