CanuckInUSA

New toy, new addiction, same old adrenaline rush

Skydiving is awesome, but I hate to say it, it got to the point where all I wanted to do was swoop. Those who know me from Colorado, know me from the competitive swoop scene back in 2004-2006, know that all I ever did was hop n' pops and then swooped the course or the pond. But ever since I moved back to Calgary (where half the year it snows), I just could not stay current with my swooping and felt I could be an accident waiting to happen if I thought I could just pick up where I left off after the winter breaks.

So I sought out new adrenaline rush addictions. It started with me driving my 1997 Porsche 993 at my local race track during open lapping sessions. And I got three fantastic seasons in where I really learned to drive the 911 at my limits and pretty darn close to the car's limits as seen here. But then the city permanently closed down this race track and no replacement has surfaced yet.

But I found a new addiction to fuel my need for adrenaline. I just purchased a used (2012) racing go-kart and took delivery last night. This is not one of those "put put" machines you rent down at the local amusement park. It is a full fledged racing machine that is capable of hitting speeds of 85 mph (140 kph) on the kart race track straights, and it corners like you would not believe where you pull 2-3Gs in the corners. The Kart has a 2-stroke 125cc Rotax DD2 engine with duel front disc brakes to go along with the normal single rear disc brake and it produces 34 HP at just under 14,000 RPMs weighing in at about 180 lbs. Tracking my Porsche 911 is a walk in the park compared to this Karting beast. Without a doubt this Kart with it's power to weight ratio is the most powerful machine I have ever driven and I have so much to learn concerning how to be smooth and not over drive it, because it is very easy to over drive, spin up the tires, over heat them and scrub off speed as opposed to building speed, There is a common saying in racing world which is "Slow is Fast" and well now I understand what this means. In my one hour of driving this Kart to date (5 x 12 minute stints), I am lapping in the 0:51.XXs at the local track, but I need to be lapping in the 0:48:XXs to 0:49.XXs to be competitive with all the other more experienced shifters and fellow DD2ers. So I have my work cut out ahead of me. Weather permitting I will be down at the track every Tuesday and Thursday evening until it gets too cold to drive.

Here are some URL links to pictures of the new toy:

Rotax DD2 - Side View
Rotax DD2 - Front View
Rotax DD2 - Rear View
Rotax DD2 - Cockpit View
New Cargo Trailer used to haul the Kart around in

Let the learning curve begin. Just hope my semi-old body can hold up to the punishment this Kart delivers.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

JerryBaumchen

Hi Canuck,

Back in the 50's ( yup, I was there ) when go-carts first were being built, there was a company that built & sold chassis' for them. One of their ads said, "It might not go 150 MPH but at 2 inches from the road you won't know the difference."

B|

JerryBaumchen

So true ...

Wow. I'd have the same power to weight ratio as my STi (180lb driver gives a little over 10lb/hp.). And with the ability to pull that many G's, I would bet it could beat my car around a twisty track pretty easily.

I bet it IS a beast to drive; I have heard ppl have cracked ribs.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

grimmie

Do 200 laps before you mount a GoPro!!;)

Looks seriously fun!

200 laps will happen sooner than one thinks. But yeah I likely will be getting one, but I don't want to distract myself in the pits yet fiddling with a camera because I need to be paying attention to the mechanical condition of the Kart and my body first. But I am sure I will get one. They are good tools for analyzing your line.

Nice man, always wanted one but i think i am too fucking fat for it to be fast. With small cars weights even a bigger issue, i am 240 lbs.

What’s the acceleration like vs 993 to 50mph lets say?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

The Kart isn't the best accelerator from a standing start. There is not a lot of torque at low RPMs. The secret to the Kart is to keep your momentum up in all the corners. But it has awesome acceleration from about 7000 RPMs to the rev limit of 13,800 RPMs. My 993 (not even remotely close to being a really fast car) can do 0 to 60 in about 5 seconds and it's a very forgiving car to learn on. Not too fast, but definitely not slow. However I believe I need to adjust some of my driving style between the 993 and the Kart. The Kart has no rear differential and no suspension, so you need to be smooth yet abrupt with your control inputs on the Kart to get that inside rear tire lifted off the ground while you corner. If the inside rear is not unweighted, you will be scrubbing speed. Seems like a fine balance between being smooth yet abrupt. I have had the more experienced Karters comment that I am definitely not slow, but that I still driving the Kart like I drive a rear engine Porsche and I need to learn to break that habit. But how? LOL So much still to learn ... :)

Make sure your seat fits really well. Have seen a number of guys with separated sternums from the side loads. That doesn't heal, ever. We use to race up in Dacano. Buddy Lazier brought out a 250 shifter one time to practice indy car stuff. It got 4 laps to a set of tires. There use to be a nice track east of Colorado Springs. I think the place was at 7900 feet. Interesting tuning. I've heard there is a track at Bandimire and Grand Junction too. Then when you think you really have your shit together run the Chili Bowl classic.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

CanuckInUSA

The Kart isn't the best accelerator from a standing start. There is not a lot of torque at low RPMs. The secret to the Kart is to keep your momentum up in all the corners. But it has awesome acceleration from about 7000 RPMs to the rev limit of 13,800 RPMs. My 993 (not even remotely close to being a really fast car) can do 0 to 60 in about 5 seconds and it's a very forgiving car to learn on. Not too fast, but definitely not slow. However I believe I need to adjust some of my driving style between the 993 and the Kart. The Kart has no rear differential and no suspension, so you need to be smooth yet abrupt with your control inputs on the Kart to get that inside rear tire lifted off the ground while you corner. If the inside rear is not unweighted, you will be scrubbing speed. Seems like a fine balance between being smooth yet abrupt. I have had the more experienced Karters comment that I am definitely not slow, but that I still driving the Kart like I drive a rear engine Porsche and I need to learn to break that habit. But how? LOL So much still to learn ... :)

Sounds like a lot of fun man. Enjoy it and be safe i have a few friends who race Karts one lucky bastard gets to go to Laguna Seca a few times a year. Thats track that i must race on before i die.

Post videos man when you get them. :)
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Sounds like a lot of fun man. Enjoy it and be safe i have a few friends who race Karts one lucky bastard gets to go to Laguna Seca a few times a year. Thats track that i must race on before i die.

Laguna Seca is a cool track, I have raced the virtual version of it in iRacing. But I can only imagine what the Corkscrew must be like in the real world. Don't #### up there, that's for sure. There are tons of tracks I would love to try. Laguna Seca, Road America, Watkins Glen, Sebring, Mosport, Road Atlanta, VIR, Millerpark, etc, etc, etc. But two tracks I would give my left nut to try are Spa and Nordschleife (the Nurburgring). For your friend who gets to drive Laguna Seca, I am envious. But I must also remind myself and I am only 1.5 hours drive (in good weather) from the Lake Louise ski resort. So I too am close to some world class fun in my back yard. But I got to say the people in Utah are perfectly situated. Not far from Moab, Eloy, the Perrine Bridge, and close to the Salt Flats plus having Millerpark and all those ski resorts in their back yards. Too bad many of them are mormons. But mormons can have fun and be adrenaline junkies can't they? LOL