theonlyski

Rough year for lawn mowers

skydiver604

We have 370 potential accidents,,,,how awesome is that?

Actually not a surprise, I worked Health and Safety for a large manufacturing company, the lengths we had to go to installing guards on equipment to make them idiot proof so the trained worker could operate safely and somewhat accident free was just mind boggling.

The problem with making something idiot proof is they just build a stronger idiot.

When I was just a grasshopper I'd worked at various company's that produced "dump and package" machines.
All the machines had guards interlocked with the circuits, even if you wanted to shuttle the machine the guard had
to be closed. It was amazing the amount of reports that came in saying that the accident was due to operator error,
meaning that some one had bypassed the safety switch or managed to put their hand up under the guard and had
shuttled the machine with their hand in the jaws resulting in lost or mangled fingers.

Gone fishing

Printing shop, paper cutter, two hands to operate it (press and hold switch on each end of the table), guy cuts his hand off...go figure.
:S

Yes, he jury-rigged (no offense Sharkman) one to stay closed.
more :S

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hi pops,

Yes, he jury-rigged (no offense Sharkman) one to stay closed.

I saw the same thing with a large steel plate shear at a Bethlehem Steel facility back in the 70's.

He still had both hands, but that brick laying on one of the dead-man switches always got my attention.

B|

Wasn't there some guy named Darwin with some theory about selectivity?

:P

JerryBaumchen

All joking aside, there are some really cool bits of tech out there these days to reduce industrial injuries. At a site visit last month one of my clients mentionned thye were looking into a new kind of circular bench saw with sensors that stop it dead with explosive bolts if it comes into contact with flesh. Pretty impressive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbndZtkfcqs

mr2mk1g

All joking aside, there are some really cool bits of tech out there these days to reduce industrial injuries. At a site visit last month one of my clients mentionned thye were looking into a new kind of circular bench saw with sensors that stop it dead with explosive bolts if it comes into contact with flesh. Pretty impressive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbndZtkfcqs

England, explosives, something just made my radar trip. a decent DC brake would make most machines stop dead.

Gone fishing

No like this thing does - better vid here showing how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnlTGndRi38

Whole blade drops down under the table away from fingers. Needs the blade and safety mech replacing afterwards - a 5 min job and a $70 part - but that's a lot cheaper than trying to collect your employees fingers up after he lops them off (well, it's cheaper than the hike in your employers liability insurance premium anyway).

mr2mk1g

I've seen info on that several times, but never saw an explanation of how the braking was done by jamming a aluminum block into the blade. Interesting.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Zep

What I'll never understand is why on earth is the human race hell bent on changing the course of natural selection.

The Industrial Revolution
Has flipped the switch on evolution
Everything is reversing
And it's worsening

~Fat Mike of NOFX "The Idiots Are Taking Over" :)