airdvr

Sci-fi fans

DanG

Maybe you need to watch it again.

Um, no thanks.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

The whole method of invasion made no sense. Why go through the trouble? The only way the species can attack a planet is make clones of whoever they send up, and then fool them into thinking they're fighting for the good guys? Please. And more importantly, why let him onto the mothership at the end? You've got technology capable of all the shit that the aliens can do, but you can't tell that there's a bomb on the ship (that you made)?

It seemed like about 3/4 of the way through filming they sat down and said, "Okay, how are we going to end this thing?"

At least it had some plot akin to "real" science fiction. I was actually surprised they even made this film, considering most sci fi has to have at least 120 db mindless action for 2 hours to even make the charts these days...

C

I hope the remake of "Forbidden Planet" has the fiction and plot of the original, and not at the expense of the studio pandering to a mindless crowd with excessive effects...
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

ChrisD

I hope the remake of "Forbidden Planet" has the fiction and plot of the original, and not at the expense of the studio pandering to a mindless crowd with excessive effects...

From what I understand, it was a perfectly acceptable five act play on a simple stage in the 17th century. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***I hope the remake of "Forbidden Planet" has the fiction and plot of the original, and not at the expense of the studio pandering to a mindless crowd with excessive effects...

From what I understand, it was a perfectly acceptable five act play on a simple stage in the 17th century. ;)

Like how many here know what he is speaking about,

that is like so "deep" Man.

Heavy, but in a good way....

Wow , I'm floored....

Do ya think the "English Bastard" stole the story from the Greeks?

:)
C

Be careful what you wish for, I guess???

Awesome man, thanks....
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

>The premise for the attack of the Scavs was flawed from the start: They were trying
>to grab water from Earth. If water was what a space-faring alien race needs, our Oort
>Cloud has so much water it is ridiculous.

Stealing water from Earth is one of the standard SF tropes, up there with the zombie virus that makes people superhuman (but often also dead), the aliens that look just like humans with funny noses, and "we're all living in a dream." I generally just take them at face value. Lately I look more for internal consistency even given an unrealistic premise. (i.e. you can postulate a weapon that can easily destroy a planet, but if that same weapon has trouble taking out the hero's ship . . . .)

Overall I thought it was well done. Photography was great.

Stealing water from Earth is one of the standard SF tropes, up there with the zombie virus that makes people superhuman (but often also dead), the aliens that look just like humans with funny noses, and "we're all living in a dream." I generally just take them at face value. Lately I look more for internal consistency even given an unrealistic premise. (i.e. you can postulate a weapon that can easily destroy a planet, but if that same weapon has trouble taking out the hero's ship . . . .)

Overall I thought it was well done. Photography was great.

In general I agree. The photography was great, the effects were not intrusive or over the top, and the plot was good up until the end.

My biggest problem, though, was internal consistency.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

The baddie used an army of Tom Cruise clones to take over the world. What did it fool them into thinking? They all obviously knew that they were clones, why keep that a secret from maintenance man Tom Cruise? If it can get an army of clones to destroy their own planet, why does it need such an elaborate ruse to keep a few maintenance men working? The answer: to keep the audience fooled. As soon as I found out the overall storyline, the fourth wall was broken for me. The movie was trying to keep a Sixth Sense type secret from the audience, but the secret didn't fit with the universe created to house the secret.

- Dan G

>Essentially it has to do with whether or not a person believes JJ is "raping their
>childhood" or really has no exposure to classic Star Trek to begin with.

I don't think it's "raping my childhood." It's a different story with different actors and a different timeline set in a different society. It's akin to all the "how Batman began" movies over the years; none of them have significant continuity with the 1970's series.

>He has categorically denied watching the series . . . .

Yeah, right. I have a feeling snippets from the original series (like the Uhura/Spock thing) will continue to magically make their way into the new films even though he "never saw the series." Perhaps he has an assistant watch them and take notes.

billvon

>Essentially it has to do with whether or not a person believes JJ is "raping their childhood" or really has no exposure to classic Star Trek to begin with.

I don't think it's "raping my childhood." It's a different story with different actors and a different timeline set in a different society. It's akin to all the "how Batman began" movies over the years; none of them have significant continuity with the 1970's series.

The difference being most people "like" most of the modern Batman incarnations. There isn't a general controversy over them vs the original series.

>He has categorically denied watching the series . . . .
Yeah, right. I have a feeling snippets from the original series (like the Uhura/Spock thing) will continue to magically make their way into the new films even though he "never saw the series." Perhaps he has an assistant watch them and take notes.

Spock and Uhura never had a kissing scene (or any attraction whatsoever) in the original series. You might be thinking of Kirk and Uhura in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato%27s_Stepchildren: the first televised interracial kiss.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>The difference being most people "like" most of the modern Batman incarnations.
>There isn't a general controversy over them vs the original series.

Hmm. I've seen a few raging fights over them on boards elsewhere.

>Spock and Uhura never had a kissing scene (or any attraction whatsoever) in the
>original series.

?? Not talking about a kissing scene; it seemed like they were setting up a relationship for a while. heck, the first quote below is from from season 1 episode 1.

===
UHURA: I was just trying to start a conversation.
SPOCK: Well, since it is illogical for a communications officer to resent the word frequency, I have no answer.
UHURA: No, you have an answer. I'm an illogical woman who's beginning to feel too much a part of that communications console. Why don't you tell me I'm an attractive young lady, or ask me if I've ever been in love? Tell me how your planet Vulcan looks on a lazy evening when the moon is full.
SPOCK: Vulcan has no moon, Miss Uhura.
===
SPOCK:I know you. All of you. James Kirk, Captain and friend for many years. And Leonard McCoy, also of long acquaintance. And Uhura, whose name means freedom. She walks in beauty, like the night.
===

I always thought they'd pick it up later in one of the movies, but they never did.

>You might be thinking of Kirk and Uhura in http://en.wikipedia.org
>/...ato%27s_Stepchildren: the first televised interracial kiss.

Trivia of the day - the script called out for Spock and Uhura to kiss, but Shatner wanted to do it so they gave it to him.

In the discussions that I have seen, it seems that no one remembers the context, until reminded, ,that the new Star Trek is following a different time course than all the previous ones did.

The Romulan, Nero made sure of that.

All possible episodes of the original J.T. Kirk never happened in their universe.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

quade

All possible episodes of the original J.T. Kirk never happened in their universe.

Which, is fucking stupid.

ALL Star Trek versions delve into the paradox of spacetime and multiple universe theory.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>In the discussions that I have seen, it seems that no one remembers the context, until
>reminded, ,that the new Star Trek is following a different time course than all the
>previous ones did.

Right. Except for the things that are the same (like Khan, the Federation etc.) The "new" Star Trek splits off just before Kirk's birth, and nothing after that need be the same.

Except, of course, it is; the same bridge crew, same ship, same relationships, even the same villains. It was a way that Abrams could get more flexibility from the canon while still using elements from it he liked.

billvon

It was a way that Abrams could get more flexibility from the canon while still using elements from it he liked.

Right.

Paul would have us believe its stupid and wrong to do so.

Just watched it, and i liked it a solid 8 out of 10.

I think the movie could have been 8 hr long if they really filled in every thing that happened, but still good.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Darius11

Just watched it, and i liked it a solid 8 out of 10.

I think the movie could have been 8 hr long if they really filled in every thing that happened, but still good.

I would like to see one of those 8 hour movies.

JohnMitchell

Or as Stan said, "Dad! Tom Cruise won't come out of the closet!"

Of course not. He's in there making out with John Travolta. :P

I thought it was R Kelly. :P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

So I saw this, twice, recently. I wasn't overly impressed other than visually and the score is magnificent (m83!)

It wasn't bad, just predictable. I called the Tech 52 idea about 10 mins into the movie.

I'd rate it around 6 out of 10. Moon did it better I thought.
Performance Designs Factory Team