theonlyski

Going back to school...

Looks like I'm going to go get my private pilots license...:S

Guess it'll give me something to do after work two nights a week for a while... This should be interesting...

Would it be bad form to show up with my own bail out rig?:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Have fun. That's one thing I haven't done still is get a pilot's license. Being a jumper you probably will be quite a bit more used to flying than maybe the average student.

I hope you get a good instructor.:)

I did a discovery flight with this instructor, very nice guy and seems to be on the ball when it comes to teaching flight.

Being a skydiver probably will help me out for the flight part... the landing however... well... I still dont know about that. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Looks like I'm going to go get my private pilots license...:S

You sound like you aren't happy about it.

Oh, I'm excited about it, just a bit nervous... ;)

Theres a LOT of information that I'm going to have to absorb into this noggin of mine.

Yeah, you'll need to remember this. Don't push down on both sides of the yoke to flare!:D:D:D

Not going to lie, the take off was easy enough, the landing however, well... the view I saw out of that 172 when he flared it... not exactly a warm fuzzy feeling.

Yeah, you'll need to remember this. Don't push down on both sides of the yoke to flare!:D:D:D

Not going to lie, the take off was easy enough, the landing however, well... the view I saw out of that 172 when he flared it... not exactly a warm fuzzy feeling.

What kind of flare was it?
1-step, 2-step, 3-step?

Hit and roll, eh?

BTW, your accuracy skills will come in very handy!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

What kind of flare was it?
1-step, 2-step, 3-step?

Hit and roll, eh?

BTW, your accuracy skills will come in very handy!

All I remember about the flare was, this doesn't feel right, and it felt like we were flaring way too high, but he seemed to know what he was doing, so I let him handle it. :D

I just got my PPL last month. I found my skydiving experience helped and hindered. The sight picture is way different for flaring, but once you get used to the sight picture, flaring a plane is very similar to flaring a canopy. The hard part for me was getting my feet involved in the landing. Canopies don't have rudders.

The knowledge part may seem intimidating now, but get a good textbook and read it during your free time. It will come.

- Dan G

Thanks!

I have PLENTY of free time at work, so that shouldn't be an issue. B|

I didn't like the landing sight in the 172, I don't remember being able to see the ground out of the front window, that didn't feel right.

You're right, the nose gets in the way, so you can't see the ground too well. I find that I land best when I do the same thing I did in skydiving, which is try to hold the gear (feet) a foot off the ground for as long as possible. Just keep easing the stick back (toggles down) to maintain that foot off the ground. Eventually, you'll run out of lift and settle down. You don't need to be able to see the ground at all, as long as you can tell that you're flying level. Assuming you're doing this at one foot high instead of ten feet high, you'll have a great landing every time. You'll get a feel for what one foot off the ground feels like, and then it's easy as pie.

- Dan G

Yeah, it's just going to be a little interesting the first few times I bet.

Thanks! Should be fun times, and I have it worked out so I actually won't have to pay out of pocket (sort of) and can even get my commercial rating afterwords without paying for it.:)

Thanks! Should be fun times, and I have it worked out so I actually won't have to pay out of pocket (sort of) and can even get my commercial rating afterwords without paying for it.

Shit that's sweet. Who's your pimp?

- Dan G

Thanks! Should be fun times, and I have it worked out so I actually won't have to pay out of pocket (sort of) and can even get my commercial rating afterwords without paying for it.

you. and me. and everybody else in the U.S. its from the military

The U.S. Govt.;)

you. and me. and everybody else in the U.S. its from the military

Not true...

Only the tax payers. :P

Are you using the GI Bill or is there some other benefit specific to your MOS?

I am out now, I am getting VA comp pay which I will just use for the training cost, then the GI bill will pick up once I get my PPL.

WOW! That sounds like fun!
Congrats! I hope you do very well!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

i just went thru a year ago and working on my instrument now. screw the books and get an online course from king schools.(i have used sportys as well but didnt like it as much) way easier and will help with the testing. the only book i recommend is the oral exam guide (hayes) for the oral part of the practical. start studying the oral exam guide halfway thru training at about 20 hours so u are ready at 40 hours. good luck. i did my ppl in 2 months part time.
dont let life pass you by

Just an update:

New logbook entry yesterday evening: PIC: 0.6, SOLO: 0.6

B|

Only took 8 weeks to get my medical!:S

Just an update:

B|

Congrats! Shirtail cut or do they still even do that? The Wright brothers signed off my solo.

And the FAA, are the slowest f's as far as pushing some paperwork through.[:/]

Just an update:

B|

Congrats! Shirtail cut or do they still even do that? The Wright brothers signed off my solo.

And the FAA, are the slowest f's as far as pushing some paperwork through.[:/]

My CFI didn't see a reason to destroy a shirt (even if it was a skydiving shirt)

Dude thinks I'm crazy. During my last touch-n-go with him in the plane, he asked if I was nervous to solo (which, I was) he said "You jump out of fucking airplanes, why are you nervous about landing one by yourself?"

My canopy doesn't have a big metal spinny thing to keep off the ground. :D

Oddly, I wasn't as nervous actually doing it as I thought I was going to be. Guess ya fly a pattern 50 times, you kinda get used to it, and it gets easier to do instead of having to think about carb heat, RPM's, flaps, speed, altitudes, radio calls and so on... they just kinda start flowing.

Fucker did somehow turn off the VASI on me. Guess I had to learn to land without it eventually.:D