quade

"Elysium" by Neill Blomkamp

Gnat

It's a political statement about illegal immigration and health care.

And I hate that jerky camera technique - I wish Hollywood would quit using it.

Is this your opinion based on actually seeing it or assumptions?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***It's a political statement about illegal immigration and health care.

Is this based on you seeing it or assumptions?

Saw it. Didn't care for it much.

GooniesKid

***It's a political statement about illegal immigration and health care.

i agree. class warfare: rich vs. poor.
i'm just waiting for the Justice League movie instead.
That'll be a long wait.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

>And I hate that jerky camera technique - I wish Hollywood would quit using it.

Agreed. First saw it on Firefly; hated it then too.

The additional effort you go through to make a 100% computer animated scene look like it was filmed with a poorly focused handycam would probably be better spent improving other parts of the production.

NorrinRadd

******It's a political statement about illegal immigration and health care.

i agree. class warfare: rich vs. poor.
i'm just waiting for the Justice League movie instead.
That'll be a long wait.

Unfortunately [:/]

GooniesKid

Unfortunately [:/]

Is it? Does the viewing public really -need- any more super hero movies? I think the genre is tired and over saturated. Just look at the box office this summer. Fine in the extended early months with Iron Man 3, but by the time we get to the end . . . whoa . . . it has NOT been an overall good year for super hero tent poles.
quade -

billvon

>i agree. class warfare: rich vs. poor.

You've just eliminated about half the SF movies produced by Hollywood . . . .

Quite a few horror films too. What do we think zombie movies represent?
quade -

>It's a political statement about illegal immigration and health care.

Saw it, and IMO the health care thing is more a MacGuffin than a real political statement. The goal of people in the movie is not health care reform, or better funding of surface hospitals, it's getting to a specific device. It's an enigmatic medical machine that is effectively magic - unexplained and completely separate from anything else in the movie.

Stumpy

I vote for "The World's End" for the best science fiction film this month B|

Doesn't hit the US theaters until August 23, but certainly will be the best sci-fi comedy of the month. ;)
quade -

Saw it last night and loved it. Admittedly, I am really into stunning visuals, and this one delivers! Jodi Foster was brilliant.

As far as which movies it's inherited from, I really saw a lot of THX-1138 in this one. Oppressed working class, treating humans like machinery, hero is helping to build the robots that are controlling the humans, and take a pill to fix everything! There was homage to Empire Strikes Back, when the robo-droids come out of the 'mothership', searching for the 'rebels', which I loved. Brain-hacking was reminiscent of Neuromancer.

People are going to whine that the movie is politicized, because people today are blaming either Bush or Obama for everything. Ever hear of dystopian fiction? These themes are standard fare: wealth inequality (e.g. Soylent Green), class warfare (the list here is endless), standard of medical care (e.g. Gattica), technological overseers (e.g. THX-1138). This movie borrowed from a lot of themes, and it played up a few that inspire emotion in the current state of affairs.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

There were aspects of District 9 that I enjoyed a great deal, but I found that work to be not simply heavy-handed, but disproportionately representing the negative qualities of humanity.

I dunno. I actually lived through apartheid - the underpinnings of the movie. I found it to be bang of the money for portraying the negative qualities of humanity.

I still find District 9 a poignant commentary on South Africa in the 70's-90's
Performance Designs Factory Team

ianmdrennan

I dunno. I actually lived through apartheid - the underpinnings of the movie. I found it to be bang of the money for portraying the negative qualities of humanity.

I still find District 9 a poignant commentary on South Africa in the 70's-90's

Do you feel that a viewer who did *not* live through apartheid could fully appreciate what the movie was saying?

I didn't care for it, but have wondered if it was because I did not have enough in common with the filmmaker's background.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Do you feel that a viewer who did *not* live through apartheid could fully appreciate get what the movie was saying?

I think to a certain degree, yes - and I don't mean that in an elitist or snobby way at all. It's just very hard, I think, for people to comprehend how close to the truth that was if they weren't there to witness, or experience, it.

The scene where Wikus is almost excited at the popping eggs is a perfect, and very very realistic, portrayal of the dehumanization that happened. It sickened me to watch.

The removal of people from their homes 'legally' only to be placed in a shanty town, intentionally isolated, was also very accurate too.

Simply substitute "Prawn" with "Kaffir" and you have a pretty good history and depiction of the apartheid era and mentality in that movie (sans the sci fi of course)

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

ryoder

I didn't care for it, but have wondered if it was because I did not have enough in common with the filmmaker's background.

This is a good observation and realization about not only yourself, but communication in general.
quade -

quade

***To me District 9 came off as a low budget film that just wasn't worth the time it took to watch it.

I would say never judge a film by its budget. ;)

Some of the biggest budget films are completely horrible. Far too many.

Some of the smallest budget films are the most exquisite things you'll ever watch.

+1 B|

What he (Paul Quade) said....B|

A lot of people miss out on some quality entertainment because they are suckered into the super-mega-gigaplex and not the art house.

That's okay though. I like it exclusive B|B|B|

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

It's playing at the open air cinema this evening and I can't wait to see it. It might rain and I don't even give a shit. I'm really excited about this movie - I don't get excited about very many movies... But just the effects are enough to make me want to pay extra to see it on a big screen... B|

I will almost certainly be disappointed... I've built it up too big in my head!!! :D:D

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss