John4455

Cost of an AAD

I have a new rig that needs an AAD. Right now there is the Cypress2 and the Vigil. My other rig has a cypress. When I think about buying a cypress as far as the cost goes, its like buying time.
For example, ( These cost are estimates not exact figures)
New Cypress 2..........$1250
2 Year batteries........$ 85
4 Year Service...........$ 200 (?)
6 Year batteries............$85
8 Year Service...........$ 200
10 Year Batteries..........$85
12 Years Expires...............
Total......................$1905
or about $160 per year to have the AAD in your rig.

in the classifieds I saw a cypress listed used with 3 1/2 years left, needing 8 year for $390.
This would cost $675 or about $193/year for its remaining lifetime.
I must say that a new Vigil is looking better and better.

How do ya like it Johnny?

You can remove the battery replacement costs from your list. The CYPRES2 doesn't require a bettery change over its 12-year service life. :)
Using exact costs from my recent dealings with SSK, maintenance cost is $187 including shipping both ways (UPS Ground, NC <> OH).

That should lower your "per year" user cost to about $135/year.
Arrive Safely

John

I've been monitoring the Used Cypres Market.

It's all about supply and demand for sure.

It is rather disgusting that people are taking advantage of the fact that used cypres are far and few between. So a used cypres with little value is going to the highest bidder. And that bid is waaaay overpriced.

But don't worry. The market will catch up. Soon there will used Cypres2s available and the "overpriced used original cypres" will become a thing of the past.

In fact, I am now starting to get my first used Cypres2s coming through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Don't you get hit for batteries at the 4 year also, so another $85 at 4 and 8 years? Same would apply for the Cypres2

True statement for the CYPRES 1. Battery replacement is necessary at the 2/4/6/8/10 year marks.

The statement is not true for the CYPRES 2. The power supply is designed to last the entire 12 year/3 month service life of the unit. If an issue with the power supply is found during the 4/8 year service, Airtec/SSK absorbs the cost of the replacement (confirmed via telephone with SSK today).

Maintenance costs have never increased for the CYPRES. SSK says they have no immediate plans to increase costs. Some units that do not pass the battery of tests performed at SSK require shipment to Airtec GmbH in Germany for further testing, repair, and completion of service. There is no additional cost for those few units that require shipment to Germany.
Arrive Safely

John

As of today the service cost for the Cypres-2 4 and 8 years service has NOT been determined. Only that "Airtec plans to keep the cost as close to the original CYPRES but
nothing has been set in stone to date."

Per SSK today.

So can't know the cost as of now.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

***The statement is not true for the CYPRES 2. The power supply is designed to last the entire 12 year/3 month service life of the unit. If an issue with the power supply is found during the 4/8 year service, Airtec/SSK absorbs the cost of the replacement (confirmed via telephone with SSK today).

The FAQ link you provided has several references to 4-year life for the Cypres2 battery. It should be updated to reflect your telephone call info.

All the more reason not to buy a used AAD

I'd say that depends. I got a battery for 50$, a friend sold me his old cypres with about 2 years left on it for 130$, and if I trade it in after it expires I get 60$ off the price of a new one. So that amounts to 60$ per year for an aad in my rig.:)

Copied from an earlier, similar post:

You might consider one that needs the service to be done (at appropriate cost, of course).

You pay SSK directly for the service, seller ships it to Ohio.

SSK should owe you the report of the unit's health. Anyway, it will leave in good condition - repair/replace/adjust whatever is needed.

You then get a unit with no doubts.

Don't buy it until you get the OK from SSK, so that if it got wet you wouldn't have a worthless unit, they won't fix that sort of stuff within the cost of the 4/8 year service. Your risk is only that service cost.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I must say that a new Vigil is looking better and better.

The vigil EXPECT a lifetime of 20 years
vigil THINKS no sceduled maintenace required

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

must say that a new Vigil is looking better and better.

Vigil had this year one recall and recommends the Vigil Owners to send their Vigil back for reprogramming. (Next to a ban in Germany, Austria and Sweden, a changed manual with restrictions and so on and so on.)
Shipping and repack is at your own expense.

Even Bill Booth does not guarantee they will not impose a service:
However, I wouldn't be surprised, with the passage of time, that something might come up that would require that you return your unit for service. Hell, it already has. (Nov 7, 2004, 6:48 PM)

Are you sure the Vigil will be cheaper if time goes by???

Garik:(