jbcongo

Icon/Pilot/Smart Package Deal?

I know this past summer Aerodyne was offering a discount on a complete Icon/Pilot/Smart package.
I missed my chance, and was curious if anyone knows of any similar deals being offered by any retailers. Package deal including a cypress would be even better.

Thanks, Justin

If you're ordering everything at once, you should expect an extra good deal from any dealer. Make sure you give local dealers a chance to compete.

edit to add - there are some distinct advantages to having your harness/container mfg in the local area (Infinity by Velocity Sports). You don't have to get everything from one mfg in order to get a great deal.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

at 21 jumps you should wait unti around a hundred-200 jumps before you blow all that cash, you will more than likely want to downsize.
There is some really good used gear in the classifieds.

The depreciation on the Pilot isn't that bad, and the rest (rig, reserve size) shouldn't be changing that quickly. The summer promo was a pretty good one.

I respect the views about going the used route. I have been watching the classifieds here and on other sites reguarly. My problem is that I don't fit what appears to be the average size for gear. I am about 155lb, but only 5'3" short:)
I am definitely looking at all my options. Currently jumping 190zp student gear while I work on finishing up my A card. Just not sure how much I will really want to downsize down the road. Thanks to all for any input and advice.
Justin

First off you are getting all kinds of advise from newbies -
If you decide to buy a new rig, be prepared to lose money selling it as your statement

Just not sure how much I will really want to downsize down the road.

will change in 100 jumps or so it always does.
You can normally put about 2 to 3 sizes smaller mains in most containers which should get you down the road a ways if you downsize "smart"

Depending on how much you plan to jump will determine if it is worth buying vs. renting gear -
if you make 100 jumps a yr or more buy a rig new or used. Talk to your instructors as to what size main to get.
If you buy a new rig with a 170-190 in it you should be able to down size a couple a times in the future on the same custom made rig which will fit you better than used gear- and yes it does make a difference

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Contact Bonnie (gravitygirl on here) at Gravity Gear - www.gravitygear.com.. She keeps up on things like that. AND she absolutely loves putting skydivers under Pilots.

Dealers love selling Pilots because they are cheap canopies and they actually make more money on them, thats why they push them.

Pilots are cheap compared to a PD canopy they are about the same price as everyone elses give or take a little Pilot mains are about $1600
Cobalt $1450
Safire $1875
Fusion $1750
Z-Po $1450
Sentry $1600

I know that the Cobalt doesn't fit in the beginner cat. just wanted to put it in there also. All the canopies are about the same price - Aerodyne is a relatively newer company trying to get started don't be surprised if the prices go up in a few years.

Check out the Pilot vs. Sabre 2 thread in this forum it also shows why the pilot is selling so well not to mention it is less expensive
Jason

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

*Disclaimer* I have NO clue as to what is best for you to do. Ask your instructors and others that know your needs better.

Saying that, Aerodyne has been putting some fantastic deals out there lately. I wasn't even in the market for new gear, but I couldn't pass the opportunity that I was given up! :)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Listen to what everyone is saying about waiting just a little while before buying new custom gear.

At 25 Jumps, I lucked into a deal on complete Aerodyne Rig that was way too good to pass up. I ended up getting an Icon I6 and Pilot 188 which was (and still is for the most part) appropriate for me. Now here I am a few months later and know that I will be buying a Pilot 168 before the end of the year. The problem is that a 168 main will be a little loose in my I6 and I will not be able to go smaller after that in that container. So really, I need a new container too, If not now then within a year or so as I will probably settle into a 150 main eventually.
I love my Icon but I have one of the first generation rigs that have the Thinner closing flaps and the rig looks distorted if the pack job is not perfect. This is not an issue with the newer Icons as they stiffened up the side flaps on the newer design (so I was told). That is even more motivation for me to sell my brand new rig and buy another one since I am one of those vain jumpers that likes his gear to look good too.
If I had just waited a few months, I would have bought what I really needed to begin with.

Aerodyne Gear is great and the deals cannot be beat. Just make sure you get gear that will last you for few years before you buy custom gear.

I agree...don't buy stuff new so soon. I ordered my first (and brand new) rig at around 100 jumps with a wingload of 1.25 - 1.3...and I can still downsize in this rig. Buy something you will enjoy for a while....