ryoder

CO - Send money, guns, and....oh hell, just send boats!

That's crazy... especially those shots from around town in Denver and Aurora.

I used to live around there for many years and other some minor flooding here and there I never saw anything like that there before. Not even close.

But if I know Denver they will be still screaming about a "drought" because there wasn't enough snow (is there ever?) and how water rates are going up and water "rationing" will be in effect come next spring. :S

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Gov. Hickenlooper said we got a years worth of rain in 24 hours... equal to a hundred-something inches of snow.

Did anyone hear about the kid on his bike that got hit by a truck? That was my son. This is a lousy week. Even missed my canopy course on Tuesday because of the storms.

mattjw916

That's crazy... especially those shots from around town in Denver and Aurora.

I used to live around there for many years and other some minor flooding here and there I never saw anything like that there before. Not even close.

But if I know Denver they will be still screaming about a "drought" because there wasn't enough snow (is there ever?) and how water rates are going up and water "rationing" will be in effect come next spring. :S

Good thing I don't pay for water

From what I've heard today:

Longmont: Split in half by the flooded river.

Lyons: Effectively an island, (the part that isn't underwater).

Boulder: A hell of a mess, with authorities begging people to stay off the road.

ETA:
Read the notes with this video.
It is a concatenated set of clips.
If I'm reading this correctly, Estes Park is now isolated due to washed-out roads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWGK4CiWxeM
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yep, Longmont's basically a maze. There appears to be a lake on 119 between here and I25. Mandatory evacuation for my neighborhood stopped just 1 house short of mine. The drainage canal a block from my house was overflowing onto the road down there. Power was out all day yesterday, but just came on a few minutes ago.

I saw our DZ otter flying around yesterday, apparently taking some city officials to survey the damage. It seems like the water's receding, but there's still more rain on the way. It's not supposed to be as bad as it was last week.

It sounds like Lyons and Estes Park are in really bad shape. Lyons was cut off from everyone a couple days ago. I haven't heard much about Estes park except a few photos that look very much like Lyons does - covered in water.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Where are the Citizens for Dry Ground? I think that's more important than "quiet skies".

I do think it's funny that the otter flying around at 1k isn't making everyone on the ground complain of hearing loss. :D

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I have a house in Longmont, and the flood within 100m of me is iss pretty bad, but a boat load of fun. We got evacuated on thursday night, but nobody left.

Left Hand Creek, normally around 10-30CFS went up to about 6000CFS. Ate about 10-30m north of the old creek bed, took out a community outdoor swimming pool, a few bridges, etc. I turned my house into a refugee camp, one guest from Lyons currently, a few more arrive after they get airlifted out today.

Quote of the day, Via Matt Ward (from Lyons [Island 4] town meeting yesterday):
Lyons resident: Can we flush the toilets?
National Guard: Yes.
Lyons resident: But... Where does it go?
National Guard: Longmont.

I have been kayaking around the city, staying away from fast-moving parts. It's nasty. But a lot of fun.

"I wonder how bad this would have to get for me to want it to stop"

Yesterday I drove around Boulder with helping gear. Spent some time helping people tear carpet out of flooded basements before it molds and becomes a biohazard. But Boulder is mostly contained. Lyons is genuinely fucked though. Game over for that town. Hundreds missing.

theonlyski

Where are the Citizens for Dry Ground? I think that's more important than "quiet skies".

I do think it's funny that the otter flying around at 1k isn't making everyone on the ground complain of hearing loss. :D

There were 5 F/A-18's operating out of KBJC for 10 days around Labor day weekend.
You suppose she ever complained about them?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Boulder: A hell of a mess, with authorities begging people to stay off the road.

ETA:
If I'm reading this correctly, Estes Park is now isolated due to washed-out roads.

Guess they shouldn't smoke so much - God hates them.:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

LYONS, Colo. (AP) — As rescuers broke through to flood-ravaged Colorado towns, they issued a stern warning Saturday to anyone thinking of staying behind: Leave now or be prepared to endure weeks without electricity, running water and basic supplies.
Special education teacher Brian Shultz, 38, was torn about leaving his Jamestown home.

"I was thinking about staying. I could have lasted at least a year. I have a lot of training in wilderness survival," he said, adding that he probably had enough beer to last the whole time.

Ref: http://news.yahoo.com/rescuers-issue-stern-warming-colorado-evacuees-204755853.html

ryoder

ETA:

What about the airport-hating lady that lives or owns a house by the airport there? Did her house drown?

I know, that was bad...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

What about the airport-hating lady that lives or owns a house by the airport there? Did her house drown?

I know, that was bad...

She does *not* live by the airport;
She lives 6 miles away in Gunbarrel, (a burb of Boulder).

Couple videos I took with the cell phone:

Driving up 119 toward I25. You can't really see the big fucking lake in the road up ahead though. It looked like it was 2-3 miles across.

The Drainage Ditch About A Block From My House. They just widened that thing last year. I'm glad they did, or a lot more of the neighborhood would be under water I think.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Ugh. This was way too close today.

My backyard is adjacent to a "100 year flood plain". About noon, I'm looking back there it see it has completely flooded, and there is a current in the wrong direction! Instead of draining out the ditch at the West end, it is filling via that ditch because the water has backed up downstream.:o

About this same time, I received a text message via the reverse 911 system with a flash flood alert. I drove several blocks down to the bridge over the drainage ditch to see the water just barely below the bridge, and the adjacent park flooded.

It eventually slowed down and stopped with the edge of the water at my backyard fence, then slowly receded. [HUGE sigh of relief].

And we have more rain in the forecast for another 24 hours.:S