GogglesnTeeth

Big All Staff Meeting at work in 30 minutes.....

GogglesnTeeth

Much speculation..... :S

Anyone hiring in the South Florida area???? [:/]

IT guy will fix your computer for food.... ;).

Actually... I believe we're going to have a couple positions open up doing basic IT work. ;)

But we're in Tampa.:P

I don't need my computer fixed either...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

GogglesnTeeth

Much speculation..... :S

Anyone hiring in the South Florida area???? [:/]

IT guy will fix your computer for food.... ;).

Did they have the Bobs come in to do interviews?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

theonlyski

Actually... I believe we're going to have a couple positions open up doing basic IT work. ;)

But we're in Tampa.:P

I don't need my computer fixed either...

Just let me know where to send the resume and case of beer.... 20 minutes and counting...
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

turtlespeed

Did they have the Bobs come in to do interviews?

No Bob's roaming the halls, but reports of a very tall guy with a beard in the Boss's office today.....

Thinking positive would be great, however with several projects stalled lately, positions not filled, and the boss asking about cost of getting out of service contracts.... writing may be on the walls.
Goggles and Teeth

Update....
The company I have been working for for nearly 3 years has been sold to the only direct competition. So far, everyone still has their jobs and we are told to "keep doing what you are doing."

Stand by for the transition roller-coaster from small company to big corporate entity...... Weeeeeeeee! :S

Goggles and Teeth

mattjw916

don't panic (yet)... been through the merger thing before and life in the big corporate world isn't as bad as the media (ironically) and the film industry (double irony) make it out to be

In my experience, is is far worse.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

GogglesnTeeth

"keep doing what you are doing."

Corporate code for: The layoffs will come later after we combine departmental activities and see who's excess. :S
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Corporate code for: The layoffs will come later after we combine departmental activities and see who's excess.

Which means, if you want to keep this job, that you need to be the guy that everyone goes to for everything -- the one who knows not only the answers to questions, but knows which questions people should have asked.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Corporate code for: The layoffs will come later after we combine departmental activities and see who's excess.

Which means, if you want to keep this job, that you need to be the guy that everyone goes to for everything -- the one who knows not only the answers to questions, but knows which questions people should have asked.

Wendy P.

You are naively thinking corporate layoffs are connected to performance.
I once saw a corporation RIF the only guy who knew how to provision telco network links;
Then they had to keep adding people to the task until a year later they had *four* people doing his job.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Wendy P.

You are naively thinking corporate layoffs are connected to performance.
I once saw a corporation RIF the only guy who knew how to provision telco network links;
Then they had to keep adding people to the task until a year later they had *four* people doing his job.

Agreed. Generally speaking when entities merge it's the larger one that ends up calling the shots no matter what was said in the general meeting. The bean counters at the big company will look for duplications at the smaller one. No matter how efficient the duplicate persons may be, one or the other is going to be cut from the team and since the bean counters at the larger company have no relationships with the smaller one, it's frequently just seen as politically easier to ditch the smaller company's people.

This is also a time to be especially wary of getting stabbed in the back. Anyone you've ever crossed or maybe just doesn't get your sense of humor who has input into the decision making process can be selling you down the river in order to save themselves or their friends.

At most large companies, the bean counters will figure things out to the penny as to how much each employee is worth to the company in a particular function. If they're paying employee A more than employee B, regardless the quality of work, that alone may be the determining factor of which one gets the pink slip.

Start polishing that resume. Never hurts anyway.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

GogglesnTeeth

Update....
The company I have been working for for nearly 3 years has been sold to the only direct competition. So far, everyone still has their jobs and we are told to "keep doing what you are doing."

Stand by for the transition roller-coaster from small company to big corporate entity...... Weeeeeeeee! :S

Translation: We're gutting the company for its IP and will fire all of you the day before Christmas.

It might be OK, but usually the exodus starts early, a round of layoffs occurs and the ones who remain behind are either the bad ones who can't find a job elsewhere, really believed in the company before and are now embittered husks of their former selves, or both.

Been there a couple of times heh heh.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

Translation: We're gutting the company for its IP and will fire all of you the day before Christmas.

It might be OK, but usually the exodus starts early, a round of layoffs occurs and the ones who remain behind are either the bad ones who can't find a job elsewhere, really believed in the company before and are now embittered husks of their former selves, or both.

Been there a couple of times heh heh.

At the last company where I was working when it was acquired, there were 3 kinds of people:

a) The smart ones who bailed out shortly after the announcement, but before Legal Entity Change (when the buyer takes control).B|

b) The lucky ones, who were RIF'd with a severance package soon after LEC.:)
c) The schmucks like me who had to apply to be "rehired" into their existing jobs, then learned over the next year what a bunch of incompetent, clueless morons were running the company.:S I quit after ~2 years in order to preserve what was left of my sanity.

wmw999

Wendy P.

If you like your job, you can keep your job. Period!:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun