kallend

Prince of Darkness

Back in the late 80's, I wanted a Jag so bad. I had been looking and a friend of mine had one for sale. When I told people that I was considering his price.... Men started puking, women took their children, covered their ears and ran, alligators migrated south, mechanics starting throwing wrenches at me, the club owner threw me out...

;)

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I prefer the Lotus mentality - add lightness till it breaks. Now strengthen that part.

They still break but at least when they do they're simple enough to fix on your own - even the radio is an optional extra.

Then again they make some really stupid design decision. Change the radiator? Oh, that only means taking the front HALF of your car off. Bulb gone? Simples - jack it up, remove front wheel, take out 3 bolts inside the wheel arch, take the entire headlight assembly off, replace bulb, spend the next hour trying to line the p-clips up so you can bolt the lens back on. Alternator gone? Simple to access that one - you just have to work through a tiny hole in the wheel arch where the rear wheel usually sits... that's not quite big enough for the alternator to fit through. Topping up the windscreen washer fluid used to require removing 3 bolts and removing a body panel - thankfully they changed that and put the washer bottle in the engine bay where it should have been all along!

mr2mk1g

Bulb gone? Simples - jack it up, remove front wheel, take out 3 bolts inside the wheel arch, take the entire headlight assembly off, replace bulb, spend the next hour trying to line the p-clips up so you can bolt the lens back on.

That is EXACTLY what I had to do to change a bulb on my 2011 Subaru Outback. My wife's Prius requires removing the radiator support and the use of a mirror to change the headlight bulb. I wasn't aware that Subarus and Toyotas were designed in Britain.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

JohnMitchell

Perfect! :D

Hey, if you know you're going to make it to your destination, it's not a real sports car. :P

I no longer have a British car. Have they improved at all?

The ones that are now really German underneath work much better - BMW have sorted Rolls Royce & Mini.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

kallend

*** Bulb gone? Simples - jack it up, remove front wheel, take out 3 bolts inside the wheel arch, take the entire headlight assembly off, replace bulb, spend the next hour trying to line the p-clips up so you can bolt the lens back on.

That is EXACTLY what I had to do to change a bulb on my 2011 Subaru Outback. My wife's Prius requires removing the radiator support and the use of a mirror to change the headlight bulb. I wasn't aware that Subarus and Toyotas were designed in Britain.

Subaru must've only recently hired the Brit design team. I can change the bulb on my '03 Outback from under the hood. :)
also -- I've long ago had my fill of working on Lucas stuff. (Triumphs and bikes) :P

Had a 52 XK120. When I bought it a guy told me: Now you will find out why God made Sundays. To work on your English car so it makes it the rest of the week.
Remember the next time you get in a Sky Van. Lucas made the electric system for that too.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Amazon

If you ever owned a British car, this song's for you:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwHBXQjaCrw&sns=em

Amen to that.... my first Brit car was a 59' TR-3A bought in October of 1968. By Mid November in Milwaukee WI I was in desperate need of a beater-with-a-heater.. Snow storms on the inside of your car are just not safe.:ph34r:

I still have my '46 MG TC and it runs fine. Lucas didn't really go downhill until the '50s when BMC's malignant influence took hold.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

When I bought my Norton Interstate (totaled out. paid $100.00 for it in 82 from a Chief on my shipB|) and built a rigid frame for the engine, the original Lucas electrics went into the garbage can never to be seen again. However, I did replace the original stuff with a Lucas Rita electronic ignition that worked very well for a number of years. Since then I have used a Dyna ignition. This time around I'm looking at a Boyer set up. Long rest the Prince of Darkness:)

"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

A collection of Prince of Darkness jokes
(courtesy of Paul Mossberg, New Jersey Replicar Club)

The Lucas Electric motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness."

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF. The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas makes the refrigerators.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.
Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb.
Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young