airtwardo

New Year Res ~ Gettin' my Shit together!

Finally...B|

I've lived in several different places around the country, when I move I tend to 'travel light' but leave heavy.

When we came to Houston from San Diego 15 years ago our 'moving van' was the Corvette - two suitcase & a rig was it!

Had to stop a Walmart on the way into town to buy a sleeping bag to throw on the floor of the house we'd just bought...:D

~Just got back from closing a storage on the left coast, like a freaking time capsule!

Now just have to hit Colorado & Illinois for things I left there...then figure out where to PUT all this 'shit'.

My poor truck 'Ole Blue' has never had to work so hard ~ pulling that much weight up the hills of west Texas.

~ who knew parachutes, ammo, airshow pictures & playboys could BE so heavy?! lol

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

ryoder

So when were you in CO?:o
And exactly where did you leave your shit?>:(

Have a house in Aurora across from the reservoir - it's a rental, Denver Cop buddy is in there...a room in the basement is full of my 'stuff' ;)

oldwomanc6

Everyone, please note: 'Twardo did not say he was attempting to be a better person, or even a more organized one. "Gettin' my Shit together" is code for merely putting it all in one place.

:D

YUP! :ph34r:

mjosparky

Jim,

I live by the one year rule. If I haven’t used it or looked for it in a year its history.

Sparky

That's a good rule Sparky...one I'm finally starting to use!

I was thinking of you 2 days ago while driving on the 10 out of L.A. to Houston ~ had to get home or would have called ya, stopped & 'killed some Goose' with you.B|

In reality ~ after having to 'clean out' parents & in-laws homes after deaths last year I now look at 'stuff' in a whole new light.

I've accumulated a lot of really cool things over the years and it's hard...but I gotta start letting it go.

I have hundreds of airshow posters from places I performed at, always thought 'someday' I'll get them framed and hung as a memento...Hell I could wallpaper a hangar with 'em.

Skydiving tee-shirts...I have 5 or 6 large plastic bins packed with new never worn 'keepsakes' from boogies & DZ's all over.

Still have every parachute I ever owned...:S

If I happen on a good deal I usually take it...then end up with things like a case (50) of Colt .45 magazines, 20,000 rounds of 5.56 ball.
Heck I forgot I had several old copper 'chemical' fire extinguishers I had polished & clear coated stashed in San Diego.
A collection of 50+ bayonets from as far back as The Civil War... I don't know just how many various types of lighted Beer signs from the 60's & 70's one actually should have in their possession, but I bet I have 5 or 6 times the recommended amount! :ph34r:

Remember the Hat & Tee we got at Kitty Hawk? My hat's in a bin with 100 other hats & the Tee tucked away with all the others...yeah, I'm an episode of Hoarders in the making. :$

~ ~ Cool 'Stuff' that I probably don't really 'need' ;)

Skydiving tee-shirts...I have 5 or 6 large plastic bins packed with new never worn 'keepsakes' from boogies & DZ's all over.

Jimmy T had a box of old t-shirts; he handed them out to friends. I proudly have a t-shirt in neon colors that has a screen print of a RW round on it that has got to be from the '80's. It's totally retro, but every time I wear it I think of Jimmy. B| So, maybe you can do something like that for your friends, I bet it would be appreciated.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

airtwardo

***OK, that post really calls of a review of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

Yup!

Capt. Mom retires in 5...we're talking about sailing the world for a few years after that - I've been told: The 'Stuff' ain't goin' with us! :D

Simple solution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gciFoEbOA8:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

skymama !!
you just put a Big smile on my face....had forgotten about that...:| would NEVER wanna give friends,, "old & previously worn " shirts however.
I tend to keep most of my own, old tees...for sentimental reasons... But maybe a half dozen years ago.. I responded to an ad from a guy in texas ,, I think...... who was "liquidating" a DZ pro shop or something..
I Bought something like 40 "never worn" tee shirts for a hundred and fifty bucks...
Nancy laughed her... "I'm amused,:):S;)Laugh.
when the HUGE box arrived...

When I opened it and looked through it.. I really was pleased with the variety and excellent condition..quite a few multiples and a good variety of sizes
That's when I decided they were too GOOD to Keep. and needed to be shared.
I picked some specific ones, for specific people,,,,and gave those away.....(I like surprising people) and then later on at a Club boogie,, I set up a clothesline and Hung all the rest on coat hangers and put out a coffee can and a sign
" For Sale , Pay what you WANT" !!! :SB|..."no FREEBIES !!! "
" no returns no refunds" ;)
most went for 5 bucks, but I also found a few 10s and even a 20 !!!! in that coffee can...pretty well broke even.
I Still had a few shirts left...
I have a 4 drawer dresser,,,here at the house which is packed FULL with tees and with jumping sweatshirts !!!!
I have been thinking about having a quilt made......but can't bring myself to do it...:S:)
Next time you have a FORMAL event to attend,,,, you can WEAR that colorful shirt...Skydiving Tees Go with Anything!!!!
jmy
a3914
d12122

ryoder

******OK, that post really calls of a review of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

Yup!

Capt. Mom retires in 5...we're talking about sailing the world for a few years after that - I've been told: The 'Stuff' ain't goin' with us! :D

Simple solution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gciFoEbOA8:P

More like a barge!;)

I've done that kind of thing a couple of times. Not with skydiving Tshirts, because I don't really collect them, I wear them until they're dead.

I've never, ever, regretted it. The memories are just as there without the stuff, and I don't have all that stuff to cart around. If it gets used up, well, that's what it's for.

But then I use the napkins that my grandmother embroidered whenever I have company, too. Every time I look at them, I remember her.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

BIGUN

You better start thinkin eBay then, Bro.

Let me know if the bayonets go up for sale.

Yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking...short term is getting everything in one place & inventoried.

I checked out a couple of auction places in the midwest, mainly because it would be easier to move most of the stuff there...but they take a good chunk of whatever the price they get ~ might be a good option for someone short on time or cash, I'm not.

When the time comes I'll definitely let friends have 1st shot...I recently gave an old buddy a heck of a deal on a new in the box L88 short block with heads, a Muncie 'rock crusher' tranny & a '66 GTO tri-power manifold & carbs.

Another buddy finally got my mint condition mid 60's professional grade Polaroid bellows camera for his collection...fair price but more importantly - a friend that will appreciate the 'cool factor' and enjoy it...not some auction bidder lookin' to turn a buck.

2 months ago I 'Traded' a triple digit ser # Winchester model 12 to an old guy I lived next to for 20 years growing up...got a 6 pack of Old Style which we then drank.

He always has admired it for years, telling me to give him first chance when it gets sold...

He's retired and on a tight budget - it's a goose gun and he hunts...it will be used & the look on his face was worth market value any day of the week.B|

Like I said, gonna be hard - but I should have 'downsized' years ago...

airtwardo

...Another buddy finally got my mint condition mid 60's professional grade Polaroid bellows camera for his collection...fair price but more importantly - a friend that will appreciate the 'cool factor' and enjoy it...not some auction bidder lookin' to turn a buck.

2 months ago I 'Traded' a triple digit ser # Winchester model 12 to an old guy I lived next to for 20 years growing up...got a 6 pack of Old Style which we then drank.

He always has admired it for years, telling me to give him first chance when it gets sold...

He's retired and on a tight budget - it's a goose gun and he hunts...it will be used & the look on his face was worth market value any day of the week...

Sounds to me like you got the better end of both of those deals. ;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

airtwardo

~ who knew parachutes, ammo, airshow pictures & playboys could BE so heavy?! lol

Same here as we downsize this year. All the Playboys went in the recycle bin (after zero interest on Craigslist and Ebay).

Pictures? Boxes and boxes. Have many digitized and threw out the prints, but many more to go. Still have VHS home movies of the kids I need to digitize, jeez. :S:D

Parachutes and ammo? The last two things I'll ever throw out. Moving the gun safe was the hardest part of the move, but my buddy Gus made it look like child's play. B|

We really plan to organize and get rid of stuff and quit accumulating (except for a 1911 or two;)). Vskydiver has moved her shop into smaller digs and is trying to clear up material inventory. Sure put a crimp in her jumpsuit biz to get used to the new workspace. I'm planning to sell my cabinet saw and get by with just a ShopSmith. Any woodworkers with some thoughts on that?

airtwardo

He's retired and on a tight budget - it's a goose gun and he hunts...it will be used & the look on his face was worth market value any day of the week.B|

You are even cooler than I thought you were before. That's a righteous thing to do, Twardo.:)
I'd ask about the bayonets but I got what I need. Now, about those beer signs . . . ;)

JohnMitchell

Still have VHS home movies of the kids I need to digitize, jeez. :S:D

Good luck. Right now I'm making the *second* pass at pulling jump videos off of DV tape, and some jumps are inexplicably split into two parts, some are truncated, and a couple balloon jumps are totally missing.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>>>>>>>>>>>2 months ago I 'Traded' a triple digit ser # Winchester model 12 to an old guy I lived next to for 20 years growing up...got a 6 pack of Old Style which we then drank.

This. This right here is what makes me love you, man. Next time I see you... "I'm going to kiss you right on the mouth. I am. Oh yes I am. C'mere, you big lug."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

airtwardo

***Jim,

I live by the one year rule. If I haven’t used it or looked for it in a year its history.

Sparky

That's a good rule Sparky...one I'm finally starting to use!

I was thinking of you 2 days ago while driving on the 10 out of L.A. to Houston ~ had to get home or would have called ya, stopped & 'killed some Goose' with you.B|

In reality ~ after having to 'clean out' parents & in-laws homes after deaths last year I now look at 'stuff' in a whole new light.

I've accumulated a lot of really cool things over the years and it's hard...but I gotta start letting it go.

I have hundreds of airshow posters from places I performed at, always thought 'someday' I'll get them framed and hung as a memento...Hell I could wallpaper a hangar with 'em.

Still have every parachute I ever owned...:S

If I happen on a good deal I usually take it...then end up with things like a case (50) of Colt .45 magazines, 20,000 rounds of 5.56 ball.
Heck I forgot I had several old copper 'chemical' fire extinguishers I had polished & clear coated stashed in San Diego.
A collection of 50+ bayonets from as far back as The Civil War... I don't know just how many various types of lighted Beer signs from the 60's & 70's one actually should have in their possession, but I bet I have 5 or 6 times the recommended amount! :ph34r:

Remember the Hat & Tee we got at Kitty Hawk? My hat's in a bin with 100 other hats & the Tee tucked away with all the others...yeah, I'm an episode of Hoarders in the making. :$

~ ~ Cool 'Stuff' that I probably don't really 'need' ;)

Just about the time I quit jumping I started thinning things out. I had collected enough gear, canopies, containers, pilot chutes and stuff to start up my own ParaGear. I loaded a bunch of it up one Sat. drove down to Perris and started handing it out. A buddy of mine said you can give away all that gear and I told I can do and damn thing I want. I then handed him my first Alti II I bought at Elsinore in 1976. You know the ones without the yellow in them.

I walked around with a grin for weeks after that.

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/AltimasterII.jpg
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

BIGUN

>>>>>>>>>>>2 months ago I 'Traded' a triple digit ser # Winchester model 12 to an old guy I lived next to for 20 years growing up...got a 6 pack of Old Style which we then drank.

This. This right here is what makes me love you, man. Next time I see you... "I'm going to kiss you right on the mouth. I am. Oh yes I am. C'mere, you big lug."

Don't tease me! :$