LuckyMcSwervy

If You Could Summer Anywhere Where Would You Go?

You get to close up your house, lawn gets cut and watered, mail forwarded, nothing could go wrong at home so there's no excuse to keep you there all summer. You've been given May-September off from your job (paid vacation), so you can't use work as an excuse.

All you have to do is pick a town and find a great place to live like a local for a while.

Where are you going?? B|
Always be kinder than you feel.

Boogers

It wouldn't be just one place. I'd be traveling all over, on a big road trip.

This... like those trips Squeak takes every couple of years.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Boogers

It wouldn't be just one place. I'd be traveling all over, on a big road trip.

I'd base myself somewhere (somewhere along the Mediterranean Coast) where I could have a home base and do lots of day/weekend trips.

I've considered a trip like the Squeaks (and others I've known) have done, and I realize it wouldn't fit well with my own personality and travel style.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Oh, I didn't mean to imply I had that exact opportunity. I wish! It was purely hypothetical.

Aw, man...I was so happy for you! :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

The Italian Lakes (Lake Como/Lake Maggiori).

While we're mentally in our "happy place", I'd want a full-time chef, nice wine cellar and Riva Speedboat at the end of my dock.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

All you have to do is pick a town and find a great place to live like a local for a while.

Some people can do that - others can't.

We tried it a few times - rent a condo in Paris or Milan for a month or two...couple weeks later we're in the wind.

Living like a local has it's allure, but if you're not actually living there you don't 'go to work' so once you've seen the sights, done the shopping, tried the restaurants...you're just killin' time.

Remember, when 'the locals' don't have to be anchored 'there' for work or whatever, they're often someplace else on vacation! :D

For an extended period doing what ya want...we tend to 'Do the Squeak' - - Day or three someplace interesting & move on, no set in concrete plans...just whatever the day brings,

These days about the closest to 'doing the local thing' we see - is for example, we have some friends that own a B&B in Rome a block from the Coliseum. They give us 'friend' price for a week or so on a smaller room that we use as a 'base' for that time.

We may not sleep there every night traveling about, but our stuff is safe and it's nice actually 'knowing people' and being able to get around the city fairly well....almost like a local.B|

Last year we spent 6 weeks in Spain...hiked the Camino de Santiago trail. This year is somewhat chaotic with things going on all over the country all year (business interests) But we're hoping to get back to Spain late summer / early fall to hike the last part of the Camino again - this time with Mr. & Mrs. SqueaK! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've spent the last 3 summers living like a local in NH; by now, I am one (it's a family property, but no one has lived there as much as me, ever -- we've always been occasional summer people).

It's kind of nice; in some ways, it's more like home than where I live in Houston. I have some idea of how to live like a local somewhere different now, and do plan to try sometime in the next few years.

In some of those places, you just remember that locals don't really care as much about multitasking to the max as much as we do.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

For the last 10+ years I have volunteered in the national parks and forests. I've lived with buffalo and bears. Watched an eagle take a bath in the Mississippi river. I've picked up trash and cleaned toilets. Told people where to hike, fish, take pics. Taught them how to build fires and not die. Can't beat it. Go to VIP.com and give back to your country.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

jackwallace

For the last 10+ years I have volunteered in the national parks and forests. I've lived with buffalo and bears. Watched an eagle take a bath in the Mississippi river. I've picked up trash and cleaned toilets. Told people where to hike, fish, take pics. Taught them how to build fires and not die. Can't beat it. Go to VIP.com and give back to your country.

Nicely done.

I like to go somewhere and plant myself. I'm a nester pretty much everywhere.

I need the ocean. I mean NEED it. It makes me feel happy and peaceful. I love to scuba dive, fish, kayak, wave runners, just chill on a boat, beach, ocean sunrises, sunsets, biking, walks, good little restaurants, ANYTHING beach related.

For as HMB as I can be with other things, put me in a little place where I can feel comfortable and do everything I love or nothing and just relax, I'm happy as a clam. B|

Oh, and bring my cat. :$

ETA: That's why I love the Florida Keys. :$:$:$

LuckyMcSwervy

I like to go somewhere and plant myself. I'm a nester pretty much everywhere.

I need the ocean. I mean NEED it. It makes me feel happy and peaceful. I love to scuba dive, fish, kayak, wave runners, just chill on a boat, beach, ocean sunrises, sunsets, biking, walks, good little restaurants, ANYTHING beach related.

For as HMB as I can be with other things, put me in a little place where I can feel comfortable and do everything I love or nothing and just relax, I'm happy as a clam. B|

How is the snow skiing in the Keys?
;)

david3

***I like to go somewhere and plant myself. I'm a nester pretty much everywhere.

;)

:P:P:P That's one adjustment issue I see in the future. Luckily, US Air flies from EYW-MIA-PHL. Rental car, 3 hours, BOOM.... Camelback. ;)

LuckyMcSwervy

******I like to go somewhere and plant myself. I'm a nester pretty much everywhere.

;)

:P:P:PThat's one adjustment issue I see in the future. Luckily, US Air flies from EYW-MIA-PHL. Rental car, 3 hours, BOOM.... Camelback. ;)

That and jumping for me. I need my DZ a little closer than the Keys can provide. Every year though the jumping is a little less important and the ocean and sun is a little more important.

david3

*********I like to go somewhere and plant myself. I'm a nester pretty much everywhere.

;)

:P:P:PThat's one adjustment issue I see in the future. Luckily, US Air flies from EYW-MIA-PHL. Rental car, 3 hours, BOOM.... Camelback. ;)

That and jumping for me. I need my DZ a little closer than the Keys can provide. Every year though the jumping is a little less important and the ocean and sun is a little more important.

The closer I get to 50 the more important the ocean and sun and all of the other good things are to me.

Hey, you can always go to Key West and haul meat out of a tiny Cessna at Sugarloaf. :P

I'm pretty happy where I AM... and after struggling through a miserable winter...would be Ok with staying right Here....

However if given a chance to "go anywhere " and it IS summer...
I might think about Scandinavia...
Long hours of daylight.
No scorching temps, BEAUTIFUL topography and majestic sceneries..
Someplace different :)meet new people...
maybe enroll in a BASE course, and Make my "pre-second" BASE jump off a Thousand Meter Exit Point !!!!B|

jmy