LuckyMcSwervy

Honda Owners - Help - What IS This Part?

I've registered twice for a Honda CR-V forum and I'm not getting any email confirmations for my registration. I'm getting impatient and need an answer to a question. >:(

Since you guys all know so much about so many different subjects.... here goes my question: :)
The attached picture... This is some kind of loop/hook under the rear bumper of a Honda CR-V. What exactly is this thing?

I ask because I was thinking about buying a trailer tow hitch and having it installed (got a quote in the $700 range for everything).

I lifted up the spare tire hatch and I don't see anything from the inside that would look like it's sticking out to the outside, such as this loop.

Is this thing a trailer tow hook?

I Googled "Honda CR-V metal loop under rear bumper" and I'm not getting any images that look like the one I've attached.

Anything you can tell me is very much appreciated!! Thank you!! B|B|B|

ETA: When I was at the dealer getting information about having a trailer hitch installed I totally forgot to ask them what's the job of the thing in the picture. B|
Always be kinder than you feel.

No. It's not a hitch for towing trailers.

It's a tie-down point. These could be used for several things like securing a car on top of a flatbed or car carrier. They also get used to tie down cars on dynamometers.

In an EMERGENCY, you could use it to connect something and tow it out of a ditch or something (or likewise you could use it for somebody to pull YOU out of a ditch), but for actual trailers you need a proper hitch.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ahhh!! I found it utilized in a trailer hitch installation video!!

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Honda/CR-V/2007/87440.html?vehicleid=20079903

After watching this video I think I'm just going to attempt it myself.

The wiring harness for the trailer connector electric pack thing doesn't look hard either:

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Honda/CR-V/2007/118427.html?vehicleid=20071172952

I don't have a torque wrench but I have a wrench set something like this: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-11-pc-6-pt-standard-1-4-in/p-00934860000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=00934860000&kispla=00934860000P

I think giving it a shot myself will be worth saving $500 from dealer quote.

B|B|B|

quade

Go buy a torque wrench. They don't have to be expensive.

Follow directions.

Thanks. I just Googled and didn't realize they have a gauge on them. Stupid me. And it's not as expensive as I would've thought: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-electronic-torque-wrench-1-2-in-drive/p-00947712000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

I'm glad I mentioned it. B|

A torque wrench is important. It lets you be sure that the bolts are tight enough to hold properly.

You don't have to get the fancy electronic kind either.

Harbor Freight has them a lot cheaper. Not what a pro would use, but they use them every day. You only need it a few times here and there.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-239.html
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

A torque wrench is important. It lets you be sure that the bolts are tight enough to hold properly.

Harbor Freight has them a lot cheaper. Not what a pro would use, but they use them every day. You only need it a few times here and there.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-239.html

Sweet! Thank you!! I saw Sears had one on sale for $16.99 but I wasn't sure if it would be as good as the more expensive one I posted. I don't know what else I'd use it for but I guess you never know. :)
We have a Sears Hometown Store, a NAPA, Advance Auto and a WalMart in town here so if I need something I can always run over there. I do know I'll need more WD-40 and a wire brush to clean the bolt holes of the road crud build up.

I just gotta time the installation prior to my nail appointment. :P

Hi Lucky,

You should borrow a torque wrench and put that $16.99 towards a jump ticket. A couple of options to borrow one:

1. Advance Auto has a borrow a tool program. They don't have a list of tools that you can borrow on their website but I'm pretty sure they would have a torque wrench you could borrow. Give them a call and ask.

2. Ask around your DZ. If anyone there works on their own vehicle they would probably have a torque wrench they could lend you.

Good luck installing the trailer hitch!

JFish

Hi Lucky,

You should borrow a torque wrench and put that $16.99 towards a jump ticket. A couple of options to borrow one:

1. Advance Auto has a borrow a tool program. They don't have a list of tools that you can borrow on their website but I'm pretty sure they would have a torque wrench you could borrow. Give them a call and ask.

2. Ask around your DZ. If anyone there works on their own vehicle they would probably have a torque wrench they could lend you.

Good luck installing the trailer hitch!

No jumpy for me (see attached picture. It's from the first time I messed up my MCL in 2012 but I'm in the same boat again sporting that sexy device :( ). I can put that $16.99 towards a Nitrox tank rental next month if Advance has the borrow program. They're really nice in there so I'll definitely call or pop in.

I bought a "Hidden Hitch" from them when I bought my last Wrangler.
It just bolted right up, using existing holes.
Piece of cake.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I bought a "Hidden Hitch" from them when I bought my last Wrangler.
It just bolted right up, using existing holes.
Piece of cake.

Sweet!! I'll place my order this week. I'm actually excited about installing it.

Times like this I miss my Dad more. He would've been pissed I didn't tell him I wanted it done and to let him take care of it for me but he would've been secretly proud I did it myself. :)

wolfriverjoe

I bought that wrench a week ago.
I've had a torque wrench with a pointer & scale on it that I've used for years, but it is a PITA always trying to find a position where I can get proper leverage AND keep my head in position to read the scale. Much easier to just apply force until I hear/feel a click. Also nice to have a ratcheting head, (which the old one lacked).
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***A torque wrench is important. It lets you be sure that the bolts are tight enough to hold properly.

I bought that wrench a week ago.
I've had a torque wrench with a pointer & scale on it that I've used for years, but it is a PITA always trying to find a position where I can get proper leverage AND keep my head in position to read the scale. Much easier to just apply force until I hear/feel a click. Also nice to have a ratcheting head, (which the old one lacked).

That sounds so dirty. I'm sure it isn't, but…. :)

:P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

ryoder

+1 for ratcheting torque wrenches that click :)
But only use it for torquing - ie: tighten nuts and bolts first, then use torque wrench at the end. You'll get a lot more life out of them.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Thanks for another good piece of advice!

When I was watching the hitch installation video there was a beep at the end of each bolt tightening. I wasn't sure what that noise was but now I see it was the wrench telling the guy it was set.

Learn something new every day! B|

Had a discussion a day or so ago about how useful YouTube can be for stuff.
Want to know how to do something, practically anything?

There's a YouTube video for it.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1TSNO_enUS478US478&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=youtube%20how%20to%20use%20a%20torque%20wrench
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo