LuckyMcSwervy

Motorcycle People Please Help Me Out :)

Yes, I could try to find a motorcycle forum and ask there but I'd rather ask all of you. :P

If you were looking to purchase a scooter is there a certain brand that's better than the other? I'm talking like a Vespa or Honda scooter, not something that would go super fast over 50 mph or so, that's not needed.

This cc thing I'm not too sure of. I've seen 60cc, 90cc, etc. I'm just looking for something to motor around town instead of using my car.

Thanks!! B|
Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

Yes, I could try to find a motorcycle forum and ask there but I'd rather ask all of you. :P

If you were looking to purchase a scooter is there a certain brand that's better than the other? I'm talking like a Vespa or Honda scooter, not something that would go super fast over 50 mph or so, that's not needed.

This cc thing I'm not too sure of. I've seen 60cc, 90cc, etc. I'm just looking for something to motor around town instead of using my car.

Thanks!! B|

Just for you.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

LuckyMcSwervy

******One day it probably will be just for me. :|

I don't want to make it that far.

+ 1 :|

If I have to be an angry F*****r on a battery powered chair.

Please hire someone to off me.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

LuckyMcSwervy

Thanks!! B|

oh god I hate to be "that guy" on my second post but here I go....... motorcycle people wouldnt know anything about scooters because most of us die hard morcycle riders wouldnt be caught dead on one :D

that said I have seen LOTS of honda ruckus's around austin and know they get amazing gas millage.

BUT are you willing to take the safety loss of a scooter over a motorcycle for the gain of MPG?

as far as 2 vehicle accidents scooters are far more likely to get merged into or hit by a driver not paying attention because you dont have the power to "scoot" out of the way of that guy changing lanes without looking.

a Kawasaki ninja 250 costs as much as a scooter and looks like a speed demon, goes about 120-140 depending whos on it and whats done to it and gets 80+MPG

on the flip side the honda rebel cruiser (think harley or traditional style bike) gets the same gas millage does about 80 or 90 and is a very comfortable ride for a noob rider.

i know you said you dont "need" to go over 50 but when your doing 45 and someones tailgating you and that guy in the 80s honda with no mirror decides to get over you'll wish you that extra umph to getcha out of the way .

dont mean to be a scooter hater just seen, and herd of lots of accidents here in austin due to them not being able to break quickly or accelerate out of the way.

I had to look up the rules for New Jersey, they are slightly different than here in Wisconsin. For you, any "scooter" with an engine smaller than 50cc and limited to 35mph is considered a "Low Speed Motorcycle" (moped) and does not require a motorcycle endorsement on the drivers license. You can't drive them on the tollway, limited access (freeway) or any road posted over 35.

These have become really popular in the last few years. A lot of them are cheap Chinese models. Not too reliable, or durable. The "big" motorcycle brands (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki) offer much better models, but they will cost more. Like with so many other things, you get what you pay for.
The plus side of the popularity is that a lot of people buy them, ride them for a season or two and then get tired of them. So finding a used one is pretty easy. Just make sure you get it checked over by a good mechanic before you buy it.

They are fun on nice days.

Just be really careful. Car drivers won't see you. And if you aren't used to being on two wheels (bike, scooter or motorcycle), you need to get used to being on the defensive all the time.

New Jersey motorcycle rules:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/Motorcycle.htm
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

I had to look up the rules for New Jersey, they are slightly different than here in Wisconsin. For you, any "scooter" with an engine smaller than 50cc and limited to 35mph is considered a "Low Speed Motorcycle" (moped) and does not require a motorcycle endorsement on the drivers license. You can't drive them on the tollway, limited access (freeway) or any road posted over 35.

These have become really popular in the last few years. A lot of them are cheap Chinese models. Not too reliable, or durable. The "big" motorcycle brands (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki) offer much better models, but they will cost more. Like with so many other things, you get what you pay for.
The plus side of the popularity is that a lot of people buy them, ride them for a season or two and then get tired of them. So finding a used one is pretty easy. Just make sure you get it checked over by a good mechanic before you buy it.

They are fun on nice days.

Just be really careful. Car drivers won't see you. And if you aren't used to being on two wheels (bike, scooter or motorcycle), you need to get used to being on the defensive all the time.

New Jersey motorcycle rules:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/Motorcycle.htm

I'm well versed on New Jersey laws but it's not for here. :P

I've owned bikes for 40+ years, but have never been a fan of scooters.........just not enough power to get out of the way if when some cager does something stupid.

Why not look at a 250cc dual-purpose bike instead ? Relatively light-weight, great gas mileage, and response when you twist the throttle. And built to last.

ETA : Ooops.....everyone replied at the same time, with the same advice. At least I'm in good company. :)

Don

"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Since you mentioned scooters and cc's... A 150 cc would get you around nicely.

http://www.propelimports.com/daytona_main.html

Above that and you should consider going into the small motorcycle category like the Honda Rebel 250cc. IMO - Best little bike ever designed. You can find them used for $2-3K and parts are easy to find on eBay.

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/rebel.aspx
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

LuckyMcSwervy

I'm well versed on New Jersey laws but it's not for here. :P

Well, then check the laws for the state you plan on using it in. They vary somewhat from state to state. Wisconsin, for example, limits them to 30mph. Anything bigger will require a motorcycle endorsement on your license.

I agree that a "real" motorcycle would be a better choice, the extra power and speed can be a safety advantage under certain circumstances. But getting the endorsement means either passing the test or taking a certified m/c class.
If you're willing to do that, it will open up a lot more options, even bigger scooters.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

vintxrgr

***Yes, I could try to find a motorcycle forum and ask there but I'd rather ask all of you. :P

Thanks!! B|

oh god I hate to be "that guy" on my second post but here I go....... motorcycle people wouldnt know anything about scooters because most of us die hard morcycle riders wouldnt be caught dead on one :D

that said I have seen LOTS of honda ruckus's around austin and know they get amazing gas millage.

BUT are you willing to take the safety loss of a scooter over a motorcycle for the gain of MPG?

as far as 2 vehicle accidents scooters are far more likely to get merged into or hit by a driver not paying attention because you dont have the power to "scoot" out of the way of that guy changing lanes without looking.

a Kawasaki ninja 250 costs as much as a scooter and looks like a speed demon, goes about 120-140 depending whos on it and whats done to it and gets 80+MPG

on the flip side the honda rebel cruiser (think harley or traditional style bike) gets the same gas millage does about 80 or 90 and is a very comfortable ride for a noob rider.

i know you said you dont "need" to go over 50 but when your doing 45 and someones tailgating you and that guy in the 80s honda with no mirror decides to get over you'll wish you that extra umph to getcha out of the way .

dont mean to be a scooter hater just seen, and herd of lots of accidents here in austin due to them not being able to break quickly or accelerate out of the way.

I never thought you motorcycle people were too good for scooters. :P:P:P

Seriously, thanks for your input. It's just a little island cruiser, nothing I'll ever need to go "fast".

PLFKING

I've owned bikes for 40+ years, but have never been a fan of scooters.........just not enough power to get out of the way if when some cager does something stupid.

Why not look at a 250cc dual-purpose bike instead ? Relatively light-weight, great gas mileage, and response when you twist the throttle. And built to last.

ETA : Ooops.....everyone replied at the same time, with the same advice. At least I'm in good company. :)

Don

:D Thank you. I knew all of you guys would give lots of good advice.

If you're not a current rider........please, please, please take a motorcycle safety course. All states have them, and they are usually inexpensive ($100 give or take). The courses are usually held in community college parking lots or some such venue (not on streets). Many of them furnish the bikes......like the equivalent of Honda 50's or such. Usually courses are held on weekends by instructors that have ridden for many years. A combination of classroom and actual riding is the course. A possible added benefit is that some insurance companies lower your rate after completing a safety course.
Be safe and keep the rubber side down.

BIGUN

Since you mentioned scooters and cc's... A 150 cc would get you around nicely.

http://www.propelimports.com/daytona_main.html

Above that and you should consider going into the small motorcycle category like the Honda Rebel 250cc. IMO - Best little bike ever designed. You can find them used for $2-3K and parts are easy to find on eBay.

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/rebel.aspx

The first link is the style I'm looking for. But in pink.

Honestly, I promised my Dad years ago I'd never get on a motorcycle. Or get a tattoo.

Seriously though, I won't throw my leg over a motorcycle. I wear skirts a lot. It's just not my thing. Plus, you can put your grocery bag on a hook on the scooter floorboard.

Yeah, I'm pointing out the important stuff. :P

I had a scooter over the summer and I don't think I ever went over 25 mph regularly. I think I got it up to 50 on a boulevard just to try it. Stupid but it just isn't built for that kind of speed.

GD64

If you're not a current rider........please, please, please take a motorcycle safety course. All states have them, and they are usually inexpensive ($100 give or take). The courses are usually held in community college parking lots or some such venue (not on streets). Many of them furnish the bikes......like the equivalent of Honda 50's or such. Usually courses are held on weekends by instructors that have ridden for many years. A combination of classroom and actual riding is the course. A possible added benefit is that some insurance companies lower your rate after completing a safety course.
Be safe and keep the rubber side down.

Great suggestion. Thanks!! :)

I've owned bikes and rented scooters. Although I hadn't really thought too much about it, scooters really do lack acceleration and really good brakes. Plus, you're perched on the seat instead of straddling it. No real good way to hang on if things get squirrelly.

As cute as you'd look on that scooter, you'd be twice as bitchin' on that Honda Rebel. Heck, I think I'll go see if Vskydiver would let ME get one. B|

oldwomanc6

Somehow, I just never pictured you on a scooter. A bicycle, yes, a motorcycle, yes.

I never saw you as an in-between type of person.

No wonder no one lets me orchestrate their life. :S

:D:D:D

:D:D Oh yeah, definitely an in-between type when it comes to this. But you give good advice anyway, so that counts. B|

Not the best picture but Sophia enjoyed it. :P

JohnMitchell

I've owned bikes and rented scooters. Although I hadn't really thought too much about it, scooters really do lack acceleration and really good brakes. Plus, you're perched on the seat instead of straddling it. No real good way to hang on if things get squirrelly.

As cute as you'd look on that scooter, you'd be twice as bitchin' on that Honda Rebel. Heck, I think I'll go see if Vskydiver would let ME get one. B|

:D:D:D Asking your wife? Love it!! B|B|B|

LuckyMcSwervy

***Somehow, I just never pictured you on a scooter. A bicycle, yes, a motorcycle, yes.

:D:D Oh yeah, definitely an in-between type when it comes to this. But you give good advice anyway, so that counts. B|

OHHHHH, so cute! :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

By the way, I found a picture I took of the speedometer (for the mileage record) and it only goes up to 45mph so I don't think I ever hit the end of the gauge.

I know I went faster on Roosevelt Boulevard along the sea wall (south side near the airport by Smathers) but I was always looking for bumps and stuff in the road since they're so fickle.

oldwomanc6

******Somehow, I just never pictured you on a scooter. A bicycle, yes, a motorcycle, yes.

OHHHHH, so cute! :)
Thanks. She's on my favorite Cypres towel. I kept that in the seat storage box because you'll burn your ass off if you don't cover that damn thing up!! Black vinyl + blazing sun = OUCH