CanuckInUSA

Sky Jumpers Documentary

One of my local TV stations aired a 90 minute documentary this weekend called "Sky Jumpers" which followed the PD Factory team on a few European mountain expeditions. The video footage of this documentary covered many years (it appears from about 2006 to 2013) and it showed some pretty graphic video footage like Shannon Pilcher's wire strike and nasty crash into the mountain side that followed.

I missed the first couple of minutes of the documentary as I only discovered it was being aired by chance as I channel surfed. So I don't really know what happened in the opening minutes of the documentary. Was there a basic intro "This is swooping, it's not safe, but these guys you are about to watch are some of the most skilled canopy pilots in the world" intro? I don't know. As an ex-competitive swooper of course I enjoyed the documentary. But the documentary covered incident after incident of the many mistakes the team made and it was bizarre because we know these guys are highly skilled canopy pilots, but I am not so sure the WHUFFOs watching such a documentary would understand why jumpers/swoopers take the risks that they do. As I watched the documentary, they are interviewing JT and I am thinking was this produced before JT left us, do the WHUFFOs realize this guy is not with us anymore. But now I see this documentary was just released this summer, so it does deal with JT's death near the end of the show.

Anyway has anyone else seen this? Definitely a good watch for those in the jumping community and of course if Ian Drennan sees this, he can chime in and give us his perspective since he actually lived it as one of the PD Factory team members outlined in the documentary.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Full video here: http://www.history.ca/sky-jumpers/video/full-episodes/sky-jumpers/video.html?v=312445507755#sky-jumpers/video/full-episodes

BUT, if you are not in Canada, you will need to go through an anonymous proxy located in Canada.

ETA: This one seems to work: 66.209.190.120:7808
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Full video here: http://www.history.ca/sky-jumpers/video/full-episodes/sky-jumpers/video.html?v=312445507755#sky-jumpers/video/full-episodes

BUT, if you are not in Canada, you will need to go through an anonymous proxy located in Canada.

Oh cool ... thanks for posting this URl. Now I've seen the intro and yes they did a good job introducing the sport. Of course my comments about whether or not the WHUFFOs understand why jumpers/swoopers take these risks remain and of course the WHUFFOs will never get it.

Anyway I hope y'all get a chance to watch the documentary. Definitely a must see for those in the jumping community and I will be passing this URL on to some Canuckleheads (friends and family) now.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

CanuckInUSA

***Full video here: http://www.history.ca/sky-jumpers/video/full-episodes/sky-jumpers/video.html?v=312445507755#sky-jumpers/video/full-episodes

Oh cool ... thanks for posting this URl. Now I've seen the intro and yes they did a good job introducing the sport. Of course my comments about whether or not the WHUFFOs understand why jumpers/swoopers take these risks remain and of course the WHUFFOs will never get it.

Anyway I hope y'all get a chance to watch the documentary. Definitely a must see for those in the jumping community and I will be passing this URL on to some Canuckleheads (friends and family) now.

What difference does it make if they understand it or not?
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

It is an HTTP proxy. You use it like any other HTTP proxy. How you configure it depends on what OS you are using, and what browser. On a Mac I can put it in the OS system settings if the browser is configured to use the system settings. Or I could configure the browsers proxy setting manually.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Please excuse my low level of knowledge on pc's.

My op sys is windows home premium and using firefox, I went up top to "tools", then to "options", then to "advanced", then to "network", then to "connection settings"

Now the question - What happens when I enter the url given into the settings window that opens?

I hare to act like I need my hand held but I do since I am quite concerned about really messing the internals of my pc up badly.

Any help greatly appreciated !

wan2doit

Please excuse my low level of knowledge on pc's.

My op sys is windows home premium and using firefox, I went up top to "tools", then to "options", then to "advanced", then to "network", then to "connection settings"

Now the question - What happens when I enter the url given into the settings window that opens?

I hare to act like I need my hand held but I do since I am quite concerned about really messing the internals of my pc up badly.

Any help greatly appreciated !

As long as you have that proxy set in those settings, all of your browsing traffic(from firefox) will be routed through that proxy server.

So once you're done watching that doc just remove the proxy settings and everything will be back to way it was.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

jumpwally

Why did they set it up that way ? what is the point ? I thought the idea is to get viewers easily....:|

Possibly it had to do with legal rights to the video and audio material. Often, those rights must be negotiated on a per-country basis.