masterrig

Tom & Jerry?

Not really. The "mammy" character is pretty bad.

Typical characterization for the time they were made, but still pretty bad.

I would expect "Amos & Andy" would receive the same warning.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

We have 2 sets of DVDs of the Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection. Most of them old cartoons from the 50's or thereabouts. Man, many of them would raise hell from the politically correct crowd if produced today. Good stuff. :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

oldwomanc6

Agreed, but in this case they're not censoring (censoring would be to leave that particular short out of the full collection, or at least the scenes with the maid), they're just alerting so people can choose not to watch it, or watch it with an eye to the stereotypes and (potentially) make them a learning opportunity. I think that's the same as the idea (which I support) that you keep Huck Finn as it was written, but use the language as a talking point / teaching point to discuss race, racism, how we've changed as a society, how we haven't, etc.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The one that got me wondering was Popeye. The way he treated Olive Oyl. Damn! The thing is, we know the difference, now. Times have changed and so has our thinking. Hopefully for the good. Did we think about the 'mammy' when we were kids watching those cartoons? I doubt it. We didn't look deep into anything in those cartoons. That was left for when we got older. I still, like the Looney Tunes cartoons. :D

Chuck

Chuck

masterrig

We didn't look deep into anything in those cartoons. That was left for when we got older. I still, like the Looney Tunes cartoons. :D

Chuck

Chuck

Damn skippy! Screw what anybody else says. Looney Tunes were the greatest. 3 hours of that shit every Saturday morning on TV, and 3 hours of The Three Stooges every Sunday morning too. Those were the good old days. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

*** We didn't look deep into anything in those cartoons. That was left for when we got older. I still, like the Looney Tunes cartoons. :D

Chuck

Damn skippy! Screw what anybody else says. Looney Tunes were the greatest. 3 hours of that shit every Saturday morning on TV, and 3 hours of The Three Stooges every Sunday morning too. Those were the good old days. B|

You bet they were! People laughed at stuff that we wouldn't dare laugh at today. Everybody today is so damned sensitive, you can't gig anyone any more. You have to be so careful you don't step on anyone's toes. Those old cartoons weren't taken seriously. Folks laughed at them and forgot about them. Folks can say what they want but maybe those WERE the good ol' days.

Chuck

Krip

Hi

I assume this means that the "mamma" from the pancake mix box, and the maple syrup bottles isn't being used anymore.:|

I'll check, but I believe the Aunt Jemima brand is still alive and well.

BillyVance

***Hi

I assume this means that the "mamma" from the pancake mix box, and the maple syrup bottles isn't being used anymore.:|

I'll check, but I believe the Aunt Jemima brand is still alive and well.

http://www.auntjemima.com/aj_products/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It appears there's been several versions over the years... like this one, on the left...

And interestingly enough, when I started typing "Aunt Jemima..." into google, some suggestions cropped up, including "Aunt Jemima racist"...

Whoa! :o:S

https://www.google.com/search?q=aunt+jemima+pancake+mix&client=firefox-a&hs=SN8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&imgil=O91X2jbxTI8XeM%253A%253BMKwdc56DIDiSZM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fmdherbivore.wordpress.com%25252F2011%25252F07%25252F25%25252Faunt-jemima-pancake-mix%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=O91X2jbxTI8XeM%253A%252CMKwdc56DIDiSZM%252C_&usg=__7YbWX9PyvEL74IGCj9cVOwI19UQ%3D&biw=1426&bih=737&ved=0CEsQyjc&ei=JdsuVIyMNNa3yATm24DIAg#rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&q=aunt+jemima+racist&imgdii=_

BillyVance

We have 2 sets of DVDs of the Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection. Most of them old cartoons from the 50's or thereabouts. Man, many of them would raise hell from the politically correct crowd if produced today. Good stuff. :D

I have a full set of Looney Toons DVDs. And in the intro there is Whoopi Goldberg, pointing out the racial stereotypes. What I liked was she pointed out that while the racism is wrong today and was wrong then, to simply edit those parts out is a disservice to history.

I had zero objection to it. I actually thought it was well-handled. This stuff is here but we are leaving it there and here's why.

I agree that the cartoons were racist, violent, etc. Doesn't mean that they aren't funny or even enlightening. (It's not like they spared white guys. The depiction of hillbillies, southerners in general... Elmer Fudd wasn't viewed as particularly bright...)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I grew-up with Aunt Jemima. She represented a good and wholesome product and someone who 'cared'. What better for breakfast than Aunt Jemima pancakes and bacon or sausage? Then, one day we woke-up to the idea that we were supporting racism and we were racist for eating her pancakes! How screwed-up is that? Remember the shit-storm over the 'Frito Bandito'?

Chuck

lawrocket

***We have 2 sets of DVDs of the Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection. Most of them old cartoons from the 50's or thereabouts. Man, many of them would raise hell from the politically correct crowd if produced today. Good stuff. :D

I have a full set of Looney Toons DVDs. And in the intro there is Whoopi Goldberg, pointing out the racial stereotypes. What I liked was she pointed out that while the racism is wrong today and was wrong then, to simply edit those parts out is a disservice to history.

I had zero objection to it. I actually thought it was well-handled. This stuff is here but we are leaving it there and here's why.

I agree that the cartoons were racist, violent, etc. Doesn't mean that they aren't funny or even enlightening. (It's not like they spared white guys. The depiction of hillbillies, southerners in general... Elmer Fudd wasn't viewed as particularly bright...)

Cartoons of the 40's and 50's, picked on everybody... farmers, truck drivers, pilots, doctors and yes, even lawyers! :o We laughed at ourselves and there was no back-lash. There was an equality to the cartoons, no one was safe from being 'jabbed' or poked fun at. During those years, folks helped their neighbor... even if they were of a different race or religion. I'm not saying there wasn't racism because there certainly was. Just like there is still racism and prejudice. I don't believe there will ever be an end to it. I wonder too if by trying to stamp it out, we are inadvertently promoting racism, bigotry and prejudice. As long as there will be people, these things will be with us. I'll say it again... maybe, we just need to get over ourselves and lighten-up.

Chuck

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/20-bizarre-vintage-ads?utm_source=FBTraffic&utm_medium=fijifrost&utm_campaign=CMfacebook#1

Try these ones.

I noticed while watching Midway that all references to the Japs had been deleted. It might not be PC now but it is how it was then. Don't try to change history...learn from it.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/20-bizarre-vintage-ads?utm_source=FBTraffic&utm_medium=fijifrost&utm_campaign=CMfacebook#1

Try these ones.

I noticed while watching Midway that all references to the Japs had been deleted. It might not be PC now but it is how it was then. Don't try to change history...learn from it.

Thanks I needed that.:D:D
One Jump Wonder