alanab

sabre2 VS spectre

ok so besides the spectre 170 being 7 cells. what are the similarities/ differences between the 2 canopies? pros/cons? i fly a spectre 170 and am downsizing to a 150. im pretty set on getting a sabre 2 150 and want to know what to expect from the new and miss from the old. please help!! thanks!!!

You may miss the sweet soft on heading openings of the spectre. The S2 opens nicely also, but its no spectre. You will like the glide rate of the S2 and the dive you can pull off. I jump a spectrenow but have put a few on the S2 as well. Great canopy I have to say. You may want to look at the Pilot and Safire2 also.
Oz

Used to jump a Triathlon 160 and switched to a Hornet 150 about 6 jumps ago, which would be similar from going from a Spectre to a Sabre 2.

My Hornet doesn't sink as quickly which has been causing me to adjust how I plan my landings. My first couple landings I really overshot my target. On the plus, it feels like the Hornet doesn't lose as much altitude during a non-aggresive turn. On my Tri I'd always be shy about turning below certain altitudes because I could drop very fast, but I don't feel that as much with the Hornet.

I think the Hornet is also more sensative to turbulance. On the Tri I'd hear people complain about bad turbulance on a particular landing, but I'd never really notice it myself. I feel it a lot more under the Hornet.

The landings on the Hornet I'm still figuring out. It's just different, but I can't explain how.

Oh, and when I'm doing hard turns up at altitude, the Hornet will crank out some kick ass radical turns. Or at least "radical" to someone who's been flying a 7 cell boat for the last 150 jumps :)

I put 100 on a Spectre @ 1.3 and have about 60 on a Sabre 2 @ 1.3. The Spectre sniveled forever. The Sabre 2 can open fast if you do nothing to it or just as softly. I've only had a hard opening (not painful but noticeable) once at WFFC. The Spectre likes to sink. The Sabre 2 glides farther and it's more responsive. I spun up a Spectre and it flew straight. I had a toggle come loose on the Sabre 2 and it turned a lot faster than the Spectre. The Sabre 2 also has more flare power.

Demo a Sabre 2.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I demoed a spectre and sabre2 before deciding what to buy. Things I noticed... Spectre openings, which of course you already know all about, can be looong. I was switching from an F-111 canopy which did not snivel at all, so the openings were pretty shocking to me. The sabre2 opens a little more quickly, but still soft. On heading is a different story...

What finally sold me on the sabre2 was the landings. Tons more flare power than the spectre. I got ok landings with the spectre, but in 17 jumps I never quite got the flare timing just right. With the sabre2, I find that it's not very important to get the timing perfect. I can flare high and just keeeeep flaring till my feet touch down nice and soft with almost no forward speed, or I can flare a little lower and quicker, and even pick my feet up if I have to. Then just continue the flare normally. I'm definitely not a swooper so I couldn't tell you any differences there.

Now, I don't know if my canopy is out of trim or what the deal might be, but I can't remember the last on heading opening I had. The canopy snivels perfectly straight. And just as I'm saying to myself "ahhh finally an on heading opening," it jerks to one side. Anywhere from a 90 degree turn to almost 360. It doesn't bother me much because I know its coming now. But I don't know how to prevent it. Yesterday I grabbed my rear risers on opening, and as I felt it turn to the right, I yanked on the left riser.... still did a 270 to the right. But it rarely has linetwists, and when it does, it flies straight.

Speaking of linetwists, I managed to put myself into linetwists at about 1300 feet yesterday doing a pretty hard toggle turn. Never managed to do that before. Scared the crap outta me... had the twists out by about 700 feet. Luckily it flew pretty straight or I woulda been testing my skyhook. :P

Demo a sabre2. See if you like it.

Dave

I have a Sabre2 150 in one rig and a Spectre 150 in the other. Just to reiterate what others have said, the Spectre openings are much more likely to be on heading. Body position throughout opening is much more important on a Sabre2. However, the Sabre2 opens nice and soft too. The approach angle on the Spectre is much steeper than a Sabre2. It flies much flatter. The amount of lift a Sabre2 generates is what I really love about the Sabre2. It seems to flare forever. The Sabre2 is also more responsive on toggles. The riser pressure is lighter on the Spectre. Just some of my observations. I like them both, but if I had to make a decisision it would be the Sabre2. Hope that helps.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

>You may miss the sweet soft on heading openings of the spectre.
>The S2 opens nicely also, but its no spectre. You will like the glide
> rate of the S2 and the dive you can pull off.

A Pilot can give you both. Its openings are excellent. It doesn't snivel as long as the Spectre (which I think is a plus) and doesn't care much about body position - I use a Pilot 150 for my wingsuit rig, and haven't had an off-heading opening yet (except for one opening where a toggle fired, but that was still not much of an issue.) It lands a lot like a Sabre 2.

A Pilot can give you both. Its openings are excellent. It doesn't snivel as long as the Spectre (which I think is a plus) and doesn't care much about body position - It lands a lot like a Sabre 2.

I beg to differ. My Pilot snivels so long I have to undo everything I used to do to my Sabre2. My slider is HUGE though - much bigger than the one on my Sabre 2 150. I'm jumping a Pilot 124. I like the landings much better too - I feel like I have more range in my flare but that could be due to the brake settings. So, maybe I don't disagree with you.;)

I do agree on the body position thing. I couldn't twist my pilot if I wanted to.

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here