alanab

whats the difference with altis?

I have (had) an Alti-3 Galaxy and it works like a champ. Tough as hell, made it through 1000 jumps with me and another 150 on my fiance's hand and its still working well.

For digital altis there really is no comparison to the Neptune, although its not as tough as my old Alti-3, I really like the features and how it reads.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i am looking into buying a new altimeter. i wanted to know the difference between alti 1,2,3 and the rest. any recommendations? im wanting a wrist mount alti, so let me know what you all think!

I can recomend a Freefall Accessories altimeter. They are outstanding and are every bit comparable to the better known names out there. They also have some cool benifits to them including being lighter then the Alti 3 and the option for a custom face plate. Just throwing it out there as I have owned both but now jump my custom FFA altimeter and am nothing but happy with it!

If you going to look and compare contact them or look at the site. Altimaster is aq great company and has a nice product but I cant say anything bad in my experience with FFA....

http://www.freefallaccessories.com/

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

While I'm not sure I'd recommend one (it's awfully big for most hands), I've had the same alti-2 for almost 30 years and almost 1400 jumps. One lost lens, and a VERY attractive hand-painted Mickey Mouse on the face :P. I wear it on my chest strap; others can look at it while they wait for their audibles to go off. Yeah, that's it :)
They can make durable altimeters.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

While I'm not sure I'd recommend one (it's awfully big for most hands), I've had the same alti-2 for almost 30 years and almost 1400 jumps. One lost lens, and a VERY attractive hand-painted Mickey Mouse on the face :P. I wear it on my chest strap; others can look at it while they wait for their audibles to go off. Yeah, that's it :)
They can make durable altimeters.

Wendy W.

If you've had your current altimeter for 30 years, chances are you've got an SSE altimeter. :):)
;)

Yves.

I don't think I have ever seen an Alti. one. Am not sure if there was one. But like Wendy said, I bought an Alti. II at Elsinore in 1977 and I still jump it today. Sometime in the mid 80's I dropped it and it went to sleep. Sent it in to SSE and it came back, no charge, ready to go.
I also have an Alti. III and it has never given me a problem.

The regular altimiters will sometimes break if you take them above 23/24,000 feet.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

It sounds like you're leaning towards an Altimaster II or a Galaxy (Altimaster III) rather than a Digitude, a Robnik Sapphire, an FT-50, or a Neptune, for example. If you are looking at used gear, I would stay away from the Altimaster V, but any II or III (or Galaxy) would be a good candidate. The differences are pretty obvious (size, weight, shape, color).

Are you sure you want a wrist mount and not a hand mount?