steve1

Who can sew on new booties?

I bought a new jump suit, but it feels way different than my old one. My old one has a lot of extra material in the arm pit area and it just flies different. My old suit works great for getting me back up when I go low. The only problem is that it is about ragged out. I think if I had some knew booties sewn on I could get a couple more years out of it. What would be a good place to send it to, to get this done? Thanks for your help.....Steve1

Just about anyone can sew on new booties, UNLESS we're talking about a jumpsuit that would be for emergency use only (i.e. a reserve jumpsuit or a pilot's jumpsuit). If so, this jumpsuit would have to be covered by a TSO, and the repair would have to be completed by a certificated master rigger (this would definitely be considered a major repair). If, in the process of the repair, you wanted to make any design changes to the booties, you would first need approval from the manufacturer, who may want to perform test drops on the new jumpsuit design before providing approval... ... ...

B|Damn guys, I am so sorry. I try SO hard to keep myself from making BS PW posts to this forum 'cuz I'm a rigger myself and learn bunches of good stuff here, but I just could NOT resist...:$

Elvisio "off to do my penance" Rodriguez

Anybody that sews can do the job, so you could take it to a local seamstress, along with a sample of your favorite bootie design so she understands your preferences. You would, however, get better quality from a skydiving rigger who is familiar with jumpsuits, and likes working with different kinds of booties.

Beyond that, you would probably get the best quality from the original manufacturer of the jumpsuit. Most jumpsuit manufacturers have at least a few people working for them that know a lot about the ins and outs of bootie design, and are always happy to deal with their customers booties.

So, if you want fast local service, give the suit to a local rigger. If you want the best quality, send it back to the manufacturer.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

[and likes working with different kinds of booties.

No self respecting rigger I know "likes" working on booties. Booties are usually nasty smelling huge waists of time resulting in the person doing the repair never getting paid what his or her time is actually worth. Every one wants the 5$ repair when to do a really good job will usually take an hour or more.
$5 bucks an hour...shit! I'd do better then that working at McDonalds

No self respecting rigger I know "likes" working on booties. Booties are usually nasty smelling huge wastes of time resulting in the person doing the repair never getting paid what his or her time is actually worth. Every one wants the 5$ repair when to do a really good job will usually take an hour or more.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Kevin,

I agree with you.
Why do skydivers automatically assume that riggers know how to repair jumpsuits?
Did I sleep through that lecture in riggers' school?

I am pressuring PIA to host a seminar on jumpsuit repairs at the 2005 Symposium, hosted by a major manufacturer of jumpsuits. Too bad I am too clueless to teach it.
Hee!
Hee!

No self respecting rigger I know "likes" working on booties. Booties are usually nasty smelling huge waists of time resulting in the person doing the repair never getting paid what his or her time is actually worth. Every one wants the 5$ repair when to do a really good job will usually take an hour or more.

Filthy disgusting things.

Mick.

You would, however, get better quality from a skydiving rigger who is familiar with jumpsuits, and likes working with different kinds of booties.

Sorry it was a play on the word "bootie." I figured most people would get the joke when I wrote the following...

Most jumpsuit manufacturers have at least a few people working for them that know a lot about the ins and outs of bootie design, and are always happy to deal with their customers booties.

I guess the joke didn't come through.

Riggers generally do NOT like doing silly little jumpsuit projects, nor do they enjoy fixing a rip in your pants, or sewing buttons. But "bootie," hummm, I figured at least a few riggers would enjoy that.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Why do skydivers automatically assume that riggers know how to repair jumpsuits?

I never thought about it before. Since i've been quite the little seamstress long before i became a rigger, i can easily do jumpsuit repairs. And i don't mind doing them at all. I mainly just replace zippers, add a patch here and there. For me it's easy work. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I agree, riggers work on A/C egress systems and other such life saving stuff. Jumpsuits are a pain in the ass. I can build a 26' Tri-Con in the time it takes to repair a jumpsuit.
:P:S
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Because they own a sewing machine?
:P

(I could do it, if I only found out how to not break the needle and the thread and get them
fr>:([:/]:S>:([:/]:Sng stitches evenly!!!)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I agree, riggers work on A/C egress systems and other such life saving stuff. Jumpsuits are a pain in the ass. I can build a 26' Tri-Con in the time it takes to repair a jumpsuit.
:P:S
Sparky

OK which one of you nice riggers will do repairs on wingsuits?:). Becuase the people that specialize in jumpsuit repair don't want to touch them.

It takes me the same time to take a $10,000 order and a $100 order. Big deal. If you expect to keep your customer, don't whine about doing the small work.

Better to make $5/hr. than $0/hr.

And if you are so backed up that you have no time for it, well then thats great. It's time to find an apprentice and give him/her all the stinky booties to sew.

-abbie
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

It takes me the same time to take a $10,000 order and a $100 order. Big deal. If you expect to keep your customer, don't whine about doing the small work.

Better to make $5/hr. than $0/hr.

And if you are so backed up that you have no time for it, well then thats great. It's time to find an apprentice and give him/her all the stinky booties to sew.

-abbie

Large difference between "taking an order" and making repairs/alterations to a jump suit. Thats why some people are riggers and some people are jumpsuit manufactures, I don't work on jumpsuits and they don't work on parachutes/harness/containers.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Large difference between "taking an order" and making repairs/alterations to a jump suit. Thats why some people are riggers and some people are jumpsuit manufactures, I don't work on jumpsuits and they don't work on parachutes/harness/containers.

The only reason i do jumpsuit repairs is because for me it's way easy work. I know lotsa riggers that won't do them because their sewing skills aren't that good. Big difference sewing a jumpsuit than a harness. I will always be happy being a senior rigger cause i don't wanna go near sewing harnesses. You master riggers amaze me. I'll always look up to ya'll but just have no desire to become anything more than a senior rigger. Works out good that everyone has different specialties. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

OK which one of you nice riggers will do repairs on wingsuits?:). Because the people that specialize in jumpsuit repair don't want to touch them.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ask me again this afternoon, after I have patched the ass/tail wing on Smiley's Birdman Classic 1.
My gut feeling is that you have to understand both jumpsuit repairs and canopy repairs before tackling wingsuit repairs.