Amazon

Spring is coming... And Lyme disease has become wierder

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/mayonii.html

Have fun in the woods kiddies when the snow back there in the east melts.. but learn how to avoid the ticks.

scroll down to Blacklegged Ticks

In 2013, scientists at the Mayo Clinic noticed an unusual result while testing blood from patients suspected of having Lyme disease. Cooperation between Mayo Clinic, state public health agencies, and CDC confirmed the discovery as a new bacterial species, also found in blacklegged ticks. Joint efforts between these groups are currently underway to find more patients infected with this bacteria, to look for additional areas where infected ticks live, and to identify other bacteria that cause tickborne disease

JohnnyMarko

shivers

Reminds me of the time I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Was that the time you stopped posting for 3 months?:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Amazon

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/mayonii.html

Have fun in the woods kiddies when the snow back there in the east melts.. but learn how to avoid the ticks.

In 2013, scientists at the Mayo Clinic noticed an unusual result while testing blood from patients suspected of having Lyme disease. Cooperation between Mayo Clinic, state public health agencies, and CDC confirmed the discovery as a new bacterial species, also found in blacklegged ticks. Joint efforts between these groups are currently underway to find more patients infected with this bacteria, to look for additional areas where infected ticks live, and to identify other bacteria that cause tickborne disease

Amazing. That tick knows exactly where the border is.

SkyDekker

***http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/mayonii.html

Amazing. That tick knows exactly where the border is.

Well it is a CDC map... and I am thinkin that is not the Canukistani Disease Control website so they stop it at that long ass border keepin you good Commonwealth types at bay.:ph34r:

Amazon

***Wait - you mean they immigrated to Virginia?:o

Wrong Commonwealth ... his is the one with cousin Liz sittin at the head of theirs.

I like cousin It better - much more loquacious.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Let me just tell you all that this is a horrible disease. I don't feel like going into detail right now but I'll go find something I wrote before and post it here later. The symptoms are broad and can be completely debilitating. I believe I contracted it back in the mid 2000s. It took me until mid 2015 to convince myself to get tested and seek treatment. My test was negative, not uncommon, but I was given a first round of doxycycline in October of 2015. My condition has improved somewhat and many of my symptoms have subsided. I don't believe I am totally cured yet.

The maps are worthless. Because the tests used to test for Lyme are so worthless, they truly have no idea how many people have it or how wide spread it actually is. Our healthcare system treats symptoms. When the doctors come up against something like Lyme they will make no effort to actually find out what you have. They will load you up with drugs and send you on your way.

If you are bitten by a tick I encourage you to keep the tick in something. Keep an eye on the bite site for any irritation and specifically a rash that looks like a bulls eye. You will not always get this. Pay attention to how you feel the first week or two after a bite. If you start feeling achy or flu like, go to the doctor. If Lyme is caught within the first week or so it is easy to cure.

One last thing. It is most commonly spread by dear ticks. These are the really small ones. Sometimes smaller that a dot from an ink pen. They usually need to be on you a day or so in order to infect you. Usually, by the time you have found them thay have been on you that long.