billvon

Hard-housing material for risers

I thought that the pastic housings were frowned upon and the industry accepted standard was the metal housings (which can be fitted to older risers as well).

If I remember correctly, Bill Booth touched on this topic a while back...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

> Did you get/see a close call thats prompting this?

Nope. But none of my risers (or Amy's) have hard housings, and now that my main parachute is a little smaller, seems like a good idea. Actually I take that back - my Pilot 117 is on new Aerodyne risers with good housings. I have an assortment of risers I've collected over the years, including a few unused but old-design risers without hard housings. Seems like a good idea to add hard housings to them before replacing my worn risers with them.

Plastic housings are frowned on by those that think the metal housings are good. They work for cutaway handles so why not continue them on the risers. (I agree).

Plastic housing suporters believe that they are better because they don't take a set if crushed (like in the trunk of a car) and thus prevent or restrict a cutaway. (I think you ought not close your risers in a trunk lid myself)

For some of the nicest inserts and risers check out VSE's (Infinity) risers. They are designed so that having the housing slip down and accidentily lock the loop in place is just about impossible. Plus he's a hell of a nice guy.
:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It depends on who's doing the frowning

Ah, that makes sense, should have realized that before I asked my question.:)
Thanks guys! (damnit I love learning cool stuff from cool folks on this site, it never endsB|B|).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Did you get/see a close call thats prompting this?

I see that billvon didn't. However, i can tell you that i was DAMN glad i had them in my risers on my last cutaway. Twisted up down past the toggles and i was still able to cutaway relatively easily. I hate to think how hard that would have been under those circumstances without them.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Before the world realized that the cables were being pinched, I had line twists with a toggle unstowed that pinned my head forward. It took both hands and all my strength to cutaway. It actually strained some muscles.

I'm glad you didn't have to think about how hard it would have been to cutaway because for the many extra seconds it took me, I thought it might be the end. That's a feeling most people would like to avoid as much as possible.

Riser inserts are good!

> Did you follow the pattened BillVon downsizing checklist before downsizing?

Good question, actually. Yes, I've done everything on that list (some by necessity, some intentionally) on my Safire 119; I then downsized to a Crossfire 109. I didn't like it much so I'm switching to a Nitro 108. I've demoed a Xaos-21 98 and I really liked it, but I'm going to put some time in on the Nitro first. And by the time I've gotten pretty good at flying that, I may decide I don't want to downsize anyway; it may give me all the performance I want.

Damn, for that price you can send your risers in to me at VSE, and we'll put our convertion on for you.

What is this conversion of which you speak?

I reckon they rip the grommet out of each riser, stitch a tube of webbing onto the back of each rear riser, stick one of their wicked hard-housing cutaway cable end holder up in the webbing tube, and put a new grommet through the old riser hole and the new hard-housing cutaway cable end holder's mouth connector.

Hello Everyone,

I know this thread is terribly old but I was looking at some old posts today about Javelins and read alot about hard housings. My rig has hard housing for the cutaway cable, but in the risers, it's just got a piece of meterial that creates a stow for the excess cutaway cable.

From what i've been reading, you can get a plastic or metal tube to put in there to prevent them from being held in severe twists.

Am I completely misunderstanding this possibly? I understand that if my risers were twisted beyond belief, it could "pinch" the cutaway cabe in their stow in the risers.

I can get pictures if anyone wants, but is this something I should look into or is this something that doesn't matter.

The rig is a Javelin Odyssey, manufactured in 2002.

If you want anymore details, please ask.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Hello Everyone,

I know this thread is terribly old but I was looking at some old posts today about Javelins and read alot about hard housings. My rig has hard housing for the cutaway cable, but in the risers, it's just got a piece of meterial that creates a stow for the excess cutaway cable.

From what i've been reading, you can get a plastic or metal tube to put in there to prevent them from being held in severe twists.

Am I completely misunderstanding this possibly? I understand that if my risers were twisted beyond belief, it could "pinch" the cutaway cabe in their stow in the risers.

I can get pictures if anyone wants, but is this something I should look into or is this something that doesn't matter.

The rig is a Javelin Odyssey, manufactured in 2002.

If you want anymore details, please ask.

What you mentioned, has happened. Personally, I prefer the Stainless-Steel inserts offered by Relative Workshop for the channels on the risers. When you have extremely small mains and higher wing-loading along with severe line-riser twists, the release cables can get 'bound' in the riser channels to where a clean release is impossible. The inserts are worth looking into.

Chuck