NoShitThereIWas

Requesting opinions of all riggers: How do you feel about doing a repack on a Wings container?

So I came into contact with a Wings container in Rantoul that I fell in love with. I hesitated to buy it because it required me to downsize 30 square feet on my Reserve.

I test jumped some PD canopies which were in that square footage range, felt good to go, went back to buy the container and they had packed up and left.

I had a conversation with another rigger who said they are "very difficult" (to put it politely) to repack. The container would hold a 113 PD Reserve and up to a 135 main although I am thinking about downsizing my main to a 120.

My reason for posting this is because I respect the opinion of the one rigger I was talking with a lot and I wanted to know if these containers pose a problem to other riggers (especially newbies) and if not, if there are any tricks you can spare? If you do have experience packing Wings, has it been a nightmare for you or is there something out of the ordinary about them which makes them more difficult to pack? Since I am a fairly new rigger who will be the one repacking it, and don't have much experience, if any, packing Wings containers, your feedback is much appreciated.

Blue skies.

I too had some problems getting Wings to look good at first. I'm still a very new rigger, but the school I work at has Wings rigs for student gear, and I own a Wings myself, so I've gotten a bit of practice, and found some techniques that work for me. The biggest trouble I have packing mine anymore is that the reserve container is a couple of sizes too big for my reserve.

There are some tricks that I use to get it (and it is so easy now.) I'm not very good at explaining things, so I'll try to score a digital camera and take some pictures sometime in the next week.

--
Hook high, flare on time

I don't find them any more or less difficult to pack than any other container as a general rule. Yes there are containers that I can pack faster but that is because I pack a lot of them. At one time or another I have heard complaints about most containers. I always advise riggers to contact the factories and learn the "tricks" that make it easy. So give them a call and I am sure they will be happy to help you as they have a good reputation for their customer service.

Stay safe,
Mike

The Wings container, can be 'tricky' to pack. It took me a while to really learn but, like you, I asked around of different Riggers and got a lot of real good help. The big thing is getting the 'ears' really filled and watching loop length. Also, getting and maintaining a good 'hollow' between the ears for the pilot chute and keeping more of the pilot chute material towards the top of the pilot chute, yet keeping material between the spring coils as per the mfgr's instructions. You'll get it. At least, it's not 'one of those damned Racers':D! That's another topic. If and when you get your Wings, you'll have plenty of practice right there! Just don't let it intimidate you. A man made it... you, can pack it! ;) Good luck to you!

Chuck

The big thing is getting the 'ears' really filled and watching loop length. Also, getting and maintaining a good 'hollow' between the ears for the pilot chute and keeping more of the pilot chute material towards the top of the pilot chute, yet keeping material between the spring coils as per the mfgr's instructions.

What he said. The first 2 Wings I repacked were not very good looking. I didn't know the 'tricks.' The 3rd and since have been grand, thanks to these simple tips.

I personally own two Wings. No problems at all packing them. Easier than a Javelin.;)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I have only packed a dozen Wings - over the last 5 years.

What is the fuss?
You read the manual.
You pack the reserve.
What is the fuss?

I will admit that the newer Wings are more difficult to make look pretty because Henry has decided that they look prettier with tighter side flaps. Henry has decided that reserve pilotchutes that sink below the side flaps (ala Javelin) are not as pretty.
Who cares if that configuration is pretty? It is a familiar technique and it is easy to prevent F-111 from sneaking out.
The sunken pilotchute look also allows for 1/4 tolerance in loop length. Wings latest models have almost zero tolerance in loop length.

I have also leveled this same complaint against Concept and Vortex II. In their effort to make rigs look prettier they have elimnated several Javelin packing techniques and forced riggers to learn new techniques.

I was able to get with Henri at the last Symposium... that really helped. What is strange, about wanting the pilot chute level with the side-flaps, rather than 'sunk-in' is, the idea seems to scare the day-lights out of owners. The fears of 'snagging' the cap on something, the pilot chute material creeping out and all that. Personally, I think the 'sunken' look, looks great. With the cap level with the flaps, they look less 'secure'. That's just my silly opinion.:S

Chuck

The only thing I do not like about packing a Wings is the small base of the pilot chute. Gotta be in the right place or the thing can have less leaping power. But all of them should be in the right place too.

Anyway, the pc spring is a challenge for me but then, I do not see many them.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I always advise riggers to contact the factories and learn the "tricks" that make it easy.

Spoken like a racer rigger, seal brother!:P

Tim S86
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Riggers I've spoken to say it's no more technically difficult than any other. It is a little different to most, but not more difficult. If some riggers have difficulty with it because it's slightly different to what they're used to then that's down to them.

Not a rigger, but had a nice talk with my rigger when I was thinking about buying one of the wings demo rigs at WFFC; unfortunately they sold it, so I was out of luck. He isn't a fan of wings, but not because they are harder to pack. In his opinion, the exposed pilot chute make the rig harder to look pretty, so his only problem is aesthetics, not functionality.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

The first few times i repacked Wings, i struggled on the pilot chute. Tis just one of those things you gotta keep doing to get good at it. Even after other riggers have told me tricks i still need to fine tune my style. If i really wanted a Wings myself, i would go ahead and get it. If you own the rig, you're gonna get kick ass at packing it in no time.

BTW, us female riggers totally rock. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

We have a new rigger on our tem and it took him about 3 repacks to get that nice clean look.

It took me about 6 to get it right. But now after 3 years of packing them it is pretty second nature to me.

Racer's screw me up pretty good though!

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!