Raistlin

Leg straps pressure question

So far I have jumped about 8 different containers that all have had one thing in common: it is not very comfortable in the crotch area in them. (It seemed to be worse with student rigs, it is slightly better with a 170)

The leg straps cut into flesh and if I open high, the flight itself is not a very pleasant one; on a hop and pop from 9k my legs were practically numb by landing time.

I asked around and most have told me it is about what everyone has to endure, and you've got to lose some weight or bear and grin it (I'm 230 with gear). Any solutions? >:) I tried tightening the leg straps really tight, but it didn't seem to help much. Maybe get a mod to make them wider by a couple of inches - that oughta take care of the excessive pressure, no? Any solutions? Anybody got the same problem, if you consider it a problem at all?

Have any of the rigs been custom made to your dimensions?

That, by far - is the best thing somebody can do to get a comfortable rig.

I've had two pieces of foam sewn into my legstraps, so that the padding is a bit thicker. It helps.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I second what Rem said. My rides used to be painful if I opened anywhere above 3000-3500'. I heard from someone to sit in my leg straps and that helped tons. Just physicially slide your legstraps down a few inches and sit. It allows for greater harness control and you easily slide back in once it comes time to stand-up flair.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Ah, you can sit in your straps... :) I guess I'll have to try that. The things you learn at dz.com!

I've thought about a custom rig, but it'll have to wait a year. I did take on a second job specifically for that purpose :)

thanks. I'll report any progress after the weekend :)

Some rigs have the option of wider legstraps. I have these on mine and like them (I personally couldn't see jumping without them) but they pinch me around the perineal area when I'm walking on the ground. Women complain more about the pinching. Just saying you may want to try a rig with double-wide legstraps and see if it's better or worse or what.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I'm over 230 without gear and can tell you that my Mirage is comfy. Student gear gave me some bruises (I'm sure my fall rate helped make the initial opening a little harder) and my beer rig was a little better, but was made for someone taller and skinnier. Not comfy but not bruised either.
Also, the worst bruising I've seen was on a 100 lb girl -- no weight to lose there!!

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Also, do you sit yourself in the straps after opening, or do you just hang there?

My $0.02
Careful now. Allowing youself to sit in your harness could make it more difficult to run out landings. I think there have been other suggestions that might be a better choice.

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

Careful now. Allowing youself to sit in your harness could make it more difficult to run out landings. I think there have been other suggestions that might be a better choice.

That was actually considered by the orginal poster.

It allows for greater harness control and you easily slide back in once it comes time to stand-up flair.

Scott

Also in your case, I would recommend looking in to getting a WingsHarness/Container System.

The positioning of the three rings is a bit lower towards the chest rather than high on the shoulder. The result is a more reclined position when hanging in the harness. It takes some pressure off the inner thigh area.

Where are you located? Let me know and I can try to hook you up with a demo rig to see if it is right for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

if you consider it a problem at all?

I'm 225 lbs. out the door and I do lots of hop n pops from 14k. When I first started jumping I'd get bruises on my legs where the straps go around them. After a while I quit noticing it and I think my legs adapted to it, because I don't get those bruises anymore, and I don't feel uncomfortable in the harness anymore (same Dolphin D-2 rig the whole time)

Chris

How old is the rig you are jumping? What is the condition of the leg padding? If there old and worn, you may want to think about having them replaced, Also, make sure there long enough, when I got my rig they were too short leaving alot of exposed webbing against my leg. That was a bit painful

Mine used to freaking kill me in the saddle, but once I got a bungee connecting the leg straps sewn on, I found that they couldn't slip down and then snap back up on me. Without the initial slam on my thighs, the whole ride down is much more comfortable. :)
I definitely recommend the bungee. :)

Also, do you sit yourself in the straps after opening, or do you just hang there?

My $0.02

The amount that you move the legstraps forward on your legs doesn't affect your ability to have your legs where they belong when its time to land. It only changes the comfort level. If you push your legs back straight down the legstraps just slip back to where they would normally sit.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Oh, it was great.

I mean, I never before tried to sit back in the harness. Actually, the first time I tried, I couldn't, but then worked it out and am happy as a lark :) why did nobody mention it to me about a few months earlier... :) no pain/discomfort at all, so no need even to bother about wider leg straps. Thanks everybody!

On a related note, so far the most comfortable container I've jumped is a 12-year old EOS - supposedly built for someone just my size.

Edit to add, not to mention the first thing I did after leg straps no longer were the mortal threat to my appendages, was to take a cam and do a 12k hop-n-pop :) here's the resulting aerial shots, among other pictures: http://helxen.com/skydive/2.jpg up to 20.jpg

nice looking area around your DZ...

and nice plane :D
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

***I would recommend looking in to getting a WingsHarness/Container System.***

My experience is limited to student gear, a Vector II, and my Wings, so take this for what you consider its worth: I got brused with student gear, I was uncomfortable riding the Vector (bought used) down. My Wings was custom cut for me and I could fly under canopy all day :)