millertime24

Did you ever think your main would be your reserve?

There was a comment in the comment section that said if he had a skyhook it would have cut away his main. Is that true?

No, it is not true. Many of those commenting didn't even realize which canopy opened first. The skyhook system includes a mechanism that in the event only one main riser is released (and is actually pulled away from the jumper), the other main riser will be cut away also. The main risers are not released as a result of simply the reserve being activated.

Learn all you can about how gear works, even systems that aren't on your rig. The jumper in the video was smart enough to not be tempted to react to the malfuntioning canopy by cutting away.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>There was a comment in the comment section that said if he had a skyhook
>it would have cut away his main. Is that true?

Yes. From the video it looks like he snagged his RSL attachment point - you can see both the RSL lanyard and the ripcord cable in one frame of the video.

On a Skyhook, the RSL lanyard goes several places:

1) To one main riser. This is what "senses" the cutaway.
2) To the cutaway cable of the other main riser. This cuts away the other side, so that if there is an assymetric cutaway, the other side is released as well.
3) The reserve pin, to deploy the reserve.
4) The Skyhook device, which in effect 'snags' the reserve bridle to assist the reserve opening.

If the jumper in that video has snagged his RSL and he had had a Skyhook, the RSL would have both deployed the reserve and cut away the opposite main riser. This is a drawback of a Skyhook in that situation.

>There was a comment in the comment section that said if he had a skyhook
>it would have cut away his main. Is that true?

Yes.

No, it is apparent from the video that the reserve pin was pulled before pulling on the Collin's lanyard loop sufficiently to cutaway the riser. Once the pin is pulled, then one end of both the ripcord cable and the lanyard are free (and the cable and lanyard separate from each other), so they will slip away from the plane's door handle.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The comments on youtube mentions a wrongly installed skyhook, and that being the reason why the main wasn't cut away by it. Do you know anything about that?

There's lots of comments, many of them not realizing which canopy came out first, so I would not assume there was any reason to believe the 'incorrectly installed skyhook' assertion. It might be true, but as I described earlier, the events are quite plausible without the need to have an incorrectly installed skyhook.

When practicing for my 1st chuteless jump, I thought after receiving the reserve in freefall, that I would open it, and check out its performance.

It was a brand new "Strong reserve" and on pulling the ripcord, it exploded like a bomb. It had about 2000 holes in it, the largest was about 12 inches, the smallest like a pin prick. It was the only jump in which that canopy had ever been used....1 jump...1 canopy destroyed.

I cutaway and used my Para Commander, for a good safe landing. My main had become my reserve for that jump. I bought an orange and white C-9 and used that canopy for both chuteless jumps.(1969 and 1972 )

I sent the Strong reserve to Ted Strong, who incorrectly told me I had used a smoke bomb, and that accounted fr many of the holes. He was out to lunch, and wouldnt make good on the canopy.

Bill Cole D-41

It was a brand new "Strong reserve" and on pulling the ripcord, it exploded like a bomb. It had about 2000 holes in it, the largest was about 12 inches, the smallest like a pin prick. It was the only jump in which that canopy had ever been used....1 jump...1 canopy destroyed.

"Strong" probably refers to intensity of opening and not to durability :D

STRONG was the name of the manufacturer ( Strong Enterprises ) owned and operated by Ted Strong......1969 ....likely before your time.

I sent the reserve back to Ted Strong, and he refused to do anything about it. Some manufacturers only think of taking money from the public and won't guarantee their equipment.

Edit: how did you cut away that reserve?

He did not cutaway the reserve. The reserve was a BOS and he pulled it back in after the main was open. This is exactly what we do in Paragliding rescue parachute rides, (as essentially all PG harnesses do not have cutaways).

-SPACE-

Edit: how did you cut away that reserve?

He did not cutaway the reserve. .

I'm willing to bet that if he says he did, he did. Just a matter of 'splainin'.

Andy, check you dz.com email.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

No injuries from that opening. It was just like any other reserve opening at "terminal".

I have had many bone crushing openings in which I think my skeletal frame was tortured beyond one's wildest nightmares,......... like when I used 25 ft risors on a Para Commander. I can still feel the hurt from that one.......or when I accidentally landed on a downwinder, and it knocked my lights out for some time. I could hear people talking but all I saw was a black type of sky with a million stars. I was wearing a 35mm movie camera which gave me a concussion, and I was bruised from center front right around my right side to center back, and from neck to waist.

Ouch !!!!!