edjackson

Tempo Reserve

I noticed a post involving a newer model Tempo that failed. I am currently jumping a 1994 Tempo reserve and was wondering if it is time to replace it. No riggers have voiced concerns, but I have read about the older Tempos not being reinforced so I am a little concerned. What do riggers believe is the best reserve on the market today if it is time to replace the Tempo ?

The Tmpo is a TSO'ed reserve, even one from 1994 :P As long as you are within the noted/tested limits and your rigger is not saying there is a problem with the reserve, then your probably OK and not over loading the reserve.

That said I have no idea what you weigh out the door and what you like to do. The newer reserves are reinforced differently and are stronger now. This is helpfull given the huge increase in non-belly flying. The PD-R and the Smart are nice reserves as was previously noted. If your within the limits of the Tempo, your in good shape. If your over 1.0 and do a lot of headdown and freeflying you might want to consider a newer design for a reserve that is designed to meet some of the higher possible demands you flying weight and jumping stypoe might need...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

You know Hook, when operated within placarded limits, I don't much care if a reserve has a "good" flare. It's only ment to land you safely, not comfortably or stylishly. If your outside the placard your a test jumper and all bets are off. Most of the jumper aren't going to know how to flare their once in a lifetime reserve landing anyway.

>:(I'm in a pissy mood today. Grrrr>:(
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

You know Hook, when operated within placarded limits, I don't much care if a reserve has a "good" flare. It's only ment to land you safely, not comfortably or stylishly. If your outside the placard your a test jumper and all bets are off. Most of the jumper aren't going to know how to flare their once in a lifetime reserve landing anyway.

The one I sw was within limits and if, for a similar cost you can get a reserve with a great flare, why not?

I'm in a pissy mood today. Grrrr

LOL- I understand;)

Derek

I also don't like that it is simply a F-111 Triatholon.

I disagree. It's not quite that simple. There is quite a bit of added reinforcement in the tail area, as well as additional strengthening. The Airfoil is a bit different as well. Maybe it was modeled after one of the most proven 7 cell designs in existence but it is a different beast.

I found the 135 to have a great flare.

I also like my PD 126R's. They are great canopies as well.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

But it's not a similar cost if he already has one. I see no reasonable justification to through out a Tempo to by a PD. What's he going to do? Sell it to someone else so they can then decide they need something else?

Stll in a bad mood!
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

But it's not a similar cost if he already has one. I see no reasonable justification to through out a Tempo to by a PD. What's he going to do? Sell it to someone else so they can then decide they need something else?

Good point, but I wanted the best on my back. PD proved to me that it is the best. He can do what I did w/ my -M, throw it awayB|.

Stll in a bad mood!

That's OK:):ph34r:.

Derek

I disagree. It's not quite that simple. There is quite a bit of added reinforcement in the tail area, as well as additional strengthening. The Airfoil is a bit different as well. Maybe it was modeled after one of the most proven 7 cell designs in existence but it is a different beast.

Correct me if I am wrong, going off of memory, but I though the Tri had the tape running to the steering line attachment points too.

If one of those plastic slider stops breaks...............[:/]

Derek

I also don't like that it is simply a F-111 Triatholon.

Derek

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Try laying a Triathlon rib and a Smart rib side by side. They have numerous detail differences: different curvature, different reinforcing tapes, different line trim, etc..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"those plastic slider stops: are installed in thousands of main canopies and rarely break.

And when they do, you have a reserve. If it happens on your reserve........

I think if you're jumping your reserve enough break your slider stops, you should probably re-evaluate your main packing techniques!
:P
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Have you ever seen a plastic slider stop break?

I think they are better then the metal ones. SEems to me that the metal stops add more wear the the slots they sit in anyway.

If those metal stops aren't tumbled correctly they can have burrs on them and mess up your canopy. The plastic stops seem to work just fine. I really think this is a non-issue.

AS far as it basically being a Tri. So what! I put hundreds of jumps on a Tri and never had any problems landing it. In fact I loved it! It had great openings and great landings.
Dom

Have you ever seen a plastic slider stop break?

Yes.

I think they are better then the metal ones. SEems to me that the metal stops add more wear the the slots they sit in anyway.

If those metal stops aren't tumbled correctly they can have burrs on them and mess up your canopy. The plastic stops seem to work just fine. I really think this is a non-issue.

Metal slider stops wearing out the webbing they are senw into hasn't been a problem.

AS far as it basically being a Tri. So what! I put hundreds of jumps on a Tri and never had any problems landing it. In fact I loved it! It had great openings and great landings.

That's OK. I have my opinion of them and have expressed it and defended why I feel that way. If you or someone else disagrees/has a different opinion, that's OK.:)
Derek

No fight here brother. Just asking the why's.

We just disagree on the plastic over the Metal that's all.

I just think you are being kinda of conservative about the stops. You have every right to feel the way you do. I just think that if it has ever happened, it hasn't happened enough to really make enyhting out of it.

Things that might have also played into them breaking are, possible the quality of plastic used and was the person that happened to way over the limit for that canopy? If so maybe the stops they had weren't tested to that much weight? I have seen people take terminal rides on Smarts and have had no problems with the plastic stops. We even had demo's out here that people jumped as mains and this wasn't an issue at all.
Dom

No worries;). I agree it's not a big issue, but given that it is the jumper's last chance, why not 6 metal stops? Why 4 plastic ones? Will a Smart's slider stop ever break? Maybe, maybe not. OK probably not;). I do know that spreading the force over 6 and using metal basically takes the odds to zero, which for reserves is (or should be) the goal.

Derek

I do know that spreading the force over 6 and using metal basically takes the odds to zero, which for reserves is (or should be) the goal.

I can agree with you that spreading the load may be a better idea.

I also think that people a lot of time assume that metal is the way to go for a lot of things that just don't need it. Like Slinks for example. I now that fabric can get cut and what not, where metal won't, but if you check your gear that shouldn't be a problem, you will see it if you look for it.
Dom

The SMART is nice too.

I don't like that it has plastic slider stops and only 4 instead of 6 of those. I also don't like that it is simply a F-111 Triatholon. I don't think (from watching landings) that it has a good flare.

Derek

I think that from flying it myself, it has an excellent flare.

Side by side, I would choose the PD-r over the Smart because I am splitting hairs. The PDr has smoother turns. But I would jump either canopy, any day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!