edjackson

Tempo Reserve

You know Hook, when operated within placarded limits, I don't much care if a reserve has a "good" flare. It's only ment to land you safely, not comfortably or stylishly. If your outside the placard your a test jumper and all bets are off. Most of the jumper aren't going to know how to flare their once in a lifetime reserve landing anyway.

>:(I'm in a pissy mood today. Grrrr>:(

Hate to disagree with someone in a grumpy mood, but....

If a reserve stalls on the flare, it can result in an injury. If a reserve doesn't flare it can result in an injury. Sure just broken tailbone or ankle perhaps, but an injury none the less.

We have held several demo days to let the locals fly reserves. And I am quite confident that most jumpers will have a great landings under their PD reserves. We have a few Smarts on the DZ now too. Same holds true.

I have 8 reserve rides. My first two were great. I have had the displeasure of having to use a couple of reserves that had little to no flare and ended up with sprained ankles. My last two have been on my PD113, and they were quite comfortable.

In todays market there are so many great products to choose from, and no need to settle for something that doesn't perform.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

If a reserve stalls on the flare, it can result in an injury.

This is a great point, and I think the reserve demo program that GravityGirl mentioned is a good one. I know that PD has a program to do this, and I think some other manufacturers do as well, but I don't know for sure. If you haven't done it, you might convince your local DZ to sponsor such a program - I've done it and it was worth-while.

After doing it and talking to some of others that did, the thing that we noticed most (I think) was that the stall points on the reserves was much different than expected. Mine was quite a bit higher than I expected, and I heard others say that. At least one person said he wasn't able to stall the reserve.

It's an important point because if you are under reserve, you will very likely be low, which means that there may be no time to do a practice flare. Your first "practice flare" under your reserve may be your landing! If the stall point is unexpected, you may very easily stall it too high or not have enough flare and come in too fast. It would be a shame to cutaway from one canopy just to get hurt landing an unfamiliar reserve canopy.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I have had the displeasure of having to use a couple of reserves that had little to no flare and ended up with sprained ankles.

I've never seen one of these.

Mostly I've seen reserves jumped over recommended limits flown improperly for said loadings.

That said I've got 2 PDR's and might add a SMART in the near future.

;)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.