Namowal

Noob Cartoon: Chicken of the Sky

I've said "hi" here a few weeks ago, but I thought you might find a cartoon I did about my experience as a noob (tandem) skydiver.
I'm not sure if it will bring back memories or just make people think I'm goofy.

p.s. I took some artistic liberties with the gear and with...
...well, you'll see.

Chicken of the Sky
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Haha..that was great! And your other ones are pretty cool too.

I'll be hanging off a wing strut here in a couple days for my first ever jump. Your whole Curious Namowal, Cautious Namowal has been playing in my head also, haha.

Thanks, Peanut Gallery.
I could have filled a phone book with the bickering of my curious and cautious sides. Glad to know I'm not the only one who did (and does) this!

p.s. Have fun on your jump!

Very cute and imaginative! B|

Thanks, Skymama

Pretty talented there. You caught my thots exactly when I started. Of course that was only 10 jumps ago.B|

Thanks, Jockeyshifter63,
It's nice to hear that I'm not alone with those thoughts. I was wondering if I'd get replies like "What kind of nut are you? You have no business being anywhere near a drop zone."
Of course, the day is young... :)

I LOVE your cartoon! it's so true and so funny at the same time.

The really cool part (for me, the sport psychologist anyway) was the self-talk (the other duck). It plays such a vital part of skydiving! The self-talk duck never really goes away; it just gets quieter and at times says different (more positive) things.

Blue skies!! Are you going to get your A license?
http://3ringnecklace.com/

I LOVE your cartoon! it's so true and so funny at the same time.

The really cool part (for me, the sport psychologist anyway) was the self-talk (the other duck). It plays such a vital part of skydiving! The self-talk duck never really goes away; it just gets quieter and at times says different (more positive) things.

Blue skies!! Are you going to get your A license?

Thanks!
As for that A license, I want one, but we'll see if I have the nerve to go through with it. :$

...It's nice to hear that I'm not alone with those thoughts. I was wondering if I'd get replies like "What kind of nut are you? You have no business being anywhere near a drop zone."
Of course, the day is young... :)

Ok, so what kind of nut are you?

From what I've seen, you'll fit in perfectly at the dropzone.

The cartoon was pretty much spot on. The "flying and trespassing" thought hits home. We are in a truly wonderful place that we don't belong in and can't survive in.

And we keep going back.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I've said "hi" here a few weeks ago, but I thought you might find a cartoon I did about my experience as a noob (tandem) skydiver. I'm not sure if it will bring back memories or just make people think I'm goofy.

Your work is far more than just a cartoon!
I hope to see more of it.
Thanks for sharing that.

Cute cartoons, Namowal. Hey, I literally almost peed my pants on my first jump. Then, I almost puked when we landed... I walked away on shaky knees muttering "This is sooo not *@#^ing for me..."

A few months later, I was back for more. If a once-terrified sack like me can finish a license & dig it? You can, too. Just try not to have any Quack Attacks in the plane. You'll piss people off :P.

Update- I'm signed up for my first AFF class now. Yikes! :D

You should contact Blue Skies magazine about doing a cartoon strip for them. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Cute cartoons, Namowal. Hey, I literally almost peed my pants on my first jump. Then, I almost puked when we landed... I walked away on shaky knees muttering "This is sooo not *@#^ing for me..."

A few months later, I was back for more. If a once-terrified sack like me can finish a license & dig it? You can, too. Just try not to have any Quack Attacks in the plane. You'll piss people off :P.

I'm defiantly in the "This scares the **** out of me!" category right now, so it's good to hear there's hope.:)

Ha ha! Very talented, both artwork and story line. Keep 'em coming!

It's high time "that other cartoonist" on here got some serious competition!

Who's he (or she?) Anyone who skydives and draws cartoons can't be all bad.;)

Ha ha! Very talented, both artwork and story line. Keep 'em coming!

It's high time "that other cartoonist" on here got some serious competition!

Who's he (or she?) Anyone who skydives and draws cartoons can't be all bad.;)

This guy:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=cartoon&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=steveorino&sb=post_time&mh=500

Well, 'SkyMama' beat me to the punch, but I was going to suggest the exact same thing. They're a relatively new mag, but those guys/gals are funny as hell, and I think your comic would fit in PERFECTLY there! Now that you've signed up for AFF, I really think that your artistic talent, matched with your ability to describe everything in a humorous manner, could make you a little money bro. I've never done a tandem jump, but I can totally imagine what you were describing. And, the way you described the feeling that I have in the sky, like we're trespassing, and don't really belong there, was spot on. You seriously do have some talent, and I for one, would love to read your comics in that mag, since I just signed up for a subscription. You could just make it into a complete journey of the duck, and everything that he goes through, just like you did in that comic. I hope to see your work in that mag, and remember, that kind of stuff looks great on a resume, you know? I'm not sure how much help I could be, but if I can write a letter or something to 'Blue Skies', then I would be more than happy to do so. Hope to see more of your work, and that your AFF program goes well. Take care bro.
Life's not permanent, don't take it too seriously! :-)

Love the 'toon! You do a great job of describing the emotions one goes through on a 1st jump. I 2nd the motion to submit your work to "Blue Skies" or "Parachutist" for publication. They'll probably want a short version of a cartoon, like the three or four panel versions in our newspapers. Good luck, and I hope to see more of your work!

I apologize to you. I did not mean to offend you 'Chicken of the Sky', I guess I just assumed that you were a guy, since the majority of the people in this sport are guys. None of that matters though, you have a lot of talent, and I for one, would really like to see you profit from it, while letting the rest of us get a good chuckle out of your cartoon. I seriously hope that I did not offend you, and if I did, then I truly am sorry about that. I hope you make the decision to take your art further, and entertain the masses. :)

Life's not permanent, don't take it too seriously! :-)