Laweagle

1st & 2nd static line jumps for 50 yo

Greetings from a newbie here...

Took my first static line jump 10/18 and second on 11/1. What a great experience. 50 yo lawyers should not do this, but I'm hooked and hope people will put up with me long enough for me to get my license.

It is hard to describe why anyone does this, but I have decided that as long as I feel the urge, I will keep going. When I asked my instructors whey a 50 yo man who knows better should do this, they told me to let them know when I figured it out.

I am glad I did not wait and did it when I did. I will certainly be going as often as I can though I have been winded out the last two weekends with winds over the maximum 14 mph.

For all of you waiting to make your first jump, just go and get out of the plane! If a 50 yo overweight chicken can hang from a strut and let go, anyone can! WHat made it so enjoyable was all of the instructors who were very good at the training and great with the psychology.

I find I think about the experience all the time, and grudgingly have to bring myslef back to thinking about work.

Happy landings to you all!

Welcome to the skies, Laweagle! You have just taken the first two steps on a (hopefully) very long, and VERY rewarding road!!

As to being a mere 50 y/o, I started my AFF training at age 61! Weather has interrupted things a bit, but I will find a way to press onward to my license.

It is one thing to be afraid to die; another altogether to be afraid to live! Join us - play with us in the sky, and truly live!

Blue Skies and Safe Landings always -

SkyPainter

BTW - you now qualify as a P.O.P.S. (Parachutists Over Phorty Society) member! Join us, too! :)
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

my hubby started jumping at 51. age doesn't matter...it is the love for the sky that will keep bringing you back. Welcome.;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Well done that man. 50 is not old anymore. I am turning 50 in 2 weeks and will be doing my 43rd jump spread over 28 yrs. Doing a tandem then AFF next year.. money permitting. At least being a lawyer money for jumping anf gear will not be a problem for you. Well done. Wait until you feel the freefall experience then it really gets going.

I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

I'm 50 and just made my 1st tandem jump 2 weeks ago. It was supposed to be a 'bucket list' item for me but I am SO HOOKED, I still can't believe it. I plan on going through AFF in the spring (if I can wait that long).

As for waiting until 50, I wish I'd made the 'leap' years earlier, but ... I didn't. I guess it just takes some of us longer to really learn what it means to 'live'. I know it did me.

Welcome and hope to read more about your experiences here in the forums.

Welcome to the best sport ever invented. It's never too late to add adventure to your life.

Check out this dude...I want to be like him when I grow up.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3106285;search_string=jim%20hickey;#3106285
Jeanne
Blue Skies, better days, more beer - Oh the humanity - Peace be with you my friend

DON'T TASE ME BRO

Welcome! I'm 54 and started static line this year, too. Gone on to the second AFF dive, and will go on I hope.

Can't figure a reason why 54 is relevant. Lots of things I can't do now due to age, but skydiving isn't one of them. Neither is motorcycle riding for that matter, which I also started doing. And for the same reason.

The real question is, why now? Why not earlier, or never?

I think we know the answer. I'm fine with it.

Congrats on the jump. I wish I had made my first static line at 50. Then I would be in my 6th year and not my second. Welcome to skies and it is a great sport.

And I have noticed that they let anyone jump. Even preachers like me.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Bob Sinclair is 84 or so, he's been jumping for 63 years! He still makes one or two jumps a week depending on the weather. This year at Richmond he was showing us pictures of a P-51 Mustang jump he made. They took the canopy off so he could climb over the side. Then there's the things he's more commonly famous for.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.