NotBond

First jump impressions - am I normal?

Hello all, brand new 47 yo jumper here. Trying to figure some things out so I thought I would go to the experts.

The idea of jumping was on the "bucket list" - things I always wanted to do. This one was a bit difficult, though - I have a pretty good fear of heights, and am prone to motion sickness (great combo for skydiving, right?). But, wanted to face my fears.....

Went for a tandem jump. Kinda nervous on the ground. Plane ride up was great - loved it. We leveled off at 7500 to let some jumpers out. When they rolled up the door and I SAW the NOTHINGNESS outside, I had the "What the "H" an I doing?" moment. But, too late now...

14,500 ft. Door goes up. I scuffle forward on my knees to the EDGE OF THE DOOR! Look straight down for three miles...brain must have locked up here. Absolutely, Stupendously Terrifying. And we're supposed to roll out into thaaaaaaaat....

Free fall. Instructor had to pull my locked arms from my chest. Wind, some light rain. Videographer right in front of me. Smile for the camera - is he kidding?!

Very little impressions here. No adrenalin rush. Just wind and noise. Chute opens (wow, is that a jolt!). Now hanging from harness, floating down. Interesting view....brain still locked, I think. Nausea starts here, especially with tight spins, but keep things down (and yes, I DID take Bonine beforehand!). Landing was great, no worries. Would I go again, I am asked...I don't think so, I reply.

But now, I'm not so sure. There was no adrenaline rush, all in all, (except for the DOOR part), it was kinda anti-climactic. But, I find myself obsessing about the "exiting the aircraft" portion - nothing else.

So, I'm asking you veterans - am I nuts? Was fear obscuring everything else for me? Should I do another tandem, now that I know what to expect? It's almost as if I'm not satisfied with how I faced my own fears - does any of this make sense? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyways... - John Wayne

Not an expert but I can say that I was somewhat dissapointed with my first tandem cause I was expecting fear, adrenaline and all that but I was struck by the calmness of it all (except for the door part). So I went back 2 days later for a 2nd tandem and as it turned out I was absent the whole way down on the first jump cause the second I felt much more aware of everything and roughly half way down the canopy portion of the jump I decided I was going to be a skydiver. That was in 06, 07 was a bad year for me so last may (08) was when I became a skydiver.

My first tandem, although incredibly enjoyable, was not like most people found it either. Most others were jumping up and down yelling in exitement about what they had just done. I found it surreal and actually calming.
My first solo was a complete different experience as well as all my jumps up to this point!
When tandem I don't have to do anything and am simply along for the ride with someone who has thousands and thousands of jumps. I don't have to think or really do anything while tandem.
Now that I am solo, I have a lot of things to remember, learn, and concentrate on. I must take action and take the appropraite action. I am no longer along for the ride. My first IAD and 2 clear and pull jumps were the most rush I have ever felt! It was me, it was something I did, it was the accomplishment of doing something so few are able to do.
Anyone can go tandem. They may even pass out, but they can still do it as they are really doing nothing. That is why, as wonderful as it was, still didn't just make me run in circle with exitement. Jumping on my own is a completely different story and I can't get enough of it!

There is a lot of sensory overload going on there. I had it, too. I had a great tandem instructor and I really liked him. He spent time talking to me about the jump and I learned things about skydiving while some of the other tandem passengers just stared out the windows on the ride to altitude. Even so, I enjoyed my second jump more than my first. I knew more about what to expect and could take in more of what was going on than the first time, which went by in a blur. I'd encourage you to give another jump some good consideration. It may not be for you, but if something about it is nagging for your attention, it might be worth giving it another try. I hope you tell us what you decide!
TPM Sister #102

1st, welcome to the wonderfull world of skydiving! I think each person handles their 1st tandem/skydive differently. If you look at some of the vids that you can find online... you will find a miriad of responses ranging from calm/serene to jumping up & down hugging strangers or going to the nearby bar with their tandem harness still on!!!:o Sooo, I would'nt say that there is a norm. I was amped up on adreinalin but was still calm. Knew instantly that it was going to be something that I wanted to do as long as I could. Facing my fears and taking on skydiving was one of the BEST decisions in life that I have made and am fairly sure that if you continue to pursue the sport you will find it as addicting and rewarding as any sport could be! Whatever your choice.. best of luck and blue skies

If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

Thanks for the welcome! I think I'm still processing - jump was last Sunday. But as the days go by, it becomes easier and easier to say "Maybe I'll try that again. After all, the hard part was only that 20 seconds at the door..."

Not sure yet, but not ruling it out, either. So who is a skydiver defined as - one jump per year, per month, or total addict that lives on the plane?

I can honestly say my first tandem jump was the single most exciting thing I have EVER done. The first AFF was very close to that as well. I was the same way the first time the door opened, all I remember thinking was "HOLY SH*T!!!"

No nausea, just pure adrenalin, after that pure rush. But also, at the same time, it was like the ultimate clarity. I found that I could think VERY clearly, and nail every task in the dive flow. Hyper- awareness.

Now, for me, the adrenaline starts as soon as I land. When I'm in the air, all I'm thinking about is execution, and find myself always ready to cut-away if the need be. I also review the dive flow in my head on the way up, and from 7500 ft to 14,500, I'm meditating, clearing EVERYTHING from my head.

Every time I jump, it feels like I've accomplished the impossible. I still get chills every time I think about skydiving. Every time I hear a King Air flying over, I find myself walking the landing pattern.

And I find that this is what I was looking for my WHOLE LIFE........ There used to be a big void, like something was missing. Not these days. Not anymore.

SKYDIVE to LIVE! LIVE to SKYDIVE!
"Get these balls!"

I don't remember a whole lot about my first tandem, but I do remember sitting in back of the plane thinking "gee, I should be scared, I wonder why I'm not..." Even in the door, it was more surreal than scary. For me it's never been an adrenaline thing.

I probably wouldn't have gone back and jumped if it weren't for a friend who wanted to take first jump class. I promised to take it with her, then after about my third or fourth jump I got hooked. Still not because of adrenaline, fear, or any of that (not to say there weren't some slightly scary parts here and there), but because the people I jumped with just made it seem like the thing to do :)

That's an interesting take. Everywhere you read it adrenaline, adrenaline, adrenaline. I don't remember any adrenaline "rush".. Fear, then calm (maybe shock?!). Canopy time was very calm and peaceful - if the dang nausea hadn't hit, it would have been great!

Welcome to the forums! :)

Once we start jumping with other people it really does evolve into being a sport. We have to make very controlled movements with our bodies to be able to perform maneuvers with our friends in the air. It takes a lot of practice in short periods of time. Plus, the canopy control is a whole other issue. You have to know the characteristics of your canopy and how it flies in different wind speeds, you have to figure out a landing pattern in your head, manage to avoid hitting other jumpers and obstacles, etc. It can be stressful, but it's also so much fun!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

*no expert here*

what is normal anyways? i find that a very relative term, but as far as skydiving goes, you are having a "normal" reaction and you may very possibly be hooked already :P

I'd do another tandem and think about if this sport is for you and if so, sign up for your solos and let the jumping begin!

good luck and blue skies
jess

"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

Glad to be reading your experience as i was too there. After my first jump(tandem) i couldn't stop thinking about how not "scary" it was. It just felt so...normal? It just felt like something that i had done many times to the point where it wasn't so exciting? So i knew i had to do it again but this time with a parachute on my back. Man was that a different feeling. Knowing that your counting on yourself for survival, choosing your own landing spot, making your own turns, it was awesome. The feeling of being at the door has completely changed from the feeling i had when i did the tandem.

Its much more exciting now knowing that i am skydiving, not just hanging on to someone who is skydiving.

I am very fresh to the sport, but it is something that i know i want to do for many years. Welcome, and im sure you will enjoy your stay! :)
Hi, my names Jon, and I love to skydive.

Wow......interesting. NotBond, I understand that 'locked brain' feeling. I was suprirsingly not nervous the whole time, even when the door opened. I too had that surreal feeling, like I was watching someone else do it. I did come to my senses during freefall and just absolutely loved it.

So interesting to read all of your responses. I'm glad to find out that subsequent jumps are more rewarding to most, and am sure will be for me too.

Smile, breathe, relax. :)
Go to dropzone, do another tandem.;);)

Smile, breathe, relax.B|

I bet you will have a very different and very enjoyable experience.

(I didn't start jumping until my 50th birthday. I now pretty much live for it.)

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Smile, breathe, relax. :)
Go to dropzone, do another tandem.;);)

Smile, breathe, relax.B|

I bet you will have a very different and very enjoyable experience.

I posted my second tandem on the Safety/Training forum. You're right, is was a LOT different!

I somewhat had the same experience. I have been fascinated with skydiving since I was a little kid. It took me till now to finally do it. I had been to the dz many times and my best friend is a licensed jumper but I kept making up excuses as to why I couldn't jump lol. I was just scared I guess. Well I made my first jump last Sunday. I enjoyed the heck out of it but in a strange sense it wasn't what I had always expected. I was completely scared out of my mind until I was out of the plane and then I was fine. I purchased another tandem the same day because I have a feeling now that I know what to expect, the second one will be more enjoyable. After that I believe I will begin the AFF training. I have terrible allergies and I dont know if it was the cold front that blew in on the day that I jumped or the shear fact of falling into the wind that did it but it tore me up hahaha. I'm just hoping that now that I know what to expect that I will be able to be more aware and really experience what is going on. I know I'm going to like it. I mean how can I not when all I can think about is wishing the weekend was here so I can get back out there. Good luck

I somewhat had the same experience. I have been fascinated with skydiving since I was a little kid. It took me till now to finally do it. I had been to the dz many times and my best friend is a licensed jumper but I kept making up excuses as to why I couldn't jump lol. I was just scared I guess. Well I made my first jump last Sunday. I enjoyed the heck out of it but in a strange sense it wasn't what I had always expected. I was completely scared out of my mind until I was out of the plane and then I was fine. I purchased another tandem the same day because I have a feeling now that I know what to expect, the second one will be more enjoyable. After that I believe I will begin the AFF training. I have terrible allergies and I dont know if it was the cold front that blew in on the day that I jumped or the shear fact of falling into the wind that did it but it tore me up hahaha. I'm just hoping that now that I know what to expect that I will be able to be more aware and really experience what is going on. I know I'm going to like it. I mean how can I not when all I can think about is wishing the weekend was here so I can get back out there. Good luck

Glad to hear you're going again. I think you WILL have a different experience.

Yeah, that first step out of the plane will just stop you cold! It's really cool that it only lasts for a second or so, then your not "falling" anymore. I try to explain it to people, and fail every time!

Try this on the plane - breathe in slowly, saying "I Am", then exhale to "Calm". A few time doing that really helped me. And look at the horizon if you get queasy....

Have fun! I'll bet you have a totally different dive next time!

I had alot of the same feelings as you. No fear No adrenelin just noise and wind. Then opening WOW that shit hurt. didn't have legs straps tight enough or positioned properly after sitting in plane. Thought that I would at least complete my tandem jumps and see if it got better. 2nd was alittle better 3rd even better 4th great then on to AFF for 4 jumps now the fun starts. keep with it you'll be glad you did trust me. Do another tandem and I'd bet it will be a much better and enjoyable experience.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

Yeah the whole falling feeling really wasn't there as I was expecting. I was told over and over by many different jumpers that it didn't exist and even though I knew that they knew what they were talking about I still didn't believe them. I literally got it for maybe a second after leaving the plane but then it instantly went away. I tend to think that I could have possibly given it to myself in the anticipation that it was gonna be there lol.

What you're saying makes sense - it's your honest reaction. Jumping out of an airplane is NOT a natural act. The fear of falling is one of the two instinctive fears humans are born with, the other being fear of loud noises, which skydiving is also full of.

Skydiving is NOT for everyone. We ARE a self selected bunch of people who are odd enough to enjoy, to LOVE the experience. And it even scares us, which I have to believe is part of the reason we love it.

Whether you find enough excitement/joy/ecstasy from the experience is really up to you, It's a very personal evaluation. The fact that some of us have thousands, or even tens of thousands of jumps, or may go for as many as 2000 jumps or more without using the reserve, may be of no comfort, even though it's true.

Even so, you're not "abnormal". You've still made one more jump than 99.999% of the human race, if only because you had the curiosity and resolve to do it once. So congratulations ! And if that's all you ever do, then so be it.

But if you're examining yourself and your motivation, and still want to give it a go, then I'd encourage you to make that second jump. A second jump is often scarier than the first - I know mine was. But if you get past numero two-o, and I'd definitely recommend you make yours as another tandem - you might just find that you're hooked.

For a second tandem, if that's what you decide to do, I would suggest you tell your instructor you want to get more involved and use the jump as a training experience. You should insist on wearing your own altimeter on your wrist and tell your instructor you want to pull the main release handle yourself at 5 grand (don't worry - if you don't, he WILL). Also tell him you want to fly the canopy, even if he wants to take over for the final landing approach and flare. The main point is to get as involved in the jump as you possibly can. Because two tandems will teach you about as much as there is to learn form them. After that, if you still want to jump, you'll need to take AFF, static line, or IAD.

Good luck !!

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Well... I did my first SL when I was 14 years old. And got hooked. I jumped with this kind of parachute http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t147/coconutLT/DSC00006.jpg .
This year I had a tandem and after that... maybe 2 days later I called one of the instructors and told them "Hello, I want AFF!" :))
It's like... who do it, they can't explain why :) It's just a wonderful feeling that makes you do it again and again, and more you do it- more you like it :)

P.S. Sorry, if I made some mistakes, English is not my first language :$

Skydivers have more fun than people.

Congrats on making your first skydive!

For sure, you remembered a lot more than I did on my first jump.

My first was Static Line and I remembered standing in the plane looking at my brother. I remember him yelling "GO!" I stepped out the door and I remember landing. I remembered nothing between door and landing.

Sensory overload.

I had to do it again because I missed out on most of it the first time around.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239