carlosmolus

My First Jump... Tandem of AFF??

Hello Everybody!! I'm totally new to this sport and I'm planning to jump in 2 weeks, but I'm still thinking whether I should do tandem or AFF. I've talked to people who have done it before, a newbie who first did static line and a guy who has 1000+ jumps and they told me I should be ok, but I'd like to know what you guys think... Also I know it's a silly question, but.. is it possible that if your parachutes fail one of the instructors could hold on to you to save your life ? just curious about all those movies :P!

I would suggest doing a tandem before signing up for AFF, for no other reason but it will prepare you for the sensations you experience jumping.

Your DZ may actually provide a tandem progression which is the best of both worlds. If you search a bit you'll find some good information on AFF and tandem progressions here on DZ.com.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I second Aggie Dave's response. As a recent AFF Grad who did a Tandem first. Go on a tandem and let your Tandem instructor know that you would like to take an active roll in the skydive....depending on your instructor and you....you should be able to assist in flying the parachute and possibly deploying the parachute.

Just talk to your instructor!
HackB A.K.A. "Puppy"

Hi and congratulations on your decision to skydive, hope you like it. As a recent AFF graduate our school required a tandem before you can take AFF. I would recomend it that way too. Hey with the tandem you can just fly and take it all in before the instructors start beating you up on your form. (HA HA)
Blue skies and happy landings!!
Ordinary's..... just not good enough today.

I guess I am one of those "different drummers." I always recommend to people that if they intend on learning how to skydive that they start AFF. If they want to "sample" it simply for the experience, or to see if they will enjoy it, then tandem is the way to go.

To answer your "Instructors save your life" question . . .

First of all you need to understand that it is your responsibility to pull the ripcord. The Instructors are there to assist you, and the redundant safety systems on your equipment are there as backup devices only. You will receive all the training you need so that you can pull for yourself. It is the most important part of every skydive.

Secondly, you should understand that reserve malfunctions are extremely rare. The chance of you being put in the situation you describe is miniscule.

Next, Instructors have assisted students in many ways, sometimes on the heroic scale. They have "rules of engagement" that they follow during their instruction, and can go to great lengths to ensure the safety of the student. While what you describe is not impossible, I would say quite honestly that it is not likely.

Here you will read that understanding the risk should be your first step in getting into skydiving. All of your training, practice, and experience gained helps you mitigate that risk as much as possible.

Best of luck and blue skies.
Arrive Safely

John

im still in my AFF. when i started out i did first tandem just to soak it all in. great just not having to worry about pull this or fly that. then 2nd jump was tandem level 2 which took place as my AFF level 1 (altitude awareness(sp?)) then FJC and level 2. next weekend is level 3 and i cant wait! wish i could afford to do more at once, but unfortinatly i cant... in my FJC I was in class with a guy that was using his level 1 AFF as thier first jump out of an airplane. He was a nervous character and while i wasnt there when he jumped i hope he didnt panic. i think he did ok. i hope...:)

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

Hiya

comgratualtions on deciding to do a paracjute jump...its the BEST thing u'll ever do!!

im one of those people who did not do a tandem jump before beginning my static line course. i believe i made the correct decision, having the satisfaction of both jumping, and jumping alone.

i got my cat 8 qualification after 24 jumps, and did a tandem jump the day after...strange but amusing experience! :)
good luck with whatever jump you decide to do, and i hope you enjoy it! :ph34r:

Enjoy failure and learn from it. You never learn from success

i just completed my aff level 1 yesterday -from a personal perspective, i recommend at least one tandem... but really i think after that point it should be how comfortable and confident you feel to do it on your own... if after the first time you think you'll be ok, go for it... if not another tandem will make you more aware of what goes on... either way all i have to say is don't forget to do a FULL flare when you land ;) my purple ankle is what happens when you think you have flared all the way but really you didnt (damn short arms;))
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

Hey Carlos, I'm halfway through AFF and I started with two tandem jumps. I also think at least one tandem is good before moving into jumping with your own chute. The freefall environment is one that is unlike anything else you'll ever experience and at least for me, the first jump was nothing but total sensory overload. AFF 1 is kind of a busy skydive (& AFF 2 even busier), so you don't have a lot of time to zone out. A tandem is a good way to get your feet wet, and then you're all the more prepared when you decide to go for AFF. ;-)

I started AFF in June. If I was going to start from scratch again, I think I would have gone on a tandem
first. When I got off the step on that first jump, nearly all I could think of for the first several seconds
was "Oh sh-t I let go of the plane the ground is down there and I'm going towards it oh sh-t I let go of
the plane". Eventually I settled down and did most of the things I was supposed to do. Immediately
after the ripcord pull, I again had a couple of seconds of "oh sh-t nothing is happening" until I
remembered to settle down and do the count and wait for the parachute to deploy, which it did. I think
that if I had gone on a tandem first, I could have gotten all the "oh sh-t" moments out of the way when I
didn't have to _do_ anything.

As I think has been mentioned, some DZs offer a progression that starts with some tandem jumps, so
you might be able to make your first tandem jump part of your official training. Even if you can't do this,
I agree with the previous advice to tell your tandem instructor that you're thinking of going on and
becoming licensed - he or she may then let you try a few things, like steering the parachute.

Good luck!

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I only have one jump under my belt (AFF) and what your future plans are should affect your decision. According to my instructors, if you plan to make this a longtime activity and really want to learn to be good at it, go AFF immediately. If only for recreation and you're not interested in becoming an expert, go tandem. At least you can enjoy the entire skydive without having many responsibilities of your own (if you so wish). In AFF, you don't get that luxury - too many maneuvers to perform to take in the beauty of it. But, either way, you'll love it! Don't worry about malfunctions - your instructors will teach you everything you'll need to know.

My newbie .02:

I found the tandems to be useful for 2 big things:

1. Sensory overload out of the way. By the time I was doing the AFP progression (which follows tandem learnings) , I was comfortable with the freefall and able to be aware of my surroundings more than I believe I would have been had I not already experienced freefall.

2. Canopy instruction while actually under canopy. Having someone be able to speak in your ear directly and explain exactly what you are seeing etc is wonderful. Having someone to witness clearing of end cell closures and point out that 'spot on the ground that doesn't move - that's where you'll land if you do nothing" was verrrrry useful to me.

Either way, have fun with it, pay attention, keep your wits about you. Enjoy!

I'm a newbie... and although a tandem is the right answer for 80-90% of students some people might be better suited for starting with AFF level I.

That's what I did (its better suited to my personality...) and I'm happy that I made the decision...

Ultimately it is your decision.... and no one elses...B|

Enjoy.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Hey there, welcome to the forums :)
AFF L1 was my first skydive ever. it depends on where you jump, some DZ's might require a tandem while others might be chilled with you going straight to AFF.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky