BoostedXT

Hornet?

Ok the sabre I was looking at....turns out it has a patch, and though the rigger says its good to go. I am still leary about it. *shrugs*

I have found a hornet for $700, very local to me.

Has 200 jumps on it. Below is a pic of it.

I have read all 32 pages of posts made about the Hornet and very happy with what I heard about it. I think about things a lot and want to grasp the most info I can before making decisions. So yeah...I have read 32 pages....and all 33 reviews. Nothing but good.

Good deal?
Joe
PS- I hate being a newbie...lol.:P
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

Looks like a good deal to me, i've been jumping my hornet 190 for a couple of years now and loved every minute of it, they're a really nice canopy.

once after doing a 4-way we were all flying back from a fairly long spot, and i was at exactly the same height, and about 150 feet to the right of another jumper on a sabre 170, we were staying at the same height but i had much more forward speed and just overtook him.

when we got back he was like 'wow, what canopy is that??' kinda puts a smile on your face :)
and seeing that you are a student, it's a great intermediate canopy, i've had mine from jump 32, and never had any problems under canopy or landing. its good fun to fly but forgiving enough to let you get away with little mistakes.

$700 for 200 jumps is not a bad price that around $1.oo per jump from new.
I've had my Hornet 150 since jump 50 and love it, It can spank you though if you don't pack it right.:)

edited for Freudian slip:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

$700 for 200 jumps is not a bad price that around $1.oo per jump from new.
I've had my Hornet 150 since jump 50 and love it, It can spank you though if you don't pack it right.:)

edited for Freudian slip:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I have on in my new rig that I have yet to fly. How do you pack it so it doesnt spank you?

well different ppl do it differently.
But I roll the nose once, and after I 1/4 the slider, I pull it further towards the nose so that it further forward rather than quatered evenly.
I also PRO Pack
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I had a couple of fairly hard openings when pro packing, but then switched to the psycho pack and have had nothing but nice smooth openings since. If anything i now have to speed up my openings (they were about 800 - 1000 feet which is a bit too slow for me!!) now i do nothing to the nose and making sure it's flaked out when i lay it down, and the slider doesn't protrude out the front too much.

I've had my hornet 170 for 180 jumps and love it to. Don't know how the resell value is for it (I think I'm the only one currently jumping a Hornet i Norway. There may be one more.)

I just fold the 4 end cells once towards the middle. 1/4 the slider and pull it a little towards the front. I pro-pack. Haven't had a single linetwist the past 150 jumps and consistent openings. One or two have been a bit brisk but no real slammers. :)
The text on the warning label has worn of. I think that is normal for the Hornets. It's a good idea to write it down.

PISA which made the Hornet is bought by Aerodyne, and Aerodyne says they will fully support the Hornet while they are still in use. :)
I don't have much to compare it with, but I think it has a short recovery arch. It glides well and can bring me back from a long spot. It feels a lot more solid in flight than the Sabre and PD. Front riser pressure is average.
Double frontriser aproaces in turbulent conditions tends to be a bit bumpy, but at normal flight it feels stable through turbulence.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hornets are fine, as indicated above. But, one patch on a canopy shouldn't necessarily turn you off. You may easily snag you "new" hornet on a thorn and need that patch the day after you buy it. If done well, and with appropriate materials the patch isn't going to hurt anything but ascetics. If its across a seam I'd look much harder at the workmanship, but still not necessarily a problem.

I'd pick the one you want, not through out the Sabre due to a patch.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Well the biggest thing I am looking at is that the Hornet is right down the street. I wontbe able to see the Sabre until I already own it. Although I do think the patch will work fine, I personally would like to not have that in the back of my head, or buy it and be unhappy with my purchase.

The hornet owner jumps local to me and said he would let me test jump it for a day and see if I liked it.

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.

Thanks for the extra bode of confidence in my decision....:)
Its always good to hear a Master Rigger say good choice.B|

Joe

I love my Hornet. I did have some hard openings at first, when it was new. Now I psycho pack, after rolling the nose. It still opens quick enough, but much more softly. Most folks don't have trouble with the openings that I've talked to. You might want to test jump it and see what you think. It's a great canopy in my opinion.

Too bad you didn't buy one from South Africa a couple years ago. You could get a new one for about half of what a used one goes for now. They went way up in price, and now they're made by a different company.....Steve1