corpkid

Wind Tunnel before AFF training

Hi all,

I'm new here (well, I signed up a long time ago) and have been seriously considering going for AFF. I have done 3 tandem jumps over the course of a year and LOVED EVERY ONE!

I am a bit nervous (which I think is GOOD) about jumping on my own... I am fortunate as I live in Orlando and have not only the awesome Skydive Deland up the road, but also the Sky Venture wind tunnel here in town.

My (irrational) fear is that I'm going to be one of those noobs you see on youtube flailing and spinning out of control while two very freaked out instructors try to get me stable! Probably won't happen, but I want to ENSURE that does not happen! :P

To which I came across "Skydive University" who offers 20 minutes of training in the wind tunnel then the standard AFF program. (http://www.skydiveu.com/tunnel.php) It is NOT cheap at $1700... worth it?

Thanks in advance! :)
Dominic

You have other options.

Even 2 or 4 minutes in the tunnel will likely help a lot, especially with your confidence (which is very important). Then you do a 'regular' AFF program, that doesn't have to be so structured as SDU.

I think SDU is likely a great way to go if you're in a hurry to be a hot skydiver. If you're not in a hurry, then it may be inappropriate, and you may be uncomfortable with the progression.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I'm not really looking to be a hot skydiver right away. Just be able to make some jumps on the weekend and maybe start working formations eventually. I can probably get 4 jumps per day in DeLand so I'd probably be doing about 4-8 jumps a week.

I did find some reviews of the SDU and it appears you leave that wind tunnel fully capable of controlling yourself in the air - which is what I want. I'm not nervous of anything other than being placed into a situation where I'm spinning, and probably on my damn back and it's time to pull...

On another note - These days what does a used beginner rig go for about???

1. Skydive U (SDU) is a reputable training school. 

2. The SDU "Tunnel AFF" (TAFF) program is coached tunnel time followed by a MODIFIED / accelerated AFF program.

3. I would have NO qualms about sending a family member to Rob Laidlaw's TAFF program @ SDU. 

4.  There is nothing cheap about skydiving!  Tunnel time is generally cheaper than freefall per minute... But the learning curve is MUCH steeper. The best skydivers in the world use the tunnel A LOT to become better.  Compare the cost of TAFF  with the cost of regular AFF with repeating one or two levels... I bet that suddenly TAFF looks like a bargain!  I suspect that TAFF students repeat fewer levels.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

First of all, I'm not an AFF I so take what I say at face value. [:/] If you go to the tunnel first, make sure you maintain altitude awarness during and after AFF. I've heard of instances where young jumpers lose awarness after spending time in the tunnel. A student will only be in freefall for about 50 seconds from 13,500ft. a rotation in the tunnel can be several minutes. Any comments from an actual AFF I will be appreciated

First disclaimer, I've only got 15 jumps now, but if I hadn't done what you are thinking of just recently, I'd not post :) I usually jump @ Zephyr, but I did do some wind tunnel time b/w my B jump and C1 just because I have family in Orlando I was visiting and had been recommended before hand as "always helpful." Ultimately I think it was quite helpful even at 5 mins (which is all I had time for at the time) as it helped me find my relaxed arch w/o wobbling all over the place and turns became a snap, and thus, when I jumped my C1 I was much more confident I wouldn't be all over the place when they let go of the grips and let me float & track alone. So as a recent AFF student (did the tunnel time in Feb), I'd say I can't see how it wouldn't help, and it definitely helped me (not too mention was just fun all round).
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

First of all, I'm not an AFF I so take what I say at face value. [:/] If you go to the tunnel first, make sure you maintain altitude awarness during and after AFF. I've heard of instances where young jumpers lose awarness after spending time in the tunnel. A student will only be in freefall for about 50 seconds from 13,500ft. a rotation in the tunnel can be several minutes. Any comments from an actual AFF I will be appreciated

I am pretty sure that the tunnel coaches in the SDU TAFF program are AFF-Is and thus VERY aware of the "50 second" issue.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Tunnel time is the cheap and easy way to learn freefall skills. Tunnel time will save you a few expensive repeats during AFF.
This past weekend, I was in the wind tunnel - near Vancouver - and watched a bunch of first-timers. They flopped all over the wind tunnel in a way that I never want to handle AGAIN in freefall!

A few years ago, I told the local Drop Zone manifestor that - as soon as there is a tunnel near Vancouver - I never want to touch a freefall student, until they have a few minutes of tunnel time.

Rob Warner
Progressive Freefall Instructor

Too much to quote so I'll just say THANK YOU ALL!

Going with THE SDU program. Sounds like a really solid class and I appreciate the advice. It is NOT cheap, but I feel this is a luxury. A sick luxury, but one nonetheless.

Booking tomorrow and hope to be solo jumping by this time next month. My last tandem he basically had me doing turns left and right and I manned that huge canopy up until about a minute before landing!

I AM IN LOOOOOVE with this sport. BSBD brothers and sisters! Here we go!!! :)

There really isn't any such thing as a beginner rig. You can save money by buying used gear. Just make sure it's checked out by an FAA Rigger and make sure that the canopy choice is appropriate for your skill level. Check with your instructors before making any purchase.

These days what does a used beginner rig go for about???

Prices vary greatly, but figure at least $2000 without an AAD. Yes, there are complete rigs available for less then that, but you get into older components that don't have the benefit of newer generation technology. If you budget between $2000 and $2500, and are patient while shopping around, you can find something that will serve you well. If you can round that up to $3000, you'll have an easier time shopping and a better selection. Used rig prices can get up as high as $5000/$6000 for very new, barely used, top of the line gear (which you don't need).

An AAD will add $1200-$1400 to the cost of any rig.

Beyond all that, just get jumping and worry about this stuff later. You'll need to see how you do before chosing what size canopies would be good for your first rig, so knock out your first dozen jumps, then mention to your instructors that you want to start shopping for a rig and see what they say.

There really isn't any such thing as a beginner rig. You can save money by buying used gear. Just make sure it's checked out by an FAA Rigger and make sure that the canopy choice is appropriate for your skill level. Check with your instructors before making any purchase.

On this subject be very careful on what people call a "beginner rig". Here on dz.com there are a number of ads for 150 square foot gear that is being sold as "ideal first/beginner rig".

It is a good idea to get advice at your own dropzone on when and what to purchase though.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

True story:
We had a guy come in claiming to be an experienced jumper wanting to rent a rig.

When asked what size, he said, "Medium".
:D:D:D

Lol I can only imagine the response that received :)
Everyone dies.... not everyone lives!!

Since you live in Orlando I would recommend Ari Perelman. He is an awesome coach and could teach you all the basic stuff. The major problem I see is that you would most probably be so excited about freeflying after seeing him fly that you may end up spending much more later…:D
His website: http://ariperelman.com/

Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Since you live in Orlando I would recommend Ari Perelman. He is an awesome coach and could teach you all the basic stuff. The major problem I see is that you would most probably be so excited about freeflying after seeing him fly that you may end up spending much more later…:D
His website: http://ariperelman.com/

I have him booked for an hour in 2 weeks, cant wait!