BlindBrick

who makes LARGE mid/hi performance canopies?

I'm a very large guy looking for a new canopy. First let me say that I have no desire to swoop and fly my landings very conservatively. However, I want something that has some pretty radical performance so that I can play with it up at high altitude. I also want good performance from the git go so that I can stay on that canopy for many, many jumps without getting tired of it. I really, really do not want to get over a 1.15 WL, so I need something in the 270 sf range. Does anyone know of semi or fully elliptical canopies that can be made in such a large size?

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Take a look at the Sabre2 260. Its a 9-cell semi elliptical that can be flown radically and can have the piss swooped out of it (at the right wingloading), or can be flown fairly conservatively. That sounds like it may be just what you're looking for.

I've jumped a good handful of different Sabre2s ranging from 150 to 210 and have really really enjoyed all of them, they are really great canopies from a really good company.

Give them a call and they'll get a demo out to you right quick.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Aggiedave suggested the Sabre2. Sounds like a good option, also for your experience. Just don't forget 1 thing, the canopy doesn't change performance while landing, High-speed/ radical performance high up is alos high-speed / radical performance while landing and avoiding obstacle's.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Talk to Nightjumper about the new Firebolt - It's a fully elliptical hybrid that can be made in any size needed - clear up through tandems. Check out their website here

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I jumped a Firebolt 390 three times last week. WIth 400 to 430 pounds suspended weight, it was a bit sluggish. Mind you, I preferr sluggish canopies when hauling tandem students.
Overall I enjoyed jumping the Firebolt 390. Openings include several seconds of "slider fall," like the better tandem canopies. Toggle pressures were the lightest of any tandem canopy I have ever jumped and it had awesome bottom-end lift!
Oh and the Firebolt's hybred construction makes it easier to pack than worn out F-111.
Now if I can just convince my boss to buy a dozen or so for our tandem program ???

Hey there!

I would suggest that you contact Anabel at PD to both get information about the Sabre2 and perhaps to set up a demo canopy to try. You can fill out a demo request on PD's website (http://www.performancedesigns.com/demorequest.asp) or just call and talk to her (386 738 2224).

I would definitely recommend the "fly before you buy" approach, to make sure you like the characteristics of the canopy.

Edit: We actually make the Silhouette in sizes up to a 260 as well... it's a sweet canopy! That one is a hybrid which helps to make packing a little bit easier.
Try them both!

Blue ones,
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

Thanks for the info everyone.

Kolla, can PD upsize canopies? My exit weights going to be around 320 and the landing elevation is ~5000 msl. Given that, and a frank assemssment of my skill level, at this time I really don' think I should be loading up past 1.2 and probably closer to 1.1. That means at the very least I need something in the 270 range and probably closer to a 280.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

While I don't generally condone a higher wingload at your experience level, I do think it would be to your benefit to contact PD as kolla mentioned.

Wingloading and Parachute size do not scale the same. If I have an exit weight of 175 and a wingload of 1.2 to 1, and you have an exit weight of 320 with a wingloading of 1.2 to 1. My canopy will be more responsive than yours.

I understand and admire your concern but it could very well be worth your while to at least try the sabre 2 or the Silhouette.

Another Option would be a Navigator which is a PD canopy as well. It's designed as a student canopy but it does fly quite nicely if loaded up a little bit. Just ask "TallGuy"

I've seen and packed a very large Silhouette (320 I believe) used in a military application.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

get ahold of icarus. the say they will make what ever size you want. they make the safire 2 (similar to a sabre 2) and the omni (7 cell).

have have jumped the safire 2 and it is a very forgiving canopy if it needs to be, and it will swoop well, i had a nice 180 or 200' swoop on a 139 safire 2 just last night when i had to borrow my dad's girlfriends rig.

later

Hey again!

Kudos for planning to err on the side of caution!
We don't scale our canopies - each size is tested on it's own. Altering the size of the canopy or the length of the lines can change the way the canopy opens/flies/lands quite dramatically, which is the reason we make the sizes specific.

Hookitt has some good input too, but now knowing your exit weight I would recommend starting with a Navigator 280 (or 300) and then working your way over to the Sabre2/Silhouette or a smaller Navigator.
The Silhouette and the Navigator are quite related, but since the Navigator was initial designed as a canopy for students it's offers a bit more forgiveness - and is only available in sizes from 200 and up (the Silhouette goes down to a 135).

The Navigator is a fantastic canopy, and I think you will have a pretty good balance of fun and safety with any of those canopies.
However - as always, work with your instructors or S&TA - they are the people that know you and your abilities the best, and definitely want you to stay safe :)
Hope that helps - feel free to PM me or call me at the office on Monday if you have any other questions!
Looks like you'll be busy demoing for a little while :)

Blooos!
kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

Wingloading and Parachute size do not scale the same. If I have an exit weight of 175 and a wingload of 1.2 to 1, and you have an exit weight of 320 with a wingloading of 1.2 to 1. My canopy will be more responsive than yours.

But then again: Take two jumpers with different body weights. Give them a same kind of canopy, at a different size to give them the same WL. Now, at the same WL, at approximately the same speed, the heavier jumper will have more momentum on landing, increasing the potential for injury.

I'm a big jumper also why dont you buy a used main like a pd_300 or a falcon 300 and get some more jumps.You will have to buy a large container and reserve.I would recommend that you buy a good container and reserve new.Then you could get a used main for another 100 jumps or so.I just bought a pd _300 with 200 jumps for 210.00 on ebay.I've been jumping a falcon 300 that ive jumped at out the door weight of 310.It can give you a zippy ride.Make sure you get a big reserve strong makes some big ones as does Raven.If you want to talk with another big skydiver you can email me at anytime at [email protected]