Misslmperfect

i'm new, be nice!!!! :)

hey yall. i'm mel, from romeoville, illinois. i was told that this was the place to go first when you sign up for this website. so here i am! i've only done 1 tandem, then it got cold. but i had the BEST instructor in the world (thanks ross!!!), at SDC, and am SO psyched to get back there this spring and start AFP. (the hubby too!!!!) anywho, just thought id say hello and introduce myself. im really looking forward to getting to know all of you! any words of wisdom for someone just getting into the sport would be great! feel free to message me or whatever! thanks!

mel
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

yeah, im really hoping that ross is an AFP instructor as well. i felt so at ease with him. and in response to your suggestions, ive been reading everything i can get my hands on! i almost feel as if i'm going overboard, considering ive only done 1 tandem lmao. but i want to be as prepared as possible for what lies ahead. i just wish i didnt have to wait until spring to do it! the few people i did get to meet while i was there were so great and encouraging. im just hoping that ill be able to find my place there with the more experienced jumpers. i can tell you all are like a family, and im thinking its gonna hard to work my way in there! its like the first day at a new school...somewhat intimidating. oh well, such is life.:)
mel

Mel, WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME! Remember me? :P We had a good chat tonight. I sure wish I was an instructor instead of a 56-jump A-licensed newbie, 'cause you seem like an A+ student; willing to ask questions, willing to listen to answers, eager to learn. You'll do great.

Sure it may seem like there are cliques around the DZ (I don't know SDC but I'd bet they're all at least kinda similar) but if you stick around, maintain a happy look on (even with bad weather), listen more than you talk (I should take my own advice, and I usually do but sometimes I can't help myself), keep showing up, remain willing and eager to learn, and occasionally screw up to have to buy beer, you will come to be accepted and befriended. In my case, I brought home-made beef jerky and other stuff I made and passed it around like I'd made it for my family. I think that opened people up to me. :P Oh, I also tried to keep a happy-go-lucky attitude about me. The only time I'm moody at the DZ is when I have already tried three times to get my main into the d-bag and still haven't kept it from squirreling away on me. (And when that happens, I don't yell and scream, I just sulk and walk away and try again later, usually with help from someone.)

I wish you blue skies and fun times. Keep in touch with reports about your progress and adventures, 'kay?

:)---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Congratulations and good luck, girl! It's awesome that you and your husband will be learning together. Skydiving usually makes or breaks a relationship.

Just one little word of caution-- don't get too stuck on one instructor. I know that it's easier to build trust and have confidence if you jump with the same person, but there are benefits to having different instructors and their perspectives. The advice above is valid, in terms of listening to your instructor vs. just anyone, but have faith that the others wouldn't be instructors if they didn't have something to offer.

When I was learning, I fell into the trap of going with the same jumpmaster. I wanted to go with him, because I felt like I knew him and he knew me, etc., etc,. As it turned out his teaching style and my learning style didn't gel. After I repeated each level at least once, and was on my 3rd or 4th level 7 or 8, some angel intervened. I was so much better off. Of course, that was just my experience, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Again, congrats and good luck! Can't wait to see you when you're all licensed and at the boogies:)

Welcome to skydiving and I would venture to say we all can't wait till spring. It would be great if both you and your hubby get into the sport together. At my dropzone there are a small handful of family members jumping together. Myself presently trying to get my brother involved. My daughter will jump on her 18th birthday late this year.

*****Why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane? Because it isn't much fun if it's broke.****

Welcome Mel. I am a student still and will tell you that I was real excited to get the instructor I wanted for my FJC - HOWEVER - it rained that day and I had to postpone my actual Level 1 jump until the next day. I ended up with 2 complete strangers for that jump. But you know what? They made me feel right at home and I now trust both those jumpers with my life. I have had different instructors each time I was at the DZ. I have walked away with something new and beneficial every time. Granted I have my favorites and I didn't get to jump with ALL the instructors, but I got to jump with most of them and the knowledge they imparted (and are still imparting) to me was WONDERFUL. Enjoy your AFP progression. Take time to read and learn from ALL your instructors. It is great fun!
FGF #6
Darcy

Welcome, You are going to love this sport. My 19 yo daughter has 3 static line jumps and will start AFF this spring too. It was real privilege watching her over come her fear. Now,she loves this sport and can't wait to start her AFF training. Good Luck and Blue Skies

Dave Smith

In Christ
Dave Smith

Welcome to the Blue World. Keep your chin up, spring is fast approachig. Getting to know people at the DZ is easy, them getting to know you is a little more difficult, but it will all be good in the long run. Hey. March 13th isn't far off. Go to safety day, listen, learn, ask questions, introduce yourself to lots more skydivers then you knew there really were there. Blue Ones
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

thanks! im not aware of what safety day is, but i'll look into it. i also know that the spring expo is gonna be going on at SDC, and im really interested in going. if any of you are in the area, or have been before, could you let me know if going to the expo would be worthwhile for me? im sure a lot of it will be over my head, but im also sure i can probably learn a bunch. thanks for the responses guys! i feel welcome already!!!

mel

I'll be at the expo along with a lot of other dzcommers. I think you'll really enjoy it. You may not understand some of the seminars, but once you go through AFP it will kinda make some sense. And you'll learn a bit about gear which is something all jumpers need to know.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

...am SO psyched to get back there this spring and start AFP. (the hubby too!!!!)

Hey Mel, did your "hubby" do a tandem too? I got my wife her first skydive as a birthday present and we've been jumping together ever since :)
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

that is TOO FUNNY! i bought my husband his tandem as a gift; i didn't even expect to to do one that day. i wanted to, but it was kind of like a 'make this day about him thing'. but when i got there i knew if i left without doing it, id hate myself for the rest of my life lmao. so i ran back in manifest and signed up. we even got to go up on the same load, and he landed about 30 secs before me. the best feeling in the world was running up to him after i landed and hugging him, knowing we had just shared the coolest, most amazing thing ever. anywho...its so great to have somewhere to blab about this!!! its been building up all winter :D

That sounds so cool to share something so neat. They had a deal on TV the other day where a TV show pretended that it was a game show with a couple. The guy did a tandem a head of his girl friend. He had a special banner made up for her which he open it up after he landed so she could read it from the sky. Then took off his jumpsuit which he was wearing a Tux under it. Had a flower arrangement and proposed to her after she landed. Definintly something they will share forever.

*****Why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane? Because it isn't much fun if it's broke.****

We even got to go up on the same load, and he landed about 30 secs before me. the best feeling in the world was running up to him after i landed and hugging him, knowing we had just shared the coolest, most amazing thing ever.:D

That is SO EFFIN' COOL! Both of you doing your first jump on the same load, landing nearby, and hugging!? That is AWESOME! I can barely imagine how amazingly cool that felt.

I gotta think that's probably not the most common thing to happen. You're blessed!

---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Welcome! Join USPA, get a 2004 SIMS. Another book you might like is Skydiving in Eight Days by Miles Clark. A little dated, but still good. Also The Skydiver's Survival Guide by Kim Emerson and Marcus Antebi. Full of useful stuff for a jumper at any level.

Have fun!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy