PackerBarry

dual main closing loops

has anyone ever heard of using two main closing loops? friend is jumping in mexico at the moment and emailed a cool thing that the local jumpers just taught him... putting two closing loops on the main closing loop grommet and then feeding them both through the main container grommets and then inserting the pin through both loops.... not sure I like the sound of this procedure.... idea is that if one breaks, the other is there... what if you just maintain your closing loop properly in the first place? just wanted some thoughts, he can barely pack his own main and thinks that this is the best thing since sliced bread, I think that at the very least it's useless and at worst it's a recipe for a pilot chute in tow...

That's unnecessary redundancy thats more trouble than it's worth. If the loop is going to break it should be quite obvious. He’ll grow out of that practice, or one would hope.

If you do want a cool trick, make a closing loop with a loop on both ends so when one wears out, just put the washer on the other side of the knot and use the other end.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

That's unnecessary redundancy thats more trouble than it's worth. If the loop is going to break it should be quite obvious. He’ll grow out of that practice, or one would hope.

If you do want a cool trick, make a closing loop with a loop on both ends so when one wears out, just put the washer on the other side of the knot and use the other end.

Its worked for me for years.:P
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

When I started, I used 550 line with the sheath around the 7 inner strands. The outer sheath would split open easily, but the 7 inner strands were each ~70 lb strength. This was a lot of redundancy.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I've got a highly experienced rigger friend who does that on his rig.. (uses two main closing loops.) I think that it's unnecessary. But I also think that if doing something small like that contributes even remotely to the prevention of an incident, where is the harm? Not everyone thinks it is silly, look at a strong tandem rig, they've got that idea pretty much integrated into their rig design.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I also think that if doing something small like that contributes even remotely to the prevention of an incident, where is the harm?

*Potentially*, the harm is that the solution, while reducing risk A, increases risk B.

In this case, it might be that the potential for container lock is increased in an effort to reduce the chances of premature container opening.

I'm inclined to simply replace the loop once it starts showing signs of wear. It's quick, easy and cheap.

Why complicate it?
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

I would have to agree with you, about the 2-loops and 'possible' container locks. Some of the material I've seen some folks use for closing loops. I've seen 'main' loops made out of shoe lace! Try two of those through your grommet!:S The double ended loop is a great idea.

Chuck

Before I got my own gear, I rented... there was one rig I liked to rent and for like 3 weekends in a row, I would check the pin after getting it from the DZ and it needed the loop replaced - I guess someone else renting it was being rough on it.

I got my own Vector III (new) and have put about 130 jumps on it... the closing loop still looks almost brand new, I just had to tighten it once near the beginning. I'm very gentle with it.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

When I started, I used 550 line with the sheath around the 7 inner strands. The outer sheath would split open easily, but the 7 inner strands were each ~70 lb strength. This was a lot of redundancy.

First, I am not a rigger.

What you describe is bad ju-ju... In the "old days", that was a common practice. However, the seven inner lines can slide around and bunch up inside the hollow outer sheath, creating a lump. That lump can prevent the loop from sliding through the grommet, causing a container lock. It became standard practice to remove those seven inner lines, and use only the hollow sheath.

Granted, that means it's not as strong, but it doesn't have to be 550 lbs. strong for a closing loop. You just have to watch for wear and replace it when it gets frayed.

Slipping the pull-up cord underneath the pin before yanking it out of the loop helps prevent friction burns on the critical inner radius of the closing loop, greatly extending its life.

Now that is a great idea. Thanks, Tim!

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD