SkydiveNFlorida

Hello! Almost new diver here (FLORIDA)...

Just thought i'd introduce myself. My name is Angela. I live in South Florida. I am trying to find a place to skydive this weekend.

Decided that I want to do straight AFF. I have been in contact with Palm Beach Extreme Sports, but I think that the man, Sam, seems to not like me:( Maybe because I don't want to do tandem. The chief instructor, Dave Cole, seems nice. I'm hoping he'll call me back so I can confirm.

Great to be here, will be doing much reading. Any tips or info are certainly welcome, any locals out there?

Angela.

Welcome! We're from Florida (Tampa) but we are currently in Indiana. Glad to hear of your new interest of skydiving! You life is about to change for the better! I am new too, just 6 jumps from my A license. I did a tandem first, I am glad I did, I was just along for the ride. It allowed me to also know what to expect on my cat a for aff. Good luck & blue skies! Oh how far are you from Miami? There is a girl there who jump there, here name is Kat, she is real cool & and an awesome skydiver.

Hello. Nice to meet you and thanks for the welcome! I've thought about the tandem, but read many stories of those who did them, and those who didn't, and I really think i'd rather go straight aff. I'm about 30mi from Miami, I live in Plantation. If you're ever going to be in the area, drop a line:)

Angela.

Welcome Angela! Actually, do not worry about people liking you on the phone as I am sure that everyone will help you before, during and after the jumps. Try to be a good student and all will be fine. You'll win them over.

I also did the AFF1 without a tandem, but I was scared out of my wits! A tandem first would help, but it is NOT necessary. If you want to go for an AFF1, then have fun! Let us all know how it went on Monday. :)
Btw, you can PM me if you'd like to chat!

Thanks all! I spoke to PBXtreme, and they cannot do the aff course on Sundays due to that being their only fly day. So, i'm going to have to explore other options. Im looking at Miami Skydive and Sebastian Skydive, though Miami is probably much more reasonable as far as location is concerned.

Yeah, I really want to do straight aff, i'm sure i'll be scared outta my wits, too, i'm hoping to be able to afford pictures, but if not, i'll definitely get some when I make my first on my own jump... .assuming all goes well with this and I don't get nausea.

Guess that's another question, I get motion sickness on certain things. Like some boats, and on roller coasters. But, I went on the sky coaster at Grand Prix and was fine, straight down, and up, no flips, I get all disoriented and that is why I think I get nausea. Should I take some kinda dramamine 4 this? How long b4 can I eat? I eat like every 2 hrs normally.

Thx!
Angela.

Angela,

Welcome aboard and we would like to invite you to get addicted to this great sport. You will....

As an advice, Vanillaskygirl was right, it is not necessary. You could take a lot of advantage if first you try the wind tunnel for 10 minutes first
(+- $100), located in Orlando, an 1.5 hrs from Sebastian. Or about 4-5 from Plantation.

You will save much more and that will give you a great idea what freefalling is all about, besides learning a few skills that will let you fly through AFF a lot quicker, for even cheaper than trying Tandem.

I tried this with a whufo friend of mine, now he is getting his AFF practice in the tunnel before even going to AFF, and he is doing really good.....

Anyways, good luck, be safe and blue skies!
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

You will not feel nauseous once you are in freefall. Trust me. You can't tell that you are actually physically falling when you are in your arch. I hear nausea can happen to a tandem under canopy, but I think that you will be too busy as an AFF student trying to fly your canopy to worry about being sick.

Whatever you do, Please DO NOT take any medications before freefall. DO NOT take dramamine. This is VERY dangerous. You need to have sharp reflexes. This is your life that we are talking about. I have daily medication that can make me drowsy, so I never take it until after I am done jumping. Please PM me if you want to know the effects that similar medication can have in the air. Good luck! :)

Welcome Angela.

I completely agree with Juanesky in regard to the tunnel experience. I am an AFF student who did do 2 tandems first. For me the tandems are what got me psyched about the sport. I've had a few troubles with stability and tracking during my aff progression, so I went to the tunnel in Orlando and did 20 minutes. It helped immensely. BTW, the exact price right now is $135 for 10 minutes. Well worth it when you consider it is equivalent to 10 skydives (simulated ofcourse).

Good luck,
Chris

Hello again. I am taking my boyfriend with me, and he is not sure he wants to do the whole program thing, and so we're gonna go do tandem dives, instead. I am hoping to get booked up at Sebastian as I hear the view is amazing. As far as AFF, I suppose that i'll see how into it he is, and I guess how excited about it I am once i'm really falling from the sky:D hehe. I am so excited!!

I'll probably try the wind tunnel sometime if I really like this tandem thing, that way I can get some kind of feel of control while falling.

I'm gonna start a post about what else there is 2 do in Sebastian while i'm up there.

Thanks to all for their advice!
Angela.

lol!! Well, this is 'kinda' (I say that loosely) his birthday present. I have always wanted to dive, and I know he wants to, so I figured i'd take him. I figure, not that bigga deal, i'll do the tandem with him, and if he changes his mind later, he can do AFF with me, if not, well, guess i'm on my own. We haven't been dating long at all, but still, this is his birthday present (hehe, right;) )

Thanks 4 ur 2 cents. Man, I almost wanna go spend them toward my aff now *sigh*. Who knows maybe i'm a total pissant and can't handle falling from the sky..... damn, that doesn't sound right:P

Angela.

Angela, it sounded like you really wanted to do AFF1. You shouldn't let you BF convince you to just make a tandem. If the two of you go to the DZ on the same day, then you can always do AFF1 while he does a tandem. Sometimes, I have seen tandems sit around waiting for hours, so you may as well be in AFF1 ground school, while you are there. Also, if you become uncomfortable with it before getting on the plane, then you can always just tell them that you'd like to do a tandem instead.

It's not like the two of you will be jumping out from the plane at the exact same time anyway, even if you both do tandems, because you will be attached to two different people! Just tell the instructors that you both want to be on the same load for your first time. You can be next to each other on the plane and everything. This way, he can be there for your first AFF jump. :)

Yeah, I know I should, but now I booked the tandems, and it all the way up in Sebastian, i'm not sure how far that is or if I wanna committ to running through the whole program up there cuz it might be too far. I hear it is an awesome view, so I figured, if doing a tandem, why not there?. then, I will probably sign up for the ISP at Clewiston because I could probably go every weekend or nearly every wknd, and even pay family a visit up that way.

Do you think this'll ruin my whole first time thing? Is it like i'll never get that high again, and it wouldn't have been on my own the first time... gee, I almost wanna make a trip up there on Saturday and take the darn AFF ground school and do my 1st aff on Sunday, but, it is like 137mi away, and Clewiston is only 87mi away.

aaaahh! more thoughts if u can..

Angela.

Angela,

At 13500-15000 ft high, you will always get a great view regardless if is on desert, close by the sea, or moutains......or just cow pastures, trust me,the last thing you will be checking out on your first jump. You will be more on the line of thinking WTF am I doing???????

It it the first ride on a plane that will have a hole open to the wind, and your total disbelief of what you will do next.

Either way, the firs tandem jump you should enjoy it faster for there is almost no instruction. AFFI you will be more concerned on passing the level than really enjoying the flight unless you relax....very difficult the first time.

If I were you, I would just go ahead with AFF, for the faster you get it done, the most freedom you will get from it. No matter where you do your first aff, as long as you keep your log book correctly sign and approved by your JM, you can even call those 2 dz and let them know your plans and see if they'll help u out.

Anyways, enjoy and blue skies once more.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Maybe i'll stick to the tandem at Sebastian. It is supposed to be a pretty nice place, and it's always great to have a journey. As far as both places working together, Clewiston doesn't offer AFF, only ISP, where you do 20 jumps and get your A license. Hmm, I wonder how you get that license after AFF at the other school(s). ? . Anyhow, yea, maybe it will be more fun to do the tandem the first time, I won't be worried about passing a level, and then when I do my 1st aff, i'll be a little more comfortable, too. And, even though i'll feel like a puss, no one else will probly think that, i'm still jumping from 13000 feet:)

Although i'd like to get the program started, I can always just book that for the following weekend and start the ISP in Clewiston. I wonder if they'll let me pull the (rip) cord/pin on the tandem?.

Thanks again!
Angela.

I wonder if they'll let me pull the (rip) cord/pin on the tandem?

Yes

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Do you think this'll ruin my whole first time thing?

Of course not! It will be mentally easier to do a tandem first. You will still have loads of fun, no matter what you do. Just remember that the sky will always be there. Going for the weekend sounds like loads of fun. Hopefully you can do that. No matter what you do, I wish you well! :)

You should really consider going to Skydive Miami. They have an AWESOME view, of the Keys, Miami, the Everglades. It's by far the prettiest place I have ever jumped. The people are super friendly and the place is just great. Call and ask for the specifics of their AFF program. The instructors are amazing and some of the best guys I have ever met. I STRONGLY recommend Skydive Miami!!! :)

Hello all!! Well, the short story::: I'll be starting my AFF training on Saturday at 9am at Skydive Sebastian. B| yea!

Slightly longer version... broke up with bf, we've been having some problems... So, now I can focus on what is truly important.... almost falling to my death from 14k feet;)

Jumpergirl, i'm sure they are great, but i've already booked at SS, and, well, at SM, there isn't any food, or beer, did I mention food & beer;) I think it'll really be great up there, they have great reviews as well:)
Chris, "post whore" ? ? Explain pls. haha.

Thx again!
Angela.

Chris, "post whore" ? ? Explain pls. haha.

Post Whore:
noun; someone who posts constantly just for the sake of posting.

verb; post constantly just for the sake of posting.

adjective; to describe someone who posts constantly just for the sake of posting.

Chris

Hello again. I am taking my boyfriend with me, and he is not sure he wants to do the whole program thing

ROTFLOL............sorry I saw that and I said to myself if this girl is as serious as she sounds then the relationship might as well be over now. It's called cutting away:P....then I scroll down and see this.

Slightly longer version... broke up with bf, we've been having some problems

I'm just glad I wasn't drinking anything.

Smile relax and have fun if you can do those in freefall then AFF is a snap.

Good luck