SkydivinMedic

Hello!!

Hello to everyone! I have always wanted to skydive, but was always afraid to try it alone. This year I was actually able to find a couple of people that were willing to try it with me. I have to say that skydiving is absolutely amazing, and no matter how hard I try I can't find the words to explain it to anyone, my best response is to tell them to try it themselves. I have already finished my AFF training, and did my graduation jump last weekend. I have been able to convince many of my friends to make a tandem skydive, but then they don't want to go any further?? I don't get it?? How could just one jump be enough?? I know that I am looking forward to many, many years of enjoying it. I just wanted to say "Hello" to all, and if anyone has any words of wisdom for someone who is so new to skydiving, please feel free to share them with me, I am going to need all the help I can get! Thanks!

Welcome to the Family and enjoy the fun of throwing yourself from a fully operating aircraft while in flight. Remember, there is never a stupid question. When in doubt, ask. See you in the air.
Airborne
Blue Skies, No Wind
Feet and Knees Together

Lori,
CONGRATULATIONS! ...and welcome to both these forums and the sport!!

#1. Stay away from making a whuffo your significant other. ...If this is already the case, then lookout! It only very rarely (it seems) works out.

#2. Plan on spending at least 1/2 your life, and 1/2 your income (or more!) on skydiving.

That's it. Your done. Stick you with a fork. Your obviously hooked! :P

Again, WELCOME! and good luck with your progression. Do you know that "wise old owl" addage? It applies very well to someone at your stage.

Welcome, welcome, WELCOME! :)-Grant

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I have been able to convince many of my friends to make a tandem skydive, but then they don't want to go any further?? I don't get it?? How could just one jump be enough??

I know exactly what you mean... I convinced four of my friends to do a jump, only 2 of them every did a jump again. I guess some people just don't have it in em. [:/]

Anyways, welcome to the forums... lurk, learn, share... its allllllll good.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Hey, thanks for the welcome (it's great to be here), and the advice. Since I just finished my AFF training I am kinda already used to spending a lot of time, and money at the dropzone, although I am kinda looking forward to it being MUCH cheaper in the near future (with the exception of the purchase of new gear.) I'll kkep in mind the advice about a significant other, luckily I don't have one at the present time. I'm just enjoying life, and finding out what it's all about. Thanks again ..... Lori ;)

My dropzone actually has a demo program so I was going to do that?

Cross Keys is a great dropzone to be at in that regard! Absolutely I would take advantage of their demo program accordingly. No-brainer there. Please just listen to the "professionals" at the gear store who will watch out that you do NOT take equipment that is beyond your capabilities, and RESIST "advice", pressure (or even ridicule) it is possible that you might get from others to try something you might not otherwise personally be comfortable with. Be safe, progess at YOUR pace and HAVE FUN! ...I get up to Cross Keys about 3-4 times a season (winter-whimp of late) ;) So if around, feel free to look me up. We can make a jump or 2.

Blue Skyz,
-Grant

Welcome to DZ.COM and the wonderful sport of skydiving. I like you, experienced likely the same thrill when I did my first skydive and decided that one jump wasn't enough (that was 10 months ago). Yet I was the only one out of a group of sixteen who pursued the sport. It obviously takes a certain sort of person to do what we do and enjoy it. But there's no going back once you're hooked is there? ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

...I get up to Cross Keys about 3-4 times a season (winter-whimp of late) ;) So if around, feel free to look me up. We can make a jump or 2.

I would like that I am always up for meeting new people , and the suggestions that they may have for me. I am usually there every weekend, and occasionally during the week, let me know when you're heading up this way!! ....... Lori

Hello all just had a good read of this post and thought i'd pop in a reply as the time felt right.I also am doing a Aff in the near future and saving like a mad man.I have enough money now to get to Spain do the course and ample re-jump's when needed.I note in here there's a few people asking about what gear Skydivingmedic is getting and so on? May i ask if you dont mind how much a full rig cost's...I understand that the price will varey but ill be a newbie so i wont want anything beyond my limit's.I no i will have to get advice nearer the time and speak to the experts but it would be nice to have a rough idea on how much money i will have to put to one side?

Thank's Jon

Hey, good luck with your AFF, it's a truly amazing experience!!! From what I understand by asking a lot of questions and from the people I've been talking to at the store on my dropzone, new gear is going to cost around $3500 to $5000 depending on what you decide to purchase. You can also purchase pretty decent used gear at a reputable place, but for the little less that it will cost you for used gear, it just doesn't seem worth it to me! Good Luck, and BLUE SKIES ........ Lori

I had the same thought process on "used" gear but let me tell you - there is more room to bargain and in this profession - have not heard or seen many people who would sell you bad crap...like a used car person would. I wanted new gear something bad but then had a rig and reserve HANDED to me and was doing the happy dance for weeks.....still am actually. Not the colors I would WANT, not really the rig I would CHoose if looking, but it is AWESOME. I bought my main from a guy at the DZ (with 300 jumps on it) and have been jumping rental free for over 40 jumps now. Don't be so quick to say NO to used gear. I am surprised at how content I am with mine......Blue skies alll.......

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

I'll echo the used gear sentiment. Some of my BEST gear has been purchased "used". To this day I still miss my Javelin (which was cut off me by paramedics ...but that is another story), which I bought from somebody at almost 1/2 the price it would have cost new, and it only had @100 jumps on it. That rig was my BEST FRIEND for a long time. Because I had got such a good deal on the rig itself, this also helped facilitate my decision/affordability on a Cypres at the time as well.

Just KNOW who you are buying from, and if possible, demo whatever system you are looking at for a good 5-10 jumps if you can too. Even buying off the internet (square1 for example has a decent used gear section) CAN BE a good deal. Before making your final decision via this route though, have a rigger you know & trust evaluate it for you is all.

In conclusion, used gear is a very valid option if just like anything else, approached properly, can be a completely acceptable route to travel indeed. Don't completely rule this out!

Blue Skyz, and WELCOME to the sport!
-Grant

Hey friend. SunnyDee gave some great advice. I'm glad to hear about the Demo program also. My first and only system was/is a conservative one. My main is 265 square feet. My exit weight is 238 Lbs. This set-up has been very kind to me. Just have fun looking at and trying-out the gear. Be safe. Harry