1 1
Meso

Dropzone Template Upgrade

Hey guys,

I'm happy to announce that we've begun making some sweet new changes to the site, that is to say we're making it prettier and easier to navigate.

We rolled out the new template on the 'Dropzone' ( http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/ ) page today, as you will be able to see it's far nicer than the previous and allows for the linking and displaying of photos and videos to certain areas.

As with any change, there are often unforeseen little bugs that can pop up, so if you see anything that is a problem (errors, missing information etc) just make a post about it in the 'bugs' forum, otherwise just fire me a private message.

Some pages within the dropzone category may still appear in the old template form, this is likely due to cache and should sort itself out over the next few days.

I hope you guys will enjoy the new changes and agree that it's a big step forward :) Feedback is welcome.

We have continued the upgrade process and yesterday we put the new gear section live.

You will see that we have done a major overhaul of this section of the site, making it far more user friendly to browse, along with some other near little additions.

Feel free to prod and poke around, and if you see any errors, either send me a private message or post it in the bugs area of the forum and we will get to fixing it.

Hope you guys like the new changes to the gear section!

We've finished rolling out the next set of updates to the template.

You will notice that the photos page has a new and improved look to it.

As with the previous pages mentioned above, if you see any errors or problems when using the page, don't hesitate to either just leave a comment in the bugs forum or send me a private message.

Hey, Meso!

Any reason why the login prompt is no longer on the main page? It's one more step to have to click to another page to log in. I'm on a rather slow connection, so any extra page loading is tiresome. [:/]

Thanks, and congrats on the re-acquisition! :)
T
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Hey T,

That will be back in short order. if you look at the sections we've been updating you'll notice that the home page is kinda out of line at this stage. I'm working on that right now and it will be part of the next section to roll out. I the meantime we've changed how the pages are rendered to deliver a more personalized experience in the future and ironically that little legacy widget broke.

When the new template goes up over the next few days that will be back and better. In the meantime I hope the one additional page load doesn't annoy you too much. :)
(Hint: you can come straight to the forums if you want and the old login widget will still work here)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

In the meantime I hope the one additional page load doesn't annoy you too much.

Haha...I was going to complain about that too. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

It's laudable that you guys are improving this site and I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate it.
Even so many social media groups about skydiving and gear sales, I keep coming here almost on a daily basis for further reading and in depth discussions, and I'm sure many others do the same.

The new skydivers I meet (the ones passing B license and more likely to be retained in the sport) don't know about dropzone.com. Perhaps you should invest in spreading the word about it, to make it grow and keep it going for a long, long time.

From my perspective, the only major issue you have is the fake profiles/passport selling scams type of thing going on, which has increased. But I know you are trying to mitigate this problem as well.

Thanks for all the work you guys put into this, and making many of my dull work hours more "productive" to myself. Shhh...
Rob Gallo
"To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield."

Thanks for the comment! Appreciate the insight.

Our issues with scammers and spammers is part of the reason for the upgrade. We're moving to an entirely new content management system that will make it a lot easier for us to keep spammers out. That is one of our primary concerns at this point, reducing spammers and scammers.

Once the new site is up, we will definitely be focusing more on elements like advertising, and also making the site more useful to skydivers. We realize that social media has given all community sites a knock over recent years, and we know that we need to offer something special to keep this community going on this site.

There's a lot of plans in the pipeline, especially increasing content and adding additional useful features. This will all come once we're up and running on the new site :D