BASE1036

First rig out of the loft.....

This is the first rig to come out of my loft. I did it in camo with tan trim and red stitching. I have included pics. I will be hucking it tonight to see how (and ifB| ) it works. Ill let you know.

Some features I have included:
One piece legstraps
Articulated hardware
triple three pointed lateral connections
Totaly covered three ring attachments
added padding in the back, with pocket for added armor or stash bag

The next one I am working on is a 2 pin rig...A little more tricky....
Daniel
Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones
Tasers - Pepper Spray - Stun Guns and more!
www.dallassecuritysupply.com

Looks good . . .

You know, this is kind of out there, but as BASE jumpers who are also skydivers we beg for small things like a longer repack cycle when we should be trying to get rid of the entire TSO certification for skydiving rigs.

The cost of getting anything new certified is why skydiving gear has basically remained static since Bill Booth came out with the Wonderhog in 1975. Every skydiving rig nowadays may be sleeker and prettier, but how they work is basically the same.

We've proved through BASE jumping that many people with the skills and imagination can produce a rig that works, and sure, skydiving rigs are more complicated (too complicated I say) but there are people out there who could be building something better and cheaper in their garage if they thought they had a shot of being able to market it. The high cost of the TSO process prevents that and we, all of us, are the losers.

I bring this up as I was thinking of a getting a new Skydiving rig but when I looked at the prices I about gagged. No wonder skydiving is losing steam.

There would have to be some kind of regulations, for sure, maybe a committee of experienced builders who check out your design, but the way the current TSO process works right now it basically protects existing skydiving gear manufactures from competition.

I know some current BASE gear manufacturers would certainly build dual rigs so their BASE canopies could be jumped at the DZ if it wasn't for the TSO. Unleash their fertile minds on skydiving gear and who knows where it might lead.

And Mods, don't move this post out of the BASE zone, as I'm talking to BASE jumpers and don't care to hear from skydivers calling the idea blasphemy . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

I bring this up as I was thinking of a getting a new Skydiving rig but when I looked at the prices I about gagged. No wonder skydiving is losing steam.

No kidding. As of nine days ago, my local dropzone requires all skydivers (not just the students) to have an AAD. Guess who's looking for a new dropzone?

Sigh... Just like AADs, the TSOing has led to the bowlification of skydiving.

I am a firm believer that if bowling balls exploded if you didnt handle them just right...There would be a different class of people bowling....

Thanks for the compliment Nick...And I agree whole heartedly about the TSO thing. Luckily I have access to a TSO that I can manufacture under. I am working on my own skydiving rig now...I would love to be able to buy the rights to use the TSO exclusively. I looked into TSO testing, and the expense is more than opening up an entire new jump operation.
Daniel

Looks good and congratulations!

A base rig that looked like a soft briefcase would be my next rig if it was available.

Interestingly, I believe Marta Empinotti did not pursue the TSO on the innovative Sorcerer rig because of the cost.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

dude if heard of that AAD rule before and its crap I sold mine along time ago when I needed oney to jump thats why I love base all u need is some balls and good weather theres always stuff to jump

by the way nice rig Id jump it and the cooler is phat

I'm not necessarily a fan of the requirement that skydiving rigs be TSO'd, and I'm certainly not a fan of the related issue of mandatory AADs. But I'm not sold on the idea that skydiving rigs would be lightyears beyond where they are without the TSO either.

Take a look at the rig above. It's a nice-looking BASE rig (congratulations -- looking forward to hearing about the first jump). In fact, it looks in most respects a lot like other BASE rigs. I'd wager that it works even more like them -- that the canopy is hooked to the harness using the same hardware, that the packjob is similar... Clearly it has leg straps and even a chest strap. No major innovation even without a TSO.

Why? Because these things work. BASE rigs didn't evolve like crazy in the 80's and 90's because they were unencumbered by a TSO. They evolved quickly because they were new technology. Now they're not (much like skydiving gear is not), and accordingly they evolve more slowly.

Good work man, and very "Xtreme" !!! (sorta ;) )

I like it. When can I visit?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I've got mixed feelings on the other subject. Aveation on the whole has done pretty well with their record. You can say that we've been hamstringed and it's true but honestly the biggest problems have been from liability.
Now if you look at some of the other disaplins that were never really regulated you'll find a diffrent story. If all you've seen is skydiveing you'll have a squewed perspective. And base did come from skydiveing. Some of the most critical tecnologies and designs were stolen blatently from established rigs and harness designs. There was also an established tradition of... Quality and responceability. For the most part they were already riggers, or they had worked for manufactures or in lofts. So there was kind of a structure and a lot of it transferd over with the experence and tecnology. If you have ever been around ultralights or hang gliders you would have seen a very diffrent picture. It's gotten a lot better. Things are way way better then they used to be but I still see some scarry shit. I mean just black fucking death looking for a place to happen. And some really ignorant people looking for a way to die. Don't get me wrong there are some truly sharp guys out there as well. But if you think back there was a time when ultralights were scarry as shit. Wings snapping like twigs, stability problems, really bad construction, and don't even get started on the engions. Hang gliders can be almost as bad and some of those guys treat there gear like shit. No respect for what saves there life. Paragliders are getting really good but they started out pretty damn scarry as well. They still under build some of there shit. All of these sports have killed larg numbers of there pertisapents. I used to be like the rest of you, "Damn the FAA" and all that. Over the years I've come to reallize that we could have done a lot worse. The FAA is not the worst goverment office out there. Not even close. The truth is we have been really lucky in this country. In the end it's probably for the best that they have kept there fingers in even to the very small extent that they have. I'm honestly not sure there would still be any skydiving if it had just been left unregulated. There is a real chance we would have been out lawed or regulated out of exestance with out the USPA and the FAA.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

I know some current BASE gear manufacturers would certainly build dual rigs so their BASE canopies could be jumped at the DZ if it wasn't for the TSO. Unleash their fertile minds on skydiving gear and who knows where it might lead. :)

not every place requires TSO. Come over to Switzerland :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

damn man, i have barely started. i guess all i have is a stock machine, and leftover material people are sending me.

i like the triple articulation, but i dont like velcro man. at all. it has no place in parachutes i think. granted, its on my tailpocket and toggles... but shit, if magnets are really heavy.

Nothing like that first jump on the rig you stitched together yourself. Nice work. Did you build the harness as well?

Have fun!

Nothing like that first jump on the rig you stitched together yourself. Nice work. Did you build the harness as well?

Have fun!

Yes the Harness and container were built totally in house. I just finished the shrivel flap, and am about to rig it all up and pack it. Then I shall unpack it ...quit rapidly..hehe
Daniel

I'm envious. Congradulations. Someday I'll have my own loft :|
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

... i dont like velcro man. at all. it has no place in parachutes i think. granted, its on my tailpocket and toggles... but shit, if magnets are really heavy.

Velcro has saved my life many times, very consistently, and I wouldn't want magnets taking it's place. . .

Velcro had its place in the 80's, and still does today IMO

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

Canada also has no TSO type requirement. I know several people up here that jump rigs they built themselves. There are a few people up here building skydiving rigs commercially. For the most part...no problems but I know a guy that built a rig who didn't do the chest strap sewing properly and it came off on opening...probably lucky we were doing a crw jump when it happened. It wasn't a problem with the design of the rig...it was a problem with the construction...he just forgot. Which is possible with any manufacturer.

Does the TSO actually protect people? Good question but I doubt that we would ever see it change when extending a repack cycle provokes furious debate.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I used to be like the rest of you, "Damn the FAA" and all that. Over the years I've come to reallize that we could have done a lot worse. The FAA is not the worst goverment office out there. Not even close. The truth is we have been really lucky in this country. In the end it's probably for the best that they have kept there fingers in even to the very small extent that they have. I'm honestly not sure there would still be any skydiving if it had just been left unregulated. There is a real chance we would have been out lawed or regulated out of exestance with out the USPA and the FAA.

Lee

Its almost a necessary evil for a legalized sport. The cost of obtaining the TSO sucks but really, it outlines a minimum performance standard (good thing), then requires you create your own specs, drawings, and quality control system (good things) and then stick to them (good thing). Minor changes, or anything non-structural (for the most part) can be changed at almost any time, you are required to submit updated drawings though. Major changes are submitted to the FAA for approval, but as long as your QC is in line, the drawings are accurate, and it meets the performance standards, they cant really prohibit you from doing it.

Essentially the TSO process is to make sure you create a consistant product and be responsible for it. I really dont have a problem with then when I am buying gear.

Kudo's to the original poster for your ambition :)

Canada also has no TSO type requirement.

As I understand it, many countries don't have these type of regulations. If the case is, we haven't seen major evolution in skydiving gear because of TSO regulations in the US, then why haven't we seen major advances in non regulated countries? Many of these countries have just as experienced jumpers, riggers, and manufatures, with probably just as fertile minds (if not more :P), and still the mechanics of the rigs are the same (from what I've seen).

I agree, these systems work, but they also may not be the best. Perhaps it's like the automobile. There were not a whole lot of changes to the actual way a car works for a quite few generations, but now we're seeing that it may not be the best thing, and we're trying to change it.

Edit to add: BTW congrats on the rig! keep us updated.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

Do you have a rigger's ticket? If not, you should go get it. Great job! Way better than the first base rig I built. And yeah, it's quite unnerving making that first jump on something you built all the way through.

Dont have alot of time..But I jumped it and survived...The exit that normally takes me 4 minutes took me 45 minutes...Finally I heard my buddy udder the words...Come on ya Pussy...Just Jump!...Good Times!
Daniel

dude i hear that my friends always call me a pussy
by the way ill take my velcro rig over my pin rig any day
when your doing solo missions u dont need a pin check
and theres nothing like hearing that shevel flap let go
rock out man and nice color sceam

Interesting contribution indeed about the TSO.

In Holland, long time ago, there was no need for a TSO on skydiving rigs. (now, we do) We had a jumper who built his own skydiving rig – he works with a respected manufacturer now – and jumped it regularly.

So, does skydiving need a TSO? Well, yes and no. Yes, because without TSO we might repeat past problems. Don’t forget that the TSO was established and updated taking into account (fatal) mistakes in skydiving rigs. Certain parameters must be set in order to build something that allows you to descend safely to mother earth. Claiming now we don’t need a TSO is forgetting that we needed it in order to set e.g. strenght a harnesses. Without a TSO, you could build a harness out of ducktape. Well, good luck 2U. On the other side, with all the knowledge we have now, we could forgo the TSO, assuming everybody, including manufacturers, would build their harness/containers in a safe way. In that we, all base jumpers are guinee pigs....

Maybe changing the TSO process would be a better idea? Not jump testing 50 times, but just 5 times? And more ground strength testing? I am talking about harness/containers only BTW. I would still like to have my reserve skydiving parachute tested well. Mind you, there is no TSO on main parachutes.

The longer repack cycle asked for by skydivers as mentioned by NickDG is already there in many countries. It is just the old fashioned US that is sticking to the 4 months... Also interesting is the remark about the Wonderhog of Bill Booth. AFAIK the TSO given to the Wonderhog is still the same that applies to the Vector II and Vector III. BB was really smart, stating to FAA that all changes applied to these rigs were minor changes, which are allowed for and keeping the original TSO. So, all the base manufacturers have to do is line up, design a dual base rig, get a TSO on that, share it among them, and reasuring FAA that all developments after that are just minor changes.

Ronald

PS: nice rig. However, personally not to fond about velcro. Most skydiving rigs don't have it anymore, for good reasons. Sure, magnetic pads are to heavy, but tuck flaps with some stiffener works just fine, e.g. on my Gargoyle

all the base manufacturers have to do is line up, design a dual base rig, get a TSO on that, share it among them, and reasuring FAA that all developments after that are just minor changes.

Of course, there is no way the FAA will let a rig fly with a reserve that cannot be deployed alone. (without the main being deployed first).

dont get me wrong, skydiveing gear is sketchy as hell. like most of us, ill take my single canopy system out of airplanes a million times (and i do :))before i do it comfortably with tso gear.

i think that skydiveing gear is doing its job fairly well. we let the riggers who know whats going on do the complex stuff, so the million retard skyjumpers can figure out the simple part of the system.

The longer repack cycle asked for by skydivers as mentioned by NickDG is already there in many countries. It is just the old fashioned US that is sticking to the 4 months...
Ronald

The 4 month repack cycle doesnt bother me at all...(and no it is not a matter of $$) There have been too many times I have opened a reserve and discovered a FATAL mistake that was made. In that list I have found...
1. A reserve witn NO SLIDER
2. A reserve with 2 step throughs
3. One that was hand tacked to the reserve container
4. One that was not connected to the links properly
And on and on and on and on...Many of the repacks left for a few more months would have resulted in a fatality.
What needs to happen before we extend the repack cycle is revamp the process that is required for someone to get their Riggers ticket. Unfortunately common sense and attion to detail is nolonger part of the process.
Daniel